BOA 2011 Fall Schedule

Just received info from a Hebron parent that they have pulled out of Grand Nationals. The feedback I received is that they got off to a late start organizing and that they have had color guard issues. I saw nearly all of the North Dallas bands last year and thought Hebron CG had taken an exponential step forward. There must be more to the story--interesting.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received info from a Hebron parent that they have pulled out of Grand Nationals. The feedback I received is that they got off to a late start organizing and that they have had color guard issues. I saw nearly all of the North Dallas bands last year and thought Hebron CG had taken an exponential step forward. There must be more to the story--interesting.

That's a bummer. A Grand Nationals trip is a pain in the **** to organize.

Do they still have Scott Markham? He has a bad rep at Round Rock; He left about a month before the start of the 2009 season, which caused the poor colorguard section that year and the subsequent poor season.

Do they still have Scott Markham? He has a bad rep at Round Rock; He left about a month before the start of the 2009 season, which caused the poor colorguard section that year and the subsequent poor season.

No I don't think so. Their website site says that their color guard directors Mike Sloan now.

Wow....what a terrifying lineup! It's like having BOA San Antonio a few weeks early. Granted I think we could see a couple of the heavy hitters drop out before contest (Bell is signed up for both Arlington and Conroe....I highly doubt they'll attend both).

Locks:

Bell

Marcus

The Woodlands

S.F. Austin

Cedar Park

C.T. Johnson

Vandegrift (what was once a loose cannon I think will now be a laser-guided nuke)

Bubble:

Pflugerville

Winston Churchill

Ronald Reagan

McNeil

Cypress Falls

Brazoswood

Friendswood

Legacy

Lafayette

Clear Brook

I'd also be wary of both Cedar Ridge and Westwood. Cedar Ridge made finals at SHSU last year with what I believe was just 9th and 10th graders...Last year was their first year and they will be adding 11th grade this year so we should expect a stronger showing from them.

McNeil and Pflugerville have been around for awhile and have good programs, but were both general unknowns before making a name for themselves in BOA Regionals these past couple years. Westwood is also a new, old face coming from a similar background from the same neck of the woods, so it's quite possible we could see something amazing come out of them as well.

I think Churchill and Reagan will probably make finals here. And after watching McNeil this year i think they will probably be in finals again as well. I am curious to see how Brazoswood performs this year.

I think Churchill and Reagan will probably make finals here. And after watching McNeil this year i think they will probably be in finals again as well. I am curious to see how Brazoswood performs this year.

Yeah, I tend to think that Reagan missing finals this year would be a major upset. However, who knows about Churchill and McNeil...they are part of the bloodbath that is going to take place for the last two spots in finals.

One month from now is going to be a very exciting day for marching band, methinks.

Question: Why is Spring not attending the Conroe regional that is less than 10 miles away, especially in a year that it is going to Indianapolis for Grand Nationals? Wouldn't you think they'd want as many competitive opportunities as possible? Doesn't make sense... :blink:

Seems odd. SATs are not the day of the Conroe Regional so we can rule that out. Sometimes, over-scheduling a Nationals year can prove to be very costly from a competitive and financial perspective. We also see programs like Stephen F. Austin who usually schedule one BOA Regional before heading to Nationals and mopping the floor with everyone.

Seems odd. SATs are not the day of the Conroe Regional so we can rule that out. Sometimes, over-scheduling a Nationals year can prove to be very costly from a competitive and financial perspective. We also see programs like Stephen F. Austin who usually schedule one BOA Regional before heading to Nationals and mopping the floor with everyone.

From a cost perspective, it would seem that cutting out San Antonio (like SFA) would be the most effective cost cutting measure. It doesn't make much sense to cut the significantly less expensive trip up to Conroe.

From a competition standpoint, it's a mixed bag. Attending Conroe would give them feedback on what is working and what isn't (effective, ineffective, needs work, etc.) early on from BOA judges they might see later on, giving them time to fix things. On the other hand, San Antonio gives them invaluable experience playing in a domed environment.

I never really understood why SFA didn't go to San Antonio last year either, so I really don't understand this decision from Spring. I know Risinger and Musella probably have their reasons, but I'm just mad because Conroe is the one regional I can attend and I wanted to see Spring perform what I hear is a rehash of their 1993 show... *hmph* <_< Oh well...there's always the fan network, right?