Sam Houston Marching Contest

Predictions are now up. Despite this being the same weekend as BOA San Antonio, we still have ourselves quite a nice little lineup here. I'll be at this contest, though I probably won't be liveblogging it due to the San Antonio coverage going on at the same time.

Schedule:

Lutheran High North - 7:45 AM

Sharpstown - 8:00 AM

Coldspring-Oakhurst - 8:15 AM

George Bush - 8:30 AM

Porter - 8:45 AM

Summer Creek - 9:00 AM

Shepherd - 9:15 AM

Tarkington - 9:30 AM

BREAK 9:45 AM

Angleton - 10:00 AM

Magnolia West - 10:15 AM

Manvel - 10:30 AM

Sam Rayburn - 10:45 AM

Waller - 11:00 AM

Magnolia - 11:15 AM

Caney Creek - 11:30 AM

Waltrip - 11:45 AM

LUNCH BREAK 12:00 PM

Pasadena Memorial - 1:00 PM

Cypress Creek - 1:15 PM

Clear Springs - 1:30 PM

Victoria East - 1:45 PM

Klein Forest - 2:00 PM

Cypress Ranch - 2:15 PM

Dobie - 2:30 PM

Dekaney - 2:45 PM

BREAK 3:00 PM

Clear Lake - 3:15 PM

Langham Creek - 3:30 PM

Dawson - 3:45 PM

Cypress Woods - 4:00 PM

Dripping Springs - 4:15 PM

Cedar Ridge - 4:30 PM

Clements - 4:45 PM

SHSU 5:00 PM

A

1st - Magnolia West

2nd - Angleton

3rd - Tarkington

AA

1st - Pasadena Memorial

2nd - Cypress Creek

3rd - Dekaney

AAA

1st - Clements

2nd - Dripping Springs

3rd - Langham Creek

I didn't hear captions since I was talking to some band director friends of mine in the stands when they started announcing awards, though I caught that Clements won the Drumline caption.

Finalists (Alpha):

Cedar Ridge (impressive for a school that just opened and doesn't have any upper classmen)

Clear Lake

Clements

Cypress Creek

Cypress Woods

Dawson

Dekaney

Dripping Springs

Langham Creek

Magnolia West

Pasadena Memorial

WOW, saw some of the most disrespectful behavior ever at this contest. Lost ALOT of respect for a certin band that I wont specifically name, whose directors were allowing their kids to laugh and ridicule another band while they were performing, even going as far as to talk loudly about how said-band didnt deserve to be advancing to state ahead of them at area and ect... The band engaging in this incredibly immature activity placed surprisingly well as the contest, but they are definatly not champions. Totally classless.

WOW, saw some of the most disrespectful behavior ever at this contest. Lost ALOT of respect for a certin band that I wont specifically name, whose directors were allowing their kids to laugh and ridicule another band while they were performing, even going as far as to talk loudly about how said-band didnt deserve to be advancing to state ahead of them at area and ect... The band engaging in this incredibly immature activity placed surprisingly well as the contest, but they are definatly not champions. Totally classless.

Hmmm.....I think I know who you're talking about

Hmmm.....I think I know who you're talking about

and it wasn't Langham Creek, just to verify that, because I dont want anyone thinking that it was. They were the band being subjected to the taunting, and still remained a class act, humble even after what I'm sure was a disappointing finish.

I know every band has that one idiot, freshman, kid who might make an offhand remark to another band given the opportunity, but no school deserves to be heckled on such a large scale, especially not WHILE THEY ARE PERFORMING. And even more disappointing were the band directors not stopping their students from engaging in such behavior. This is the second time I've seen a large group disrespect the LCHS program at SHMC, the last time being in 07 when they were boo'd (and got 2nd place!). I feel furious for those poor kids! They lost their director of 16 years only a couple of years ago, and are, noticably, not what they once were, yet they still manage to put out high quality shows, even placing 13th at state the last go-around. No band deserves to be treated the way the kids at Langham were tonight, especially not this band who has been through so much in the past couple of years.

Were the ones doing the taunting headed to state and just ranked lower at area, or were they just extremely rude in their sour grapes that they did not make it? Shame on the directors and students in either case. This is NOT what band competitions are all about!

Edited by princess

Were the ones doing the taunting headed to state and just ranked lower at area, or were they just extremely rude in their sour grapes that they did not make it? Shame on the directors and students in either case. This is NOT what band competitions are all about!

If I answer this question it will probably give away who the band was, and I don't want to call out the school by name on such a public site and cause something. That would in a sense make me just as bad as they are. They do well enough on their own getting caught up in their own hype and embaressing themselves, that they don't need anyone else doing it for them. I was just really really upset for the kids at LCHS, and believe the issue of bullying at a contest by another band is something that cannot be ignored. It happens, and people need to be aware that it happens.

It's also interesting to note that the LCHS band directors were within ear shot of all the bashing and their students seemed well aware of what what being said about them all night by a certin band. Yet they never retaliated, or displayed anything other than good sportsmanship the whole contest. You can place high at all your contests but if you dont have the humility and class to back it up you will NEVER be a champion.

If I answer this question it will probably give away who the band was, and I don't want to call out the school by name on such a public site and cause something. That would in a sense make me just as bad as they are. They do well enough on their own getting caught up in their own hype and embaressing themselves, that they don't need anyone else doing it for them. I was just really really upset for the kids at LCHS, and believe the issue of bullying at a contest by another band is something that cannot be ignored. It happens, and people need to be aware that it happens.

It's also interesting to note that the LCHS band directors were within ear shot of all the bashing and their students seemed well aware of what what being said about them all night by a certin band. Yet they never retaliated, or displayed anything other than good sportsmanship the whole contest. You can place high at all your contests but if you dont have the humility and class to back it up you will NEVER be a champion.

LCHS will use that negative energy at State to show said school how good they really are. I'm now cheering for LCHS to have a fantastic show at state

While I do get your point and applaud you for taking the high road, perhaps if you did name them, it would embarass them AND their directors into not letting it happen again.

While I do get your point and applaud you for taking the high road, perhaps if you did name them, it would embarass them AND their directors into not letting it happen again.

The LC band directors are most likley more than aware of what went on, I mean, there is no way they COULDN'T be. I'm sure they are going to have a word with that schools directors, if they havent already. And if they choose not to, that's their choice to make. I'm pretty positive that if any kids from the school in question are reading this forum, they know who they are, and they know all the people involved know who they are, and are hopefully embaressed enough by that fact alone. No need to put names and incite more hate.

On another note, congrats to Dripping Springs! After watching the contest, they were my favorite to win, and I'm glad they did!

It looks to me like Cy-Woods, Clements, and Langham are pretty evenly matched this year, it will interesting to see how they place at state.

On another note, congrats to Dripping Springs! After watching the contest, they were my favorite to win, and I'm glad they did!

It looks to me like Cy-Woods, Clements, and Langham are pretty evenly matched this year, it will interesting to see how they place at state.

thank you, everyone!

I really had a good time at this contest.

Good luck to those that are attending State this year!

^I hope the band in question is not who I think it is. I know two of the directors from that program and I've never known this behavior to be their style.

btw...Cy-Falls was at USSBA with Cy-Fair on the night of the Sam competition. And both bands were cheering for each other. Life's too short for negativity.