Westlake Finals

I have all the results of Westlake on the second page of my xanga for westlake. If you want to get the link, get it from my profile.

Even though the person typed it above, I have them in full detail.

Thanks! It's just what I was looking for.

Congrats on placing #2..shoulda been #1 IMO....and I was there. :D

The percussion judge was J.J. Pipitone. What would you say to him?

i would begin by asking him what his definintion of a good drumline was, first of all. lol, this guy didnt seem to know much about what he was doing from the results i saw. he put round rock first, which is a given, they were amazing, so anyone could have seen that. but some of the other placings were pretty questionable. also, the tape he gave us DID NOT match ANYTHING on the comment sheet we recieved. it was baffling really.

I really enjoyed RR show, but CP had an awesome show and I don't understand why everyone is kinda putting it down? Like out directors and other schools keep randting about how much harder their show is and its 110pages of drill!!! That's a lot to learn! I think CP keeps putting out impressive shows. I still love their version of the Plantets from last year! Great shwow!

Round Rock is dumb! Quit whining! CP won! Yalls show was decent. The marching was awesome and the drill was neat but the music.....ya. O and I love the fact that your school fight song is something from the sixth grade band book.....and yall still suck at it!

Yeah, yeah... We hate our fight song... I never said anything bad about CP's performance.

So stop flaming on other bands.

So I'm going to take this opportunity to share an unbiased review of the shows...

Perhaps the main difference between these two shows is for what they are (were) intended for. Because this is not a 5A state year, Cedar Park's show was written and designed for the Bands of America (BOA) regional contests.

Round Rock's show was probably designed (I will not pretend to know exactly how Round Rock thinks, so please don't interpret me wrong) for the UIL contest last week, and they secured a top honor of Superior (I). Round Rock's main marching season wrapped up on an excellent note, and except for some minor performances like their Festival of Bands tonight, they are done.

Based on these two very different goals and show styles, many conflicts that have been mentioned above can be resolved:

Time

• As far as I know, Cedar Park went over by about 30 seconds in their Prelims performance. Although this would have resulted in a disqualification in the UIL contest, Cedar Park did not recieve any penalties at Westlake. Though seemingly unfair, Westlake knew they had a long show beforehand. I also should mention that CP did not play their first movement and cut their final movement in half (though they played through it all in finals).

• Again, I reiterate the point that their show was not designed for the 8 minute limit, like Round Rock's show.

Judging

• Correct me if I am wrong as I do not have caption scores in front of me, but Round Rock beat Cedar Park in Music, Percussion, and Visual, and Cedar Park won Show Design/Effect and Auxillary. Congrats to both groups for being at the top of all 5 captions.

• With all respect to the judges, there is only one judge for each caption. Out of a 100 point scale, the judges make up to .5 distinctions between two performances. With only one judge for each caption, the winner is completely at his/her mercy.

• The idea is that with more than one judge judging each caption (as in 3 judges in the UIL contest, 5 judges in Area, and the 7 judges at BOA events) that the winner can be more accurately determined. I think we can all agree that this is a fair system.

• As for Westlake, the judging was fine for the event. It is no where near a large scale event like the 2 day BOA regional in San Antonio.

Fun Math

• This is a continuation of the scoring. Yes, the difference between Cedar Park and Round Rock was .65. The difference between Cedar Park and Dripping Springs (10th Place) was 7.1. Therefore, using math, the average difference between all bands would be .71. .71 - .65 = .06 not that big of a difference after all.

In Conclusion

From a truly unbiased standpoint, Cedar Park and Round Rock are both winners. Cheesy, I know.

• From a UIL standpoint, judging, and general "type" of band show presented at Westlake, Round Rock had an amazing performance and had a legitimate shot at 1st Place.

• From a BOA standpoint, Cedar Park was the clear winner. Their show is designed to entertain the audience and be remembered in history... not to win 5A state.

It takes a truly objective eye to compare two drastically different shows, and I am no where near having one. My band life has prospered on the DVD shows of Ronald Reagan, Winston Churchill, SFA, Bowie, and more BOA bands. That is what I am used to. And personally, that is the moving show that I enjoy.

I thank anyone that actually read that. And SDO99, I'm pretty sure that Round Rock's fight song is from Wisconsin. And I'm pretty sure the band didn't decide on that one because they liked it.

Round Rock's show was probably designed (I will not pretend to know exactly how Round Rock thinks, so please don't interpret me wrong) for the UIL contest last week, and they secured a top honor of Superior (I). Round Rock's main marching season wrapped up on an excellent note, and except for some minor performances like their Festival of Bands tonight, they are done.

I thank anyone that actually read that. And SDO99, I'm pretty sure that Round Rock's fight song is from Wisconsin. And I'm pretty sure the band didn't decide on that one because they liked it.

Yes, it's wonderful that you cleared this up to people because I do believe we are both winners.

Our show, in fact, was designed for UIL. I do wish however, and wonder what it would be like to play a BOA show. *sighs*

Yes, you are correct.. "On Wisconsin" is our fight song.