I don't think the question is if LD Bell is losing their edge or on the decline. If anything, I think it shows that several other programs are rising up to the level that Bell has achieved! Bell set the bar very high for several years and now we are seeing other bands match them. Even if they were "losing their edge", something to remember is that every band will have down years as well. Or if they were in a decline, bands are always more than capable of rebounding as well. Just look at Ronald Reagan. After a few dismal years (no offense of course!), they are really getting back up there. I believe that Bell has really pushed groups harder to improve so that they can achieve what they have which is one of the benefits of competition. I have to both agree and disagree with Lindsey at the same time.

I agree that programs can't/shouldn't be dominating all the time but when you're the best (subjectively speaking of course), then you're going to end up on top (normally). I disagree that it is demoralizing to other groups. Do other bands get down when they don't quite match up? I'm sure members of the band will feel that way. But I think the majority of the members will feel determined to just try harder. Some may even think "Wow! We came within X points of (Bell, Marcus, Duncanville, etc). We are really improving." I know both cases of these are true in Indiana. You all know that Avon has won 3 GN Championships in a row (one I disagree with as well). They have also won 9 of the past 10 years State Championships (we have State Finals every year for every class). Does it get old? Yeah a little but other bands in the state have improved a lot because it's their goal to beat "the man" as it were. Homestead (non BOA band) has beaten every other band in Indiana over the course of 10 years EXCEPT Avon. That includes Carmel, Lawrence Central, etc. That is why they consider Avon to be their rival even after losing in every head to head matchup with them. They don't get demoralized and give up. They try harder to top their biggest rival and it has shown. Though Homestead's design still looks like it's from late 90's early 2000's, the performance and execution has improved immensely! I really believe this is the case when it comes to your continually improving bands as well such as Bowie, CTJ, etc.

Could Bell be thinking this year "Oh we aren't going to GN this year so we aren't going to try as hard." Perhaps, but I highly doubt it. Bell is an extremely well run band and one that I don't believe would give anything less than their best. Sorry if I rambled a bit. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think we'll beat Marcus this weekend?

Bell has the ability to do anything "IF" they put their HEART and SOUL into it. I have seen Bells show at Arlington and they came in 2nd by .05 points, REALLY .05? I have to admit. Bowie was incredible because their music was crisp and LOUD and just beautiful with all the winter colors.Many spectators couldnt hear the trumpets nor the woodwinds in Bell's show. Bell Color guard was my favorite. BEAUTIFUL! Marcus is a fabulous band always has their "game on" when it comes to the music portion.I cant speak for their show this year as I havent seen it. As for Bell, to really knock it out of the ballpark and beat Marcus, Bell will have to be CLEAN CLEAN and LOUD

Edited by cons1909

Do you think we'll beat Marcus this weekend?

It's possible, but not probable. I haven't seen Marcus' show but it is hard to imagine it not being strong in all areas. There may be another band or two that will give you a run as well. Looks like lots of good competition in Conroe.

Do you go to school and band practice? You post at some odd times for a band student.

Has anyone had a chance to see our show yet? If so what are your thoughts and how are we going to do at Arlington?

I saw your show at Arlington and I was really impressed yet again with y'alls show and music. My favorite part was the beginning circle and how like perfect it looked. Music was GREAT as always. Good luck at y'alls future competitions!

It's possible, but not probable. I haven't seen Marcus' show but it is hard to imagine it not being strong in all areas. There may be another band or two that will give you a run as well. Looks like lots of good competition in Conroe.

Do you go to school and band practice? You post at some odd times for a band student.

Hmmm.. Centexbandmom..... you seem to question the validity of who is writing these post... 1st with FluteofJBHSOPE in another forum and now this poor fellow... what's up with that? <_<

Hmmm.. Centexbandmom..... you seem to question the validity of who is writing these post... 1st with FluteofJBHSOPE in another forum and now this poor fellow... what's up with that? <_<

Sorry about that. I don't mean anything bad by it. Others had previously questioned if this was a Bell marcher in this thread and then I looked at the time of previous posts and saw several were during school hours or typical marching band practice times. I suppose they could access the site during both of those though times and post. I also guess it doesn't matter that much. They really just want some feedback and validation - which is fine. Bell is a great band and will be a top contender at all events this year. I really liked their drill/marching and the sea of red flags toward the end.

Edited by Centex_band_mom

I don't think it's Bell losing their edge as much as it is them marching an extremely difficult show. Leon May has written some pretty intense drill, and Donald Hill has composed some intense music. Put them together, and you have the recipe for a very stressful show to perform.

That show is definitely EXTREMELY difficult in every single way.

My biggest question when watching their show this year is WHERE ARE THE FIRST TRUMPETS? In the preview video they put out they had an orchestral excerpt of the Shosty 10 they're playing where the trumpets are guns ablazin', pumping out super loud, high parts, but when I saw their show all I heard was the same part at least an octave lower. I never expected that kind of watering down from a band like Bell. And it's not just one part...there's just a general absence of trumpet this year, which is odd given their historically famous trumpet line. I mean, they have a Facebook fan page with 400 likes...

Edited by mellopwn1

This may very well be the year that Bell doesn't take home a major competition.

That said, I just watched the show and I loved it!

Didn't mean for this one to sound rude. I just meant that they usually take home a regional competition then fight it out for SA and Nationals. I think the last year they didn't take home a major regional was 2005 (Yay for being old and remembering that far back.)

My biggest question when watching their show this year is WHERE ARE THE FIRST TRUMPETS? In the preview video they put out they had an orchestral excerpt of the Shosty 10 they're playing where the trumpets are guns ablazin', pumping out super loud, high parts, but when I saw their show all I heard was the same part at least an octave lower. I never expected that kind of watering down from a band like Bell. And it's not just one part...there's just a general absence of trumpet this year, which is odd given their historically famous trumpet line. I mean, they have a Facebook fan page with 400 likes...

I TOTALLY agree! In the first block its almost as if only 1/3 of the Trumpets are playing, way too soft. I saw Bell at Arlington regionals and Conroe this weekend an I was sitting in the middle of the stadium, Im sure the guys at the top had a hard time hearing. I love the Shosty music and Ive heard much smaller bands perform that piece much bolder than Bell. I must agree that they were performing better in Conroe than at Arlington but I still cannot hear the trumpets. If Bell can kick it up another notch and practice practice before Super Regionals than they have a chance. Does the incredibly difficult music and drill make a difference to the judges? Marcus had a safe drill and strong clean muscial performance, but to me, it was not as extertaining as in years past.If Bell can step up the music and make the drill cleaner then they will be GREAT! The guard was amazing and I hear they are going to be just STUNNING at San Antonio. Good Luck!

Don't worry we still have a lot to add before BOA SA finals!

I attended the HEB contest and wanted to say....what a difference from Arlington BOA! By the end, I had to remind myself to breath. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you all at BOA-SA. I found your show so much more engaging and exciting this time. And with all due respect to Marcus.....I found Bell's show so much more engaging and exciting. You always hear from the professionals about Marcus' music capabilities....which I completely respect. However, I found their marching show relatively simple and predictable. There needs to be something said for the passion and emotion that sparks a show....and Bell has it, in humble my opinion.

I attended the HEB contest and wanted to say....what a difference from Arlington BOA! By the end, I had to remind myself to breath. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you all at BOA-SA. I found your show so much more engaging and exciting this time. And with all due respect to Marcus.....I found Bell's show so much more engaging and exciting. You always hear from the professionals about Marcus' music capabilities....which I completely respect. However, I found their marching show relatively simple and predictable. There needs to be something said for the passion and emotion that sparks a show....and Bell has it, in humble my opinion.

I totally agree with you. Yes, Marcus can play very well and they are very clean visually, however, their show is very boring - IMO.

My impression for this season is that LD Bell went for a slow growth approach to their show, putting together a far more difficult show than they normally do, sacrificing early season competitiveness for late-season power. As much as I'm rooting for Bowie (cause of their director,) I doubt Bowie will pull a repeat, and I disagree with the claims that this is a bad year for Bell. I would not be even slightly surprised if they took visual at SA, and not entirely surprised if they beat out Marcus. The part of this impression I don't understand is why Bell would choose a harder book than they've done in recent years on a year when they aren't going to Nats.

I totally agree with you. Yes, Marcus can play very well and they are very clean visually, however, their show is very boring - IMO.

As for Marcus being boring, I disagree. Their marching has never been the most exciting thing on the field, (though they're VERY good at it,) but their music consistently captivates me in a way other marching bands don't. I find them just as exciting, but for an entirely different reason.

My impression for this season is that LD Bell went for a slow growth approach to their show, putting together a far more difficult show than they normally do, sacrificing early season competitiveness for late-season power. As much as I'm rooting for Bowie (cause of their director,) I doubt Bowie will pull a repeat, and I disagree with the claims that this is a bad year for Bell. I would not be even slightly surprised if they took visual at SA, and not entirely surprised if they beat out Marcus. The part of this impression I don't understand is why Bell would choose a harder book than they've done in recent years on a year when they aren't going to Nats.

As for Marcus being boring, I disagree. Their marching has never been the most exciting thing on the field, (though they're VERY good at it,) but their music consistently captivates me in a way other marching bands don't. I find them just as exciting, but for an entirely different reason.

....Exciting, Really....IYO. I found myself looking at my watch to see how much more time is left to go.....

Ha ha. Yes, I kept thinking...Ok Amanda, ok Amanda (the band director), here it comes, but it never did...the excitement that is...

We must be looking for different things, then. For me it's always the exquisitely performed ballads that get me. Last year the cut from the Requiem, two years ago it was the Wagner, three years ago the trumpet parts in Mahler 7, and the everything parts in October and four years ago it was the finale from Candide, though I also really liked the following part. (does anybody know what Marcus's part 5 was in 2007?) . I was sad that their oboe/english horn soloist graduated...he was incredible.

At any rate, IMO it is really difficult to choose a favorite among the truly elite programs in the country, because they all have their own distinctive way of taking the field, and do so with such passion and power.

We must be looking for different things, then. For me it's always the exquisitely performed ballads that get me. Last year the cut from the Requiem, two years ago it was the Wagner, three years ago the trumpet parts in Mahler 7, and the everything parts in October and four years ago it was the finale from Candide, though I also really liked the following part. (does anybody know what Marcus's part 5 was in 2007?) . I was sad that their oboe/english horn soloist graduated...he was incredible.

At any rate, IMO it is really difficult to choose a favorite among the truly elite programs in the country, because they all have their own distinctive way of taking the field, and do so with such passion and power.

I have enjoyed their shows in the past. Yes, the oboe soloist was always great to listen to. Maybe they will add more to the show and make it entertaining, like their shows have been in the past. More than likely it will be Marcus and Bell fighting for the title. Bell's show is so difficult this year. If they can pull it off in San Antonio, they should win.

I have enjoyed their shows in the past. Yes, the oboe soloist was always great to listen to. Maybe they will add more to the show and make it entertaining, like their shows have been in the past. More than likely it will be Marcus and Bell fighting for the title. Bell's show is so difficult this year. If they can pull it off in San Antonio, they should win.

That certainly wouldn't surprise me. I find it rather odd that Bell is taking a late-blooming approach to their show this year, and I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems to me that Marcus is more typically a late season band than Bell, but Bell really seems to be working the difficulty curve this year. Musically Bell's book is approaching Marcus's this year, and their drill book is a whole different beast. I think that if both bands magically performed their shows with absolute perfection, Bell's show this year would have an edge, but they will really have to master their program if they want to take it.

That being said, if there are two programs in the state who can be counted upon to master their programs, it's Bell and Marcus.