Area B marching contest

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW. I was there right before it got delayed because of the storm. It started raining early in Plano East's show, during the second movement the winds picked speed and the third movement was crazy... The feathers and hats were being blown all over, screens and a canopy were being held down so they didn't fly away, in the pit a gong fell over, and in the stands people's umbrellas were popping.props to th colorguard too! But they never sopped playing and made it to the end, it was impressive. I feel sorry for the bands that had to wait for a long time because of the delay but at least they didn't have to march in those conditions.

Found this on another forum. Posting here to preserve it.

Area B 3A:

1)Argyle J1/1, J2/3, J3/2, J4/3, J5/2 Total 11

2)Canton J1/2, J2/1, J3/1, J4/5, J5/3 Total 12

3)Princeton J1/3, J2/11, J3/3, J4/1, J5/1 Total 19

4)Wills Pint J1/4, J2/4, J3/4, J4/2, J5/5 Total 19

5)Kaufman J1/8, J2/2, J3/5, J4/6, J5/4 Total 25

6)Anna J1/6, J2/14, J3/11, J4/4, J5/9 Total 44

7)Iowa Prk J1/12, J2/6, J3/12, J4/8, J5/8 Total 46

8)Mabank J1/7, J2/5, J3/18, J4/13, J5/7 Total 50

9)Prosper J1/5, J2/20, J3/9, J4/7, J5/10 Total 51

10)Lovejoy J1/9, J2/7, J3/6, J4/26, J5/16 Total 64

11)N Frny J1/11, J2/12, J3/14, J4/20, J5/11 Total 68

12)Castleberry J1/13, J2/10, J3/17, J4/9, J5/20 Total 69

13)Whitesboro J1/10, J2/15, J3/8, J4/25, J5/13 Total 71

14)Sanger J1/19, J2/13, J3/16, J4/17, J5/12 Total 77

15)Aubrey J1/15, J2/22, J3/7, J4/21, J5/15 Total 80

16)Ranchview J1/14, J2/27, J3/24, J4/10, J5/6 Total 81

17)Commerce J1/21, J2/17, J3/15, J4/12, J5/19 Total 84

18)Crandall J1/16, J2/9, J3/21, J4/19, J5/21 Total 86

19)Pilot Point J1/18, J2/16, J3/19, J4/16, J5/22 Total 91

20)Burkburnett J1/23, J2/8, J3/23, J4/23, J5/14 Total 91

21)Lake Worth J1/25, J2/23, J3/13, J4/11, J5/25 Total 97

22)Ferris J1/20, J2/18, J3/22, J4/15, J5/24 Total 99

23)Decatur J1/22, J2/21, J3/10, J4/24, J5/26 Total 103

24)Kemp J1/26, J2/26, J3/20, J4/14, J5/17 Total 103

25)Bowie J1/28, J2/19, J3/26, J4/22, J5/18 Total 113

26)Mineral Wells J1/24, J2/25, J3/25, J4/18, J5/23 Total 115

27)Lone Star J1/17, J2/24, J3/27, J4/27, J5/27 Total 122

28)Madison J1/27, J2/28, J3/28, J4/28, J5/28 Total 139

29)Bridgeport J1/29, J2/29, J3/29, J4/29, J5/29 Total 145

I wish we had done finals, i honestly think that mansfield would have done much better in finals... i think there would have been fair-er judging because with the time gap between performances i think the judges were judging differently because of it. so i just feel that it would have been more fair... if that makes sence

I can confirm that Richland has a new head director, in fact of the three directors they had last year only one remains. The former head left for a fine arts director job, as previously mentioned, but also the third director took a head director job at Keller Central. So all in all, definately a rebuilding year from a director stand point not necesarily the kids themselves.

Not gonna lie, I was very surprised to see Richland so low, as im sure most were. Especially after a respectable placement at Arlington above Hebron no less. Although for my own part I am happy for Hebron because I have a couple of new friends still in it, so im glad the get to bask in the moment of glory that is placing higher than Bell :] and i do mean that harmlessly. It's like seeing a grand slam, or seeing a record broken in front of your eyes, big upsets are momorable and thus should be savored (even if they crush your soul later that year haha)

On a side note can we please rearrange the areas so that ALL these bands can go to state instead of eliminating half the contenders for finals before state even starts?

As far as director changes...before '08 (state year) Haltom's marching director left and went to .....LD Bell! Haltom was 4th at area that year and 13th at state. Before this year Haltom's percussion director left and went to........LD Bell! Congratulations to the incoming directors who took a hard-working (and prop-less) program and continued the tradition of excellence at Haltom. Keep the Spirit! Haltom was 4th at Honor Band last year, so you know they can play. Less than 200 players. Check the ordinal rankings for music from the area judges...

I would like to clarify some rumors.

1) 2 years ago, our 3rd band director left us, and last year, our head band director left us.

2) We did not have a bad run-through. In fact, it was the best run-through of the year!

3) We have been bashed in music all season long. The judges aren't very satisfied with our musical selection (just check out BOA Arlington. BOTH music GE judges gave us 7th) this season. You can only do so much with a certain piece, and we just capped early musically. In this competition, our placement didn't connect with our skill.

4) Visually, we have a stunning program. One judge gave us 1st in visual, and the other gave us 5th in visual. We don't suck. No one there did. It's just that EVERYONE there was AMAZING.

5) The judging panel's results are not bogus. They have definite reasons for why they gave each band a certain placement, and as a community, it is part of our job to respect that each and every time we speak our thoughts.

And finally,

6) The Richland band is not "going downhill". True, we've had director changes, but the following are the words of Tom Shine (ex-Duncanville director) after judging us at Region 5:

"I think this is the best Richland band I have ever seen."

On a side note can we please rearrange the areas so that ALL these bands can go to state instead of eliminating half the contenders for finals before state even starts?

i agree or give marcus and bell a "free pass" to state since they have both gone almost everytime, so others can have a shot

Edited by sousapwn

Stop crying!! It is what it is so deal with it, they will redue the lines and maybe the areas will be different, but untill then stop crying about it and deal with it.

Where in there did it look like anyone was crying? Wanting them to redraw the lines so that every good band can go to state is a definite pipedream, because thats not reason enough to redraw UIL lines, but putting together an allstar team like that most likely wont ever happen. I was hoping even to spark some speculation about where the nonqualifying bands would have placed at state, but in no way shape or for was I crying about where the lines are at. Everybody knows this is a tough area, its just how it goes.

I stand corrected on the director changes I was partially right, and for all i know this could have been the best Richland band, so I could very well stand corrected on the direction they are taking, i'll take someones word from inside the band over mine any day haha Current Student>Alumni any day of the week for that info

Edited by thekeeton

Even if lines were redrawn... How would this change much? There are exceptionally good bands in every area.

Very true, although not many other areas have a single band with potential to win state every year they go much less two in Marcus and Bell. But yeah, aside from that I know that there are good bands everywhere, which is why i said earlier that its a pipedream to be able to redraw the lines so every deserving band could go, so i agree with you, but i wish it wasnt so haha its just the nature of the game i guess.

But i do like the free pass for Marcus and Bell idea, maybe if you medal in state you could be given an exhibition slot at area and a free pass from area the next state year to get new blood in from that area as well, that would cetainly alleviate that problem in this area, and get at least three more deserving schools in the fray. Eh its an idea, i dont think the current system will change anytime soon though haha

Who is Judge #1? I am biased but Mansfield is 16th best in Music according to this Judge? :o Even Judge #2 placing them 10th seams a little rough. I tend to aggree with Music Judge #3 - 5th. How does a band that won best music and finished 1st in front of 2 other State bands get 16th from a Judge. Seams this Judge wanted to make sure his top bands did not have any competition. Some would say I am bitter and you are correct. If all judges would have had Mansfield close to 6th then I would be fine with the placings. However that did not happen so looks to me the Judges play games with their placings. Just Saying. It can happen.

Who is Judge #1? I am biased but Mansfield is 16th best in Music according to this Judge? :o Even Judge #2 placing them 10th seams a little rough. I tend to aggree with Music Judge #3 - 5th. How does a band that won best music and finished 1st in front of 2 other State bands get 16th from a Judge. Seams this Judge wanted to make sure his top bands did not have any competition. Some would say I am bitter and you are correct. If all judges would have had Mansfield close to 6th then I would be fine with the placings. However that did not happen so looks to me the Judges play games with their placings. Just Saying. It can happen.

Or perhaps it was the contest where Mansfield beat those two other State bands that had odd judging. Or, it could simply be that that contest was two weeks ago, and many bands make a major push in cleaning up their show in that amount of time.

Regardless, there was enough inconsistency in their Area performance that the three music judges weren't in agreement on the quality of playing. It happens to some of the best bands sometimes. The goal should always be to perform so that no judge will doubt the band's ability and right to advance on to State.

Or perhaps it was the contest where Mansfield beat those two other State bands that had odd judging. Or, it could simply be that that contest was two weeks ago, and many bands make a major push in cleaning up their show in that amount of time.

Regardless, there was enough inconsistency in their Area performance that the three music judges weren't in agreement on the quality of playing. It happens to some of the best bands sometimes. The goal should always be to perform so that no judge will doubt the band's ability and right to advance on to State.

Also, those two other state bands are in a different area. 6th place is nothing to complain about and i'd say its exactly where i thought you'd place upon watching prelims. Don't complain about it, Mansfield is a great band and just because a judge had you 16th in Music doesn't change that

WOW. I was there right before it got delayed because of the storm. It started raining early in Plano East's show, during the second movement the winds picked speed and the third movement was crazy... The feathers and hats were being blown all over, screens and a canopy were being held down so they didn't fly away, in the pit a gong fell over, and in the stands people's umbrellas were popping.props to th colorguard too! But they never sopped playing and made it to the end, it was impressive. I feel sorry for the bands that had to wait for a long time because of the delay but at least they didn't have to march in those conditions.

As a Plano East Band member, we are all crushed about how the weather cost us two points that could have taken us to state.

But we do wish the other bands the best of luck at state and we'll crush them at BOA. :)

Look out, we're hot in "Pursuit".

We didn't do as good as we could have musically. It didn't help having a four hour delay, though. <_< But we did really good none the less. Good luck to the bands who made it.

Wow Plano East.!!! Good job pushing through the rain.....

We didn't do as good as we could have musically. It didn't help having a four hour delay, though. <_< But we did really good none the less. Good luck to the bands who made it.

Wow Plano East.!!! Good job pushing through the rain.....

It was really convinient that it didn't happen during the first movement, because then we wouldn't have been able to have finished the show.

Right when we finished our show, we walked 6 steps towards the end zone, and then we were pushed underneath the stands and into the nadatorium as the tornado sirens went off.

Rather amusing stories came out of it though. :)