Who would you like to see win 4A State this year?

I completely disagree. When 5 music judges give you first over the course of prelims and finals, and one judge gives you fourth, you have to wonder what the judge was smoking to be different from FIVE other judges.

Completely different performances. I was there and the difference between the bands in Prelims was absolute, but in Finals it was a completely different game. Friendswood stepped up in Finals, but Dripping Springs stepped up even further. I personally would have had Friendswood just barely in 1st in Music in Finals, but I would not put any blame at all if a judge put them 2nd in Music behind Dripping Springs.

3 of the 5 judges had Friendswood behind Dripping Springs in Finals. If Friendswood would have marched better (they marched great, just not as great as DS), they would have won regardless of the other judges.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely different performances. I was there and the difference between the bands in Prelims was absolute, but in Finals it was a completely different game. Friendswood stepped up in Finals, but Dripping Springs stepped up even further. I personally would have had Friendswood just barely in 1st in Music in Finals, but I would not put any blame at all if a judge put them 2nd in Music behind Dripping Springs.

3 of the 5 judges had Friendswood behind Dripping Springs in Finals. If Friendswood would have marched better (they marched great, just not as great as DS), they would have won regardless of the other judges.

Why do you think Friendswood's music was "just barely" better? There is a reason Friendswood wins honor band every other year and Dripping Springs has never won

Why do you think Friendswood's music was "just barely" better? There is a reason Friendswood wins honor band every other year and Dripping Springs has never won

Thomas, not to be rude or anything, if you are a part of the friendswood band, you are making them look bad. Past is past, and if you honestly feel that way about what happened back then, all the more reason to bring it at state

Southwest High School has placed third, fifth, and second at the past three 4A honor band competitions. In 2007, we received a II at UIL region marching and in 2009, we placed 12th at the state marching contest. Just because a band excels in honor band competition doesn't mean they'll excel in marching.

That said, Friendswood is obviously dominant in both but the fact that they've won prior honor bands doesn't mean they'll automatically win the music categories at state marching. Don't forget that Dripping Springs is also a very good band when it comes to honor band competitions. The fact of the matter is that Dripping Springs played and marched exceptionally well in 2009 and Friendswood, while the did both very well, didn't march good enough to win the competition. All it would have taken was one first place vote in marching and they would have had it. It was close and I'm sure it was very disappointing for the Friendswood band but they certainly weren't screwed out of anything. Dripping Springs was a very deserving band.

Edited by Fata1

Southwest High School has placed third, fifth, and second at the past three 4A honor band competitions. In 2007, we received a II at UIL region marching and in 2009, we placed 12th at the state marching contest. Just because a band excels in honor band competition doesn't mean they'll excel in marching.

That said, Friendswood is obviously dominant in both but the fact that they've won prior honor bands doesn't mean they'll automatically win the music categories at state marching. Don't forget that Dripping Springs is also a very good band when it comes to honor band competitions. The fact of the matter is that Dripping Springs played and marched exceptionally well in 2009 and Friendswood, while the did both very well, didn't march good enough to win the competition. All it would have taken was one first place vote in marching and they would have had it. It was close and I'm sure it was very disappointing for the Friendswood band but they certainly weren't screwed out of anything. Dripping Springs was a very deserving band.

Dripping Springs is a great band and I have only respect for them. I have absolutely no resentment towards the band itself, but I do not think that the way Friendswood lost is indicative of a good judging system.

I would like to see friendswood win. Two years ago, when they got second it was because of the substitute judge who was in favor of dripping springs and gave friendswood a 3 while the other judges gave them a 1. That's what stopped them from being first. Friendswood is definitely coming back this year to kick butt, at the Lonestar marching competition they came in fourth beating brazoswood, Woodlands college park, other bands, and they even had at least five people not able to compete. Their show is coming along really good this year, and they have the necessary qualities and passion to win it.

I think this post is just a tad biased... Especially to say that friendswood has the "necessary qualities and passion to win it" makes it seem like nobody else is passionate to win state....

Honor band is not necessarily indicative of how a band plays WHILE marching. Look at 5A for the easiest example. Marcus hasn't won honor band yet, (though they came close in 2009,) but they seem to get the music caption everywhere they go.

On another note, 1,4,1 is not a ridiculous crack score by any standards. Didn't Bell get a 10 from somebody in finals in 08? I remember being amazed that it ended up having no effect on their placement. Something crazy happened with Duncanville there too.

Edited by NewMexicoBandsman

On another note, 1,4,1 is not a ridiculous crack score by any standards. Didn't Bell get a 10 from somebody in finals in 08? I remember being amazed that it ended up having no effect on their placement. Something crazy happened with Duncanville there too.

Yes, Duncanville got 1st and 10th place Music votes and LD Bell got 2nd and 10th place Music votes in the same 5A State Finals in 2008.

Duncanville also received 2nd and 10th place Music votes in the 2006 5A State Finals.

wow, bad luck for Duncanville. I wonder if their style contributes to that variance.

In 2006, the 10th place judge's tape highly praised the winds but picked apart the percussion which was admittedly sub-par due to several years of high turnover rates in the percussion director position prior to that year. He focused on the percussion and that ruined the show for him regardless of what the winds did.

In 2008, the 10th place judge's tape focused on one trombone that admittedly kept sticking out and playing as an individual in multiple places. It was just one trombone but he did stick out multiple times. It is a perfectly valid complaint but he focused on it and it ruined the whole show for him regardless of what the rest of the winds did. The other judge tapes mentioned it, but didn't focus on it.

I don't feel it is right when people from San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas gang up on the people from the Houston area. We have opinions also.

People from San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas haven't ganged up on Houston area people. They are responding to your posts. Yes you are entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else. If you can't handle people disagreeing with your opinions. DON'T POST ANYTHING!

But on a more informative note. I think people are seemingly ganging up on you because you are complaining about something that happened 2 years ago. What happened in the last state cycle has nothing to do with whats going on right now. In fact what happened yesterday or this morning has nothing to do with whats going on right now. Gripping about what could have been is just wasted energy.

P.S. A judge is aloud an opinion as well I believe...

People from San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas haven't ganged up on Houston area people. They are responding to your posts. Yes you are entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else. If you can't handle people disagreeing with your opinions. DON'T POST ANYTHING!

But on a more informative note. I think people are seemingly ganging up on you because you are complaining about something that happened 2 years ago. What happened in the last state cycle has nothing to do with whats going on right now. In fact what happened yesterday or this morning has nothing to do with whats going on right now. Gripping about what could have been is just wasted energy.

P.S. A judge is aloud an opinion as well I believe...

Just wait until Dripping Springs is on the Duncanville/Friendswood side of things. I can guarantee you it is going to happen to someone again this year - we will see who it is going to be.

Just wait until Dripping Springs is on the Duncanville/Friendswood side of things. I can guarantee you it is going to happen to someone again this year - we will see who it is going to be.

Dude, not cool. Friendswood is a great program. Some of my favorite bands come from the Houston area. But you're not doing a really fair job of representing them. Every kid in a band program wants to do well and they all try. Yes, it's lame friendswood keeps getting SOOOOOO close but not making it. Judging gets kinda crazy and there are times when I honestly disagree entirely with scoring. But it doesn't give you a right to put other programs down in such a public place.

Please represent your program a little bit better. Playing the Let's See It Happen To You card is childish.

Wow. Luckily I've learned not to judge a program by one immature kid's posts. What do you think the fine directors at Friendswood would say about your posts? Is this the kind of sportsmanship that is taught there? It's a shame that such a well respected program is being represented so poorly.

Dude, not cool. Friendswood is a great program. Some of my favorite bands come from the Houston area. But you're not doing a really fair job of representing them. Every kid in a band program wants to do well and they all try. Yes, it's lame friendswood keeps getting SOOOOOO close but not making it. Judging gets kinda crazy and there are times when I honestly disagree entirely with scoring. But it doesn't give you a right to put other programs down in such a public place.

Dripping Springs has had great experiences at the Friendswood Marching Festival the last two years so I am sure these posts are not representative of the Friendswood program. My hope is that every band has the wonderful experience of performing their best at area and state. If you leave it all on the field then you can count yourselves a success no matter what the judges decide. Good luck!

Dripping Springs has had great experiences at the Friendswood Marching Festival the last two years so I am sure these posts are not representative of the Friendswood program. My hope is that every band has the wonderful experience of performing their best at area and state. If you leave it all on the field then you can count yourselves a success no matter what the judges decide. Good luck!

Very well said. =]

My comment was NOT a put down of Dripping Springs. Dripping Springs is one of my favorite programs, and I have only respect for them. I was just trying to say that it could happen to anyone on any day (and obviously it was not taken as I had intended). I apologize for anything I wrote on here that might have been seen as offensive. This year is obviously going to be the hardest to judge, and I wish all of the judges and bands the best of luck over the next few weeks.

Edited by Thomas