Who would you like to see win 4A State this year?

I wish we could get the entire state into the "great band" arena. There are a couple of good bands from El Paso, yet they rarely perform well at Area or State when they make it. Any ideas why? I have a feeling it's about $$$, since there isn't much out there. Needless to say, I will be pulling for El Paso Del Valle to represent the west Texas area!

Ever notice how many directors/staff are from El Paso out here in DFW? It's not the talent holding El Paso back, it's gotta be the money.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish we could get the entire state into the "great band" arena. There are a couple of good bands from El Paso, yet they rarely perform well at Area or State when they make it. Any ideas why? I have a feeling it's about $$$, since there isn't much out there. Needless to say, I will be pulling for El Paso Del Valle to represent the west Texas area!

Ever notice how many directors/staff are from El Paso out here in DFW? It's not the talent holding El Paso back, it's gotta be the money.

Not sure what you just said

Not sure what you just said

What I am wondering is why don't the El Paso bands do well once they leave El Paso in contests? Is it a lack of skill? Is it a lack of preparation? I am not sure.

I know that they have a few schools that do well in the local contest arena, but when they leave El Paso (or the NMSU Tournament of Bands), they don't do so well at area or state.

I know El Paso doesn't have the resources the rest of Texas has, but money isn't everything!

If you go to YouTube and do a search on LTBand0910, you can see Lake Travis' finals performance from last Saturday. After placing 5th in prelims, I believe they definitely earned their 2nd place finish in the finals right behind Dripping Springs. Not that I am biased or anything, of course! :D Go LT!

Place 1 Cedar Park HS

Place 2 Dripping Springs HS

Place 3 Vandegrift HS

Place 4 Centennial HS

Place 5 Friendswood HS

Place 6 Wakeland HS

Place 7 Newman Smith HS

Place 8 Waxahachie HS

Place 9 Birdville HS

Place 10 Sherman HS

These are my predictions for placements at 4A State. It was extremely difficult to decide this year in my opinion. I obviously know that there will be a lot of moving around in this list, but I still think these are the top bands this year. Lake Travis is also a contender that I couldn't fit in without full knowledge of their show. (I also haven't seen their show free from the noise of a football game). I seriously expected Friendswood to win it in 2009, but after seeing this years Dripping Springs show, I know they at the very least deserved that first place spot or second at the last State Competition. I have Cedar park as number one because I'm a sucker for loud and exciting shows, but as I said before, I can see a lot of movement in placement. I'm very sorry to hear that Poteet was disqualified, as I have always seen them as a strong band with good technique. Happy to see Sherman at State this year; I believe that their show had a lot of power and good sounds as well. I loved their show from last year and completely believe if they had played that this year, they would have been 2nd in Area at the very least. I may be a little biased being from Newman Smith, but it seems nobody is giving them some of the credit they have earned. They lost their band director to Centennial, who made first at Area (Congrats by the way), and their current band director (In his first year as head) was not at the contest. They also topped Waxahachie and Sherman at the Midlothian Contest a while back. (Just putting that out there). Just ready for a lot of upsets this year. Area F I think as well as Area B look really strong this year and should do well representing their areas at State. Hope everyone has a great time and reaches the goals they set for themselves!

If you go to YouTube and do a search on LTBand0910, you can see Lake Travis' finals performance from last Saturday. After placing 5th in prelims, I believe they definitely earned their 2nd place finish in the finals right behind Dripping Springs. Not that I am biased or anything, of course! :D Go LT!

Agree, I have seen LT show, you for sure have a shot at it

Very good show. Definitely the strongest flute soloist I've heard all season. They sound FANTASTIC!

Both soloists were All State last year. The flute was Junior last year and the cello was a Freshman. The cellist was also All State last year on clarinet, but could only be in one. Being a devoted band parent, we are very proud of ALL of our band members. Our first trip to state ever in the district's 30 year history! Thanks!!

Very good show. Definitely the strongest flute soloist I've heard all season. They sound FANTASTIC!

Both soloists were All State last year. The flute was Junior last year and the cello was a Freshman. The cellist was also All State last year on clarinet, but could only be in one. Being a devoted band parent, we are very proud of ALL of our band members. Our first trip to state ever in the district's 30 year history! Thanks!!

Have Fun! it is a great experience for both the kids and parents. It will be a proud moment when you see your band walk thru the tunnel onto the feild

I decided i'd do what I did with the AREA B results to the AREA D results, looking at the scores and rankings if the scores were grade based rather than ordinal.

First, heres the link to the actual results for AREA D

PRELIMS- http://www.uilmusicregion18.com/pdfs/2011_..._4A_Prelims.pdf

FINALS- http://www.uilmusicregion18.com/pdfs/2011_...D_4A_Finals.pdf

Here's what they would be if they were score based

PRELIMS-

1. Dripping Springs HS- 82.76

2. Hendrickson HS- 81.32

2. Vista Ridge HS- 81.32

4. Connally HS- 80.26

5. Lake Travis HS- 80.22

6. Vandegrift HS- 76.14

7. Cedar Park HS- 69.40

8. Cedar Ridge HS- 69.26

9. Jack C. Hays HS- 63.16

10. Canyon HS- 60.82

11. McCallum HS- 58.78

12. Smithson Valley HS- 56.34

13. Midway HS- 52.10

14. Lehman HS- 50.80

15. Rouse HS- 49.92

16. Samuel Clemens HS- 48.34

17. Hutto HS- 46.42

18. Marble Falls HS- 46.06

19. Crockett HS- 45.36

20. Waco HS- 43.90

21. Corsicana HS- 42.06

First thing i notice is that the scores are quite low, probably triggered by Cedar Park going first forcing the judges to leave room for higher scores. I don't think I've ever seen Cedar Park score below a 70 at any competition before this. Finalists remain the same. Interestingly, Henrdrickson and Vista Ridge who's ordinals tied also have the exact same score, placing them not far behind Dripping Springs.

FINALS-

1. Dripping Springs HS- 88.42

2. Lake Travis HS- 87.78

3. Cedar Park HS- 85.76

4. Vandegrift HS- 82.38

5. Conally HS- 80.58

6. Hendrickson HS- 78.66

7. Vista Ridge HS- 76.22

8. Jack C. Hays HS- 69.30

9. Cedar Ridge HS- 68.22

10. Canyon HS- 66.56

Conally and Hendrickson switch here, making Conally first alternate. Not much is noteworthy here, save the considerable gap between Vista Ridge and Hays.

They also topped Waxahachie and Sherman at the Midlothian Contest a while back. (Just putting that out there). Just ready for a lot of upsets this year.

Not to discount the great program you have at Newman Smith, your show this year is quite great, but early season wins/losses should not be used to count your eggs before they hatch. Just remember that they didn't put their closer on the field, and took everything that was given on the critique sheets very seriously. The first contest they put their closer on the field at, Area C, they very nearly swept in both Prelims and Finals.

I agree, area D has the best shot, whoever keeps it clean in finals will take it

I feel like Cedar Park and Dripping Springs will be first and second in prelims, in no particular order, with Centennial hot on their tails followed by Waxahachie and Lake Travis. Then an upset with Lake Travis and Waxahachie fighting for first and second, with Centennial and Dripping Springs fighting for third/fourth and a huge upset with Cedar Park in fifth place. Because we all know that literally anything can happen in the UIL circuit, especially with 4A being such a diverse, cutthroat division. I'd also like to say that Lake Travis's show is quite lovely, and I was surprised the first time I saw them. I keep trying to figure out where I've heard/seen elements of the show before, but I can't quite ever put my finger on it. Either way, I'm excited to see all the spectacular bands at State this coming Tuesday!

Edited by Symphomorphisis

Being a Lake Travis band parent, I know for a fact that our show "Silk Road" was written specifically for us and is copyrighted. I am not sure if part of it have been seen elsewhere or not, but I highly doubt it. Just my two cents worth. Best of luck tomorrow to all bands. It has been a long, hard road for all and may the best band win! Of course, I will be pulling for my LTHS Cavalier Marching Band! Go Cavs! :rolleyes:

Not to discount the great program you have at Newman Smith, your show this year is quite great, but early season wins/losses should not be used to count your eggs before they hatch. Just remember that they didn't put their closer on the field, and took everything that was given on the critique sheets very seriously. The first contest they put their closer on the field at, Area C, they very nearly swept in both Prelims and Finals.

I feel like Cedar Park and Dripping Springs will be first and second in prelims, in no particular order, with Centennial hot on their tails followed by Waxahachie and Lake Travis. Then an upset with Lake Travis and Waxahachie fighting for first and second, with Centennial and Dripping Springs fighting for third/fourth and a huge upset with Cedar Park in fifth place. Because we all know that literally anything can happen in the UIL circuit, especially with 4A being such a diverse, cutthroat division. I'd also like to say that Lake Travis's show is quite lovely, and I was surprised the first time I saw them. I keep trying to figure out where I've heard/seen elements of the show before, but I can't quite ever put my finger on it. Either way, I'm excited to see all the spectacular bands at State this coming Tuesday!

I must say I REALLY like your analysis! Naturally I am going to be biased towards Lake Travis, but like you said, it is anybody's game. Go LTHS Cavaliers!!! :D

Good luck to every single band competing tomorrow! No matter the results, everyone is a winner in the end. March your heart out and have fun doing it. I know that's what I will be doing. This year is the most difficult 4A State Marching Contest I have seen. It is too close to predict anything. Again, good luck and congratulations on having this wonderful opportunity to represent your school with pride.

I thought this was a band forum, not a football one? Anyway, at least he brought LTHS two state championships and then Michael Brewer brought the next two. Only 4A school in Texas to ever win FOUR straight state championships. The drive for number 5 will begin on Thursday.

With that said, LTHS's Cavalier Band has just as a good of a shot as the other 23 bands competing. Since this is our first trip ever to state, we are very happy to be participating, and wish everyone the very best of luck ---- even yours....

Lake Travis, the school that brought us Garrett Gilbert, needless to say I'm not your biggest fan ;) But yeah I saw your show and it seems great and I'm sure the kids will do great tomorrow.

Yep, was in a hurry when that was "written".... Yes, best of luck to everyone!

I think you mean "arranged" not "written." But with that being said I have seen Lake Travis' show a few times and I am a fan of it. Good luck to Lake Travis and all the other bands competing tomorrow!

I thought this was a band forum, not a football one? Anyway, at least he brought LTHS two state championships and then Michael Brewer brought the next two. Only 4A school in Texas to ever win FOUR straight state championships. The drive for number 5 will begin on Thursday.

With that said, LTHS's Cavalier Band has just as a good of a shot as the other 23 bands competing. Since this is our first trip ever to state, we are very happy to be participating, and wish everyone the very best of luck ---- even yours....

I'm just messing with you, as someone who goes to UT it was unfortunate that Gilbert was made the scapegoat for last season's debacle. But back on topic congrats on your first state appearance, I went to Wakeland (graduated before the 09 season) and I remember how excited our band was to make our first state appearance, and hey they got 4th last time so its definitely doable to come out and challenge for a medal. Good luck tomorrow.

As someone who graduated from UT and also watched Garrett Gilbert play at LT, I can see where you are coming from. His play at LT was NOTHING like that at UT....I think he was ruined by Greg Davis honestly! ;)

I'm just messing with you, as someone who goes to UT it was unfortunate that Gilbert was made the scapegoat for last season's debacle. But back on topic congrats on your first state appearance, I went to Wakeland (graduated before the 09 season) and I remember how excited our band was to make our first state appearance, and hey they got 4th last time so its definitely doable to come out and challenge for a medal. Good luck tomorrow.

As someone who graduated from UT and also watched Garrett Gilbert play at LT, I can see where you are coming from. His play at LT was NOTHING like that at UT....I think he was ruined by Greg Davis honestly! ;)

I read orangebloods every day so while I enjoy a good football discussion I think it was wholly inappropriate to detract from the Lake Travis marching band accomplishments this season by bringing up Garrett Gilbert on this thread. Lets stick to marching bands on txbands.com please! Thanks!