Area B marching contest

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already posted this in the UIL Region thread, but this a better thread for it.

Martin- 9:00

Colleyville Heritage- 9:15

Marcus- 9:30

Flower Mound- 9:45

Paschal- 10:00

BREAK

Carroll- 10:30

L.D. Bell- 10:45

Arlington- 11:00

Trinity- 11:15

Timberview- 11:30

McKinney Boyd- 11:45

LUNCH

Weatherford- 1:00

Plano East- 1:15

Haltom- 1:30

North Crowley- 1:45

Hebron- 2:00

BREAK

Allen- 2:30

Mansfield- 2:45

Lewisville- 3:00

Legacy- 3:15

Richland- 3:30

BREAK

Grapevine-4:00

Bowie- 4:15

UNT- 4:30

FINALS- 7:00-9:45

As far as predictions go, State bound bands will likely be Bell, Marcus, Hebron and Richland, with Plano East, Mansfield, Haltom and Colleyville being potential upsets

As far as predictions go, State bound bands will likely be Bell, Marcus, Hebron and Richland, with Plano East, Mansfield, Haltom and Colleyville being potential upsets

Agree 100%

Since we know Bell and Marcus..... lets discuss the other 2 spots.

Hebron

Richland

Plano East

Mansfield

Pick your favorites

Edited by ace69044

It will be

Bell

Marcus

Hebron

Richland

In that order

I don't quite think it can be quite that cut and dry this year like it has been in past years.

With upsets like Coppell(3rd @ state 2008) placing higher than schools like Duncanville and Rowlett at mesquite, and Mansfield sweeping major caption awards at ToC and placing first above Coppell and Rowlett and Colleyville, I think we have a real contender in Mansfield if they keep progressing at the rate they did.

as in there is no reason they can't place third in this Area.

and then we have schools like Colleyville right on the tails of some great bands at their contests this year, and Legacy high school that is right on the heels of Hebron High school at the Birdville marching contest. Legacy high school has been shattering expectations all this season and I think they will continue to do so. I have shaky faith in the usual in those last two spots of Richland and Hebron

There is no doubt that this will be another bloody battlefield when its all said and done, especially since only 4 are advancing, but I'm predicting some upsets this year instead of the usual advancing bands..

just my two cents ^_^

edit: forgot to add Haltom to that mix of another usual state contender!

Edited by rallet

I saw Haltom at UIL yesterday. It is definitely a re-building year for them. The playing and performance ability was completely unusual. I really can't see them in the top at finals this year, if they make finals at all.

I totally agree with you. I don't see Haltom being a contender for the top 4 spots. And yes, it is iffy if they will even make finals at Area. Mansfield looked and sounded good at region. And with some of the crazy judging that goes on, you never know who will advance.

of course I haven't seen anyone so my opinion might be off base, but I agree that this might be Mansfield year. They already knocked off two great bands and with Hebron not as strong as years past they definitely have a great shot. Colleyville also looks very good this year as well. Basically its a battle for those last two state spots because Bell and Marcus are guarantees or at least as close as a guarantee there is.

I totally agree with you. I don't see Haltom being a contender for the top 4 spots. And yes, it is iffy if they will even make finals at Area. Mansfield looked and sounded good at region. And with some of the crazy judging that goes on, you never know who will advance.

I wouldn't go so far as taking Haltom out of finals. From what I can gather that program has done the best they can with the changes that have happened within the past 3 years. Haltom consistently places in the top 6 or 7 for honor band so I know they can play. I am thinking that we could see a couple new names up there. Plano East has taken their program in the right direction these past 2 years...they are big and they have some great musicians so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 4. Saturday is going to be filled with surprises, tears and smiles. All in all a good day of some of the best marching bands.

I don't quite think it can be quite that cut and dry this year like it has been in past years.

With upsets like Coppell(3rd @ state 2008) placing higher than schools like Duncanville and Rowlett at mesquite, and Mansfield sweeping major caption awards at ToC and placing first above Coppell and Rowlett and Colleyville, I think we have a real contender in Mansfield if they keep progressing at the rate they did.

as in there is no reason they can't place third in this Area.

and then we have schools like Colleyville right on the tails of some great bands at their contests this year, and Legacy high school that is right on the heels of Hebron High school at the Birdville marching contest. Legacy high school has been shattering expectations all this season and I think they will continue to do so. I have shaky faith in the usual in those last two spots of Richland and Hebron

There is no doubt that this will be another bloody battlefield when its all said and done, especially since only 4 are advancing, but I'm predicting some upsets this year instead of the usual advancing bands..

just my two cents ^_^

edit: forgot to add Haltom to that mix of another usual state contender!

Edited by Lduhamell

Hmmm...I agree...there will be upsets. Legacy placed higher than Mansfield at both contests involving the two schools. We'll see.

umm i go to mansfield and we have only been to BOA and UIL with them so its only 1 contest that they have done better at....

Edited by sousapwn

I hate to oversimplify but Bell, Marcus, and Richland are in. Hebron, Legacy, Haltom, and Colleyville will fight for the last spot and I've seen all but the Haltom show and have heard from others about it. I'll give Hebron the advantage, but their show is extremely technical and they will be feast or famine. I personally like the Colleyville show, particularly their guard, and they could sneak in. Their show is not nearly as technically challenging as Hebron's but is visually better.

Lastly, my compliments to the LD Bell group. They have taken a show that could have been a fluffy, over the top, patriotic mess and turned into a very tasteful, if not restrained tribute. Well done!

What makes you think Mansfield won't be in the run?

I hate to oversimplify but Bell, Marcus, and Richland are in. Hebron, Legacy, Haltom, and Colleyville will fight for the last spot and I've seen all but the Haltom show and have heard from others about it. I'll give Hebron the advantage, but their show is extremely technical and they will be feast or famine. I personally like the Colleyville show, particularly their guard, and they could sneak in. Their show is not nearly as technically challenging as Hebron's but is visually better.

Lastly, my compliments to the LD Bell group. They have taken a show that could have been a fluffy, over the top, patriotic mess and turned into a very tasteful, if not restrained tribute. Well done!

As I see it only L. D. Bell and Marcus are locks. Richland has a really good chance of being band # 3 yet again but if they have an off performance they could lose it. That leaves Haltom, Hebron, Plano East, and Mansfield fighting for spot number 4. Colleyville Heritage and Legacy will probably be in finals but I don't see them quite contending for an advancing spot (but I could easily be wrong!). Then I'll go ahead and throw Allen in 10th place since they have a good history of making finals.

Can't wait! Its going to be a good contest! :D

One thing we have to remember but we often forget or don't like to talk about is how much making a name for yourself helps you at a contest like this, everyone knows bell and marcus are good and they have made a name for themselves because of that, even if they have an off night they make it in the top 3, that is just kinda how it is. I know a lot of people don't like that and it is hard to get a name for ur program but once you do it does help a lot. If it is close they are going to go with the Richlands, Haltoms and Hebrons because they have a repuatation. I know we don't all believe that or like that but it does happen and I think that is where in a contest like this it is a factor in some ways.

Also you have to remember UIL is so much about playing, in that case bands like the Richland and Hebrons will do very well. I am not saying this is cut and dry it could go a lot of ways and it will be excitig to watch. I just think we can't discount some things that people are because whether we like it or not it happens. As you get older you really see it. I wish evey band good luck and just have fun on Saturday and if at the end of the night your band isn't one of the four make sure you know you did your best because your best is all you can ask for.

I see it shaping out like this...

Bell

Marcus

Richland

Hebron

Alt. - Legacy and Mansfield

It really sucks that they aren't taking five