7:45 Godwin Heights, MI

8:00 Carmel, IN

8:15 Lafayette, LA

8:30 Michigan State University

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First don't wanna sound like I am talking smack or bragging about Indiana bands, as I realize there are some GREAT Texas bands, including Bell, Marcus, Cedar Park, Woodlands etc., but I have to say it is gonna be very hard to beat Avon at Grand Nats. this year. Saw them yesterday at the Indiana state championships at Lucas Oil Stadium and I think it is one of their better shows. Indiana has some fantastic bands Lawrence Central, Homestead, Center Grove, but none compared to Avon yesterday. Of course anything can happen and I look forward to seeing Broken Arrow, Kennesaw Mt. and of course the Texas bands, but they all better bring it, cause Avon is clearly aiming for a 3-peat!

First don't wanna sound like I am talking smack or bragging about Indiana bands, as I realize there are some GREAT Texas bands, including Bell, Marcus, Cedar Park, Woodlands etc., but I have to say it is gonna be very hard to beat Avon at Grand Nats. this year. Saw them yesterday at the Indiana state championships at Lucas Oil Stadium and I think it is one of their better shows. Indiana has some fantastic bands Lawrence Central, Homestead, Center Grove, but none compared to Avon yesterday. Of course anything can happen and I look forward to seeing Broken Arrow, Kennesaw Mt. and of course the Texas bands, but they all better bring it, cause Avon is clearly aiming for a 3-peat!

I haven't seen Avon's show, but I was at Super Regionals in San Antonio and watched all 14 bands in their finals performance, and that included Bell, Marcus, Cedar Park, The Woodlands, and Churchill. The word that needs to be said about those shows are WOW! Looking forward to seeing all the shows. Will be up there for the Grand Nationals. Absolutely can't wait!!!

Good Luck everyone!!! :D

Avon scares me. They're one of the few non-Texas bands out there with the same level of monetary ($$$) resources as the most well-funded, heavy hitting Texas bands (Bell, Marcus, the Woodlands)....except that they don't have to spend it all on traveling all the way across the country for a band contest, so as a result they spend it all on staff, and as a result; have a much larger staff than previously mentioned bands. This is aside from the fact that Avon practices 11-12 hours a week outside the school day, instead of 8 hours/wk which is the limit in Texas.

Rehearsal and Contest Calendar: http://avonband.com/wp-content/uploads/201.../October-10.pdf

Check out October 21st. Yeah, they had an 8-hour rehearsal during the first day of their Fall break. That's a whole weeks worth of before/after school rehearsals in Texas. With this kind of rehearsal schedule and the massive amount of visual staff, it's no wonder they keep winning the Visual caption these past few years.

Avon scares me. They're one of the few non-Texas bands out there with the same level of monetary ($$$) resources as the most well-funded, heavy hitting Texas bands (Bell, Marcus, the Woodlands)....except that they don't have to spend it all on traveling all the way across the country for a band contest, so as a result they spend it all on staff, and as a result; have a much larger staff than previously mentioned bands. This is aside from the fact that Avon practices 11-12 hours a week outside the school day, instead of 8 hours/wk which is the limit in Texas.

Rehearsal and Contest Calendar: http://avonband.com/wp-content/uploads/201.../October-10.pdf

Check out October 21st. Yeah, they had an 8-hour rehearsal during the first day of their Fall break. That's a whole weeks worth of before/after school rehearsals in Texas. With this kind of rehearsal schedule and the massive amount of visual staff, it's no wonder they keep winning the Visual caption these past few years.

Yup agree with everything you say. Avon has a very strenuous practice schedule and no doubt this contributes to their success. It just shows that hard work pays off. They are a few other schools (Carmel and Center Grove)in Indiana who also have the monetary resources you spoke about above. It is surely an advantage that Indiana bands are close to home for Grand Nats. and congrats to all of the bands from out of state who travel to Indy as I'm sure it's difficult to compete against in state bands. Like you I look forward to a great competition, I think it will be interesting and wishing the best to everyone.

It almost seems unfair. If one band can practice year round and more hours than another can legally, then it seems as if they aren't playing by the same rules. Of course a band that practices that many more hours a week/month/year than other bands is going to be better. Saddle that up with the $$$ and great directors, then you probably have the makings of a force that can't be stopped. I can't wait to see them!!!

Not trying to sound whiney, it just seems like everyone should have the same rules about practice hours. But good luck just the same. :)

Avon's practice schedule is actually on the lazier side, though, as far as BOA Grand National champions are concerned. I can't remember if it was Carmel '05 or Lassiter '02, but I've heard one of those GN champion shows was achieved through an ungodly amount of rehearsal time. We're talking like 3pm-8pm daily in addition to several all-day Saturday rehearsals during the Fall.

That makes me wonder. For those in the know, the year Westfield won Grand Nationals (2003); was this one of the years where they had pulled out of UIL and started breaking the 8-hour barrier by adding Saturday rehearsals to their practice regiment? I can't remember....

Not particularly confident in Texas bands this year at Grand Nationals. I know a lot can change in 2 weeks, but it doesn't look like the strongest army of TXbands. Bell will as always be a threat, but I'm not sure if their show has what it takes to take it all this year. Maybe its because I haven't seen it live, but it just doesn't seem to have that trademark Bell awe to it. I think they'll definitely be in medal contention, but don't think they'll threaten Avon for the top spot.

CP and Churchill went from what I thought would be for sure finalists earlier in the year, to hopeful finalists. Churchill doesn't seem to be having the best year, although maybe they were aiming for G'nats? Cedar Park has a great show, but I don't think they're nearly as powerful as years past. Haven't seen SFA so can't say much about them. Interesting that they passed up on BOA San Antonio. Maybe they have something of they're sleeve? What does everyone think of their finals chances?

Avon's practice schedule is actually on the lazier side, though, as far as BOA Grand National champions are concerned. I can't remember if it was Carmel '05 or Lassiter '02, but I've heard one of those GN champion shows was achieved through an ungodly amount of rehearsal time. We're talking like 3pm-8pm daily in addition to several all-day Saturday rehearsals during the Fall.

That makes me wonder. For those in the know, the year Westfield won Grand Nationals (2003); was this one of the years where they had pulled out of UIL and started breaking the 8-hour barrier by adding Saturday rehearsals to their practice regiment? I can't remember....

I was wondering about the 8hr rule if you aren't going to march State. I figured it's still the rule if you're going to State as well as going to a BOA competition. As a band parent I get 'conflicted' about this rule...I know the old saying 'practice makes perfect' is mostly true and it's great to see your kid win whatever it is they are doing. But there has to be a limit, especially when there is school work and living some kind of life outside band. And they also need to learn that you can't always win it all, you have to lose sometime and lose graciously.

Do you feel that maybe these kids in states that don't have a time limit rule being are 'being taken advantage of' just to win a contest? <_< I am sure they will say no....that it's all worth it.

Well keep in mind it's not always about State. If it were, then we'd be seeing lots of bands violating the 8 hour on non-State years....not to mention violating the 8-hour rule would also disqualify you from Solo and Ensemble contest as well, which is a yearly thing that most directors and students would rather not be excluded from.

I wouldn't doubt that when you get to that amount of rehearsal, that grades would start to suffer....especially for the seniors who are enrolled in classes like Calculus, College dual-credit and AP courses which often require exorbitant amounts of time for studying and completion of assignments. But at the same time, they only have to keep up that rigorous schedule for 8 weeks out of the year for most bands....it's not like it's dominating their schedule yearround.

Well keep in mind it's not always about State. If it were, then we'd be seeing lots of bands violating the 8 hour on non-State years....not to mention violating the 8-hour rule would also disqualify you from Solo and Ensemble contest as well, which is a yearly thing that most directors and students would rather not be excluded from.

I wouldn't doubt that when you get to that amount of rehearsal, that grades would start to suffer....especially for the seniors who are enrolled in classes like Calculus, College dual-credit and AP courses which often require exorbitant amounts of time for studying and completion of assignments. But at the same time, they only have to keep up that rigorous schedule for 8 weeks out of the year for most bands....it's not like it's dominating their schedule yearround.

Calculus, Dual-Credit??? What ever happen to early release and going home? Easy A :P

Thanks for the info. Was not aware that breaking the rule would disqualify you from solo and ensemble...that would surely affect a certain other person in my household :lol: . Alot of the kids were saying that the 8hr rule didn't apply since they weren't going to State and I was almost sure that info was incorrect.

I'd have to agree with you on Bell. I too haven't seen the show live, but from everything I've seen and read, it doesn't seem like it will compete well with Avon's type of show. And you can be sure that Avon is giving it their all in their quest for a three-peat. They'll still do very well of course, but I think we'll see someone other than Bell being very close to Avon, maybe Marian Catholic? I think we'll see one of the other Texas bands, although it's a tossup about who will make the cut.

Not particularly confident in Texas bands this year at Grand Nationals. I know a lot can change in 2 weeks, but it doesn't look like the strongest army of TXbands. Bell will as always be a threat, but I'm not sure if their show has what it takes to take it all this year. Maybe its because I haven't seen it live, but it just doesn't seem to have that trademark Bell awe to it. I think they'll definitely be in medal contention, but don't think they'll threaten Avon for the top spot.

CP and Churchill went from what I thought would be for sure finalists earlier in the year, to hopeful finalists. Churchill doesn't seem to be having the best year, although maybe they were aiming for G'nats? Cedar Park has a great show, but I don't think they're nearly as powerful as years past. Haven't seen SFA so can't say much about them. Interesting that they passed up on BOA San Antonio. Maybe they have something of they're sleeve? What does everyone think of their finals chances?

There's no doubt in my mind that SFA will make GN finals based on what I saw at the Woodlands. They were the clear victors at the BOA regional there from what I could see and their show had a strong sense of poise to it that you don't normally see in the early season. GN Top 5? Not likely....but I think they're in as good a shape as Woodlands was last year. I predict a 6th-10th place finish for them based on what I saw at the Woodlands (hard to say, beyond that).

I'd have to agree with you on Bell. I too haven't seen the show live, but from everything I've seen and read, it doesn't seem like it will compete well with Avon's type of show. And you can be sure that Avon is giving it their all in their quest for a three-peat. They'll still do very well of course, but I think we'll see someone other than Bell being very close to Avon, maybe Marian Catholic? I think we'll see one of the other Texas bands, although it's a tossup about who will make the cut.

Bell might not seem as strong as previous years, but I think they're still probably the top threat. Bell's show is different from previous years, but it's still a high quality show. To me their issue seemed like execution, their show looks more difficult than their usual shows in visual terms. I guess we'll just have to see!

Calculus, Dual-Credit??? What ever happen to early release and going home? Easy A :P
Ha, are you kidding??? those were the 'good ol days' :D my band kid has pre-calculus pre-ap,ap music theory, ap english IV, band/marching, of course, ap macroeconomics, speech (mandatory). Then, there's band rehearsal!

There is no time for slacking anymore! Want to get into college? It's nose to grindstone at all times!

Ha, are you kidding??? those were the 'good ol days' :D my band kid has pre-calculus pre-ap,ap music theory, ap english IV, band/marching, of course, ap macroeconomics, speech (mandatory). Then, there's band rehearsal!

There is no time for slacking anymore! Want to get into college? It's nose to grindstone at all times!

My how things have changed. We didn't as many credits to graduate, and colleges weren't as rough as they have got...But it was still great to be walking out of school at 1:00pm when school was over at 3:45pm...We had a good bunch that did band and all AP classes, but they had to really balance their time.

I wonder how Marcus would have placed in Grand Nats had they gone this year...

I bet they would be a top band. Their performance in SA was great! Loved their whole package, marching, music, ridiculously huge chandeliers covering the field! I personally felt they really earned and deserved their 1st place!!!

I wonder how Marcus would have placed in Grand Nats had they gone this year...

Living in Indiana I haven't seen Marcus this year, but did see this last year at Grand Nats. and I was VERY impressed by them, they were my favorite Texas band and felt they should have finished ahead of Bell. Musically they were outstanding and visual was great too. It's too bad they won't be back, hope to see them in the future though.

I'm obviously pulling for the Texas programs a little more than everyone else. However, what I am on pins and needles for is how Avon and Tarpon Springs will stack up against each other.

Avon's show is stellar, as always. Great movement and music from them. They will be tough to beat visually. Tarpon Springs could actually challenge for the Grand National Title this year, if they can solidify their ensemble sound a little bit more. Tarpon's show might be the best show I have ever seen in my life, which is something I never thought I would say after seeing Plymouth Canton's Programme One show.

I'm obviously pulling for the Texas programs a little more than everyone else. However, what I am on pins and needles for is how Avon and Tarpon Springs will stack up against each other.

Avon's show is stellar, as always. Great movement and music from them. They will be tough to beat visually. Tarpon Springs could actually challenge for the Grand National Title this year, if they can solidify their ensemble sound a little bit more. Tarpon's show might be the best show I have ever seen in my life, which is something I never thought I would say after seeing Plymouth Canton's Programme One show.

Wow, that's quite a compliment to Tarpon, haven't seen their show yet but can't wait based on your comments, I have been impressed by them in the past. As much as I am pulling for my Marching Black & Gold, I hope they do have some great competition that can really push them. I know that Broken Arrow has beaten Carmel at St. Louis and that in and of itself puts me on alert that they must have a very good show this year. Look forward to good competition, may the best band win.