That certainly wouldn't surprise me. I find it rather odd that Bell is taking a late-blooming approach to their show this year, and I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems to me that Marcus is more typically a late season band than Bell, but Bell really seems to be working the difficulty curve this year. Musically Bell's book is approaching Marcus's this year, and their drill book is a whole different beast. I think that if both bands magically performed their shows with absolute perfection, Bell's show this year would have an edge, but they will really have to master their program if they want to take it.

That being said, if there are two programs in the state who can be counted upon to master their programs, it's Bell and Marcus.

While I agree that their visual book is extremely demanding, I really don't think think their music is terribly challenging. Marcus and Bowie, to name two, seem much more technically demanding....but I'm just one man.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate enough to see Bell's show at UIL Region tuesday and they sounded like the typical Bell but their marching fundamentals were not very consistent or defined which could prove to hurt them at SA.

I also saw Bell's UIL performance at UIL as well as their HEB exhibition from the Saturday before. I was extremely moved by the constant pace and speed that Bell is moving at, they are getting better every time they march. Regarding the marching fundamentals, Bell is constantly changing things up to better themselves for SA, learning new material all the time can be tough.There is still 2 weeks to go until Super regionals and like in 2009 where Marcus won the Arlington region that year. Bell won the Super regionals.I loved Marcus music, Im not as happy with their show this year as I was wowed with them last year. While Im a James Bowie fan, and definitely think they will give both Marcus and Bell a STRONG run for the money. I have seen the changes in Bell's show since Arlington, as Daniel Sanchez put it at HEB exhibition, about LDBell..OMG! wow!

Cant wait for SanAnton, its going to be a fight to the finish!!

Always interesting to see peoples opinions on the bands...especially the ones who are consistently recognized. We all have opinions on who marches a harder show, or has better visuals...etc etc....

Bottom line is that all these kids work their tails off and reading things like who is better than who from most people who are neither judges or instructors is annoying. These kids from all of these schools who work tremendously hard and unfortunately have to be judged by others on how well they did.

In my book - they have all won just getting through this HOT summer and all have exciting shows.

I am wowed and amazed by at least one if not more elements of every show I see on the field because of the hard work and determination of these kids!

So let the judges who hopefully are objective decide here - not us - we will always be on the side of our favorite band or director - that is just the way we are built, subjective and not objective.

As for the comment of the person looking down at their watch during one of the bands above - really? Everyone has a right to an opinion and I guess that is what forums seems to be about, but remember that the kids are the ones who really matter.

• 2 weeks later...
We must be looking for different things, then. For me it's always the exquisitely performed ballads that get me. Last year the cut from the Requiem, two years ago it was the Wagner, three years ago the trumpet parts in Mahler 7, and the everything parts in October and four years ago it was the finale from Candide, though I also really liked the following part. (does anybody know what Marcus's part 5 was in 2007?) . I was sad that their oboe/english horn soloist graduated...he was incredible.

At any rate, IMO it is really difficult to choose a favorite among the truly elite programs in the country, because they all have their own distinctive way of taking the field, and do so with such passion and power.

Don't know if you got an answer about Marcus' part 5 from 2007 or "Awesome Blossoms" as it was referred to in their show, but it was "Folk Festivals" from "The Gadfly" by Dmitri Shostakovich