2011 BOA San Antonio

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in a way that makes sense. It would give less of a disadvantage to those performing on Friday. Usually if a band performs early, they will score lower than they should compared to other bands.

Hmm...not sure about that. There are some pretty amazing bands performing on Friday. I believe we'll see a fair share of Friday prelim bands in finals. I know that there are judges who tend to "save" higher scores "just in case," though. I still don't believe in requiring that seven bands come from Friday and seven from Saturday. That takes away from the competition. Who wants to make finals just because they HAD to choose seven bands from each day?

Trust me, Joe if a band is good enough to get in they will get in, and I think that will be the case with Round Rock. They are clean, have nice effect, and sound pretty good....

That can be said about pretty much every band that will be competing. Out of the Friday bands my top pick to make fiinals would have to be CTJ.

Hmm...not sure about that. There are some pretty amazing bands performing on Friday. I believe we'll see a fair share of Friday prelim bands in finals. I know that there are judges who tend to "save" higher scores "just in case," though. I still don't believe in requiring that seven bands come from Friday and seven from Saturday. That takes away from the competition. Who wants to make finals just because they HAD to choose seven bands from each day?

It seems like it would make it fair, but only if bands of equal quality are on each day. Now the good bands would have no trouble making finals when performing on Friday, for example: LD Bell will undoubtedly make finals. As for bands like Round Rock, Reagan, Spring and Richland, it will be a bit more difficult. They have to really leave a big enough impact for the judge to watch a show on Saturday and say "Hmm, this is good, but not quite as good as that band I saw yesterday." It's much easier for a judge to say that about a band he saw just an hour previously than one he hasn't seen for a full 24.

I'm not saying this policy should be implemented, because there is no way of telling whether the same amount of finals-worthy bands will appear on each day. It's one of the major fallacies in Region Band auditions: phase one consists of x amount of rooms from which a certain number of players are chosen. I know of specific examples of students who should have made the cut but didn't because of this style of judging.

Good luck to all you crazy kids this weekend at the Alamodome! I'll be there for the majority of Friday Prelims. Make sure to tune in to the TxBands Live Blog for exclusive reviews and content. Our Live Blog has a mobile-friendly site so if you're in the stands this weekend, pull us up on your cell phone!

I'll be leaving Austin in about an hour for San Antonio to begin my two day adventure of preliminaries. I've never watched this many bands before in a two day period so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I think I'll be able to make it! Good thing the Saturday afternoon block looks to be the best.

I'll be leaving Austin in about an hour for San Antonio to begin my two day adventure of preliminaries. I've never watched this many bands before in a two day period so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I think I'll be able to make it! Good thing the Saturday afternoon block looks to be the best.

It can be a lot of fun if you've never done it before. The best thing about a regional like this is that essentially all the bands perform at a high level of competition, finalists or not.

Edited by Shadow Weaver

Safe travels for everyone heading to San Antonio.

And best of luck to all performing!

I'll be reading the TxBands Live Blog today at work - thanks guys! ....

--PBD

I second that!! I too will be reading the blog today at work! Then I will be going to the 'Dome after work to see the remaining bands perform. Tomorrow I will be there at about 5:30am for my volunteer shift and then remain til the last award is presented ^_^

I can't wait-this is the first year in a long time that I have not seen any band, but one, perform!

Good luck to all you crazy kids this weekend at the Alamodome! I'll be there for the majority of Friday Prelims. Make sure to tune in to the TxBands Live Blog for exclusive reviews and content. Our Live Blog has a mobile-friendly site so if you're in the stands this weekend, pull us up on your cell phone!

Are you going to be covering Saturday as well? *crosses fingers* I have to work in the morning so I can't be there for Bowie 0745 prelim.