Area C Marching Contest

Anybody got the schedule for the contest?

We know who the favorites are, but how bout some dark horse candidates to make area finals/state?

Favorites would be in no order: Berkner, Coppell, Duncanville, and Rowlett

Dark Horses: Sachse, and North Mesquite(No pun intended)

I will post the schedule after dinner, I'm hungry and the Rangers are getting beat

Favorites would be in no order: Berkner, Coppell, Duncanville, and Rowlett

Dark Horses: Sachse, and North Mesquite(No pun intended)

I will post the schedule after dinner, I'm hungry and the Rangers are getting beat

i think the finals will be:

coppell, duncanville, berkner, rowlett in that order. then lake highlands, sachse, north mesquite. then the final 3 spots will go to either naaman forest, midlothian, lakeview, garland, or robert e. lee

Coppell

Duncanville

Berkner

Rowlett

Sachse

North Mesquite

Lake Highlands

South Grand Prairie

Midlothian

Robert E. Lee

In no particular order.

I don't see SGPH making finals, they just don't have it this year :( . the other 9 are good, but that last spot is a toss up, but I will be there All day seeing as my friends sister goes 1st and my cousin goes on with Berkner

Of course, Berkner, Coppell Duncanville, Rowlett.

Rowlett's show is difficult and they can either sell it (great music), or it falls apart. Hopefully, they will "sell" it!

Dark Horses: Garland HS and Lakeview - both schools have increased the size of their bands and marching looked good. Lakeview left the crowd buzzing because they were so-o-o much better this year. Good for them! Saw them at Mesquite Competition.

Anyway, I think the 4th spot will go to a Garland ISD school (Rowlett & Sachse are included in GISD). That will be cool for 4 different school districts to represent Area C.

I hope my question isn't naive, but can someone please explain why the judges like Coppell so much? I tend to be a fan (not a judge) of the quicker marching speed and more challenging formations that gets the crowds excited. I don't know what exactly the judges are looking at. Thanks :rolleyes:

Of course, Berkner, Coppell Duncanville, Rowlett.

Rowlett's show is difficult and they can either sell it (great music), or it falls apart. Hopefully, they will "sell" it!

Dark Horses: Garland HS and Lakeview - both schools have increased the size of their bands and marching looked good. Lakeview left the crowd buzzing because they were so-o-o much better this year. Good for them! Saw them at Mesquite Competition.

Anyway, I think the 4th spot will go to a Garland ISD school (Rowlett & Sachse are included in GISD). That will be cool for 4 different school districts to represent Area C.

I hope my question isn't naive, but can someone please explain why the judges like Coppell so much? I tend to be a fan (not a judge) of the quicker marching speed and more challenging formations that gets the crowds excited. I don't know what exactly the judges are looking at. Thanks :rolleyes:

I came from there, so I'm not sure if it's any help, but I can try to explain. First off though, I love quick drill and good music; it definitely makes for a much more exciting (and better - if done correctly) show.

Now, I wouldn't go as to say that the judges like Coppell "so much." It has the bias-like connotation to it. People could then say "Why do people like Marcus or Bell so much?" Judges like it when bands really pull off the music and drill. Being a former member (and watching them in the stands), Coppell is a band that can really pull together the music and drill really well, and judges tend to like that sort of stuff.

HOWEVER, judging is a mixed-reaction sort of thing; some judges like the music, some don't like it. Others like the drill, others don't like it. It all depends.

(Hopefully this made some sort of sense.)

By looking at your post...I would say that your are either from Rowlett or a ex of Rowlett.

Coppell is a band that really specializes in technicality of both music and drill. If you really listen to what they are playing...the demand and execution is at a very high level. The drill...while not flying all over the place...has some serious difficulty to it. Look at the block rotations...almost perfect. This year...they are using the huge props. They are getting credit for the originality of the use of these props. They are actually part of the drill and are truly used to enhance the show. They don't just sit in one place.

You have to look at what is on the judges sheets. While credit is given to design...a majority of credit is given to achievement of the design. That is where Coppell truly makes a jump on other organizations. They have very high achievement.

And you have to admit...every now and then...its nice to see a band that achieves what is being asked of them instead of watching bands who almost achieve, but don't quite get it. Its the difference between watching someone learn to ballroom dance and try advance moves versus watching a truly trained couple who can achieve those advanced dance moves with ease. While the beginning couple makes it look hard because they struggle through it...the advanced couple makes what they are doing look not quite as hard because of the ease of which they achieve.

I know they would march if it was just rain, but it's scattered Thunder Storms with the highest chance when Finals would start! So I bet if they finish Prelims and the storms wont moved out for a while they would either try and wait or just take prelims rankings and use those for who advances. If that isn't enough, what ever the wind is in the stands it's 10mph harder on the field becaue of the stadium design. darn You Nature!!

Edited by TxRaider13

Thanks for the explanations. I would not make a good judge then. I'm not a fan of huge props but enjoy the color guards and also drum lines. I love it when the quads and snares show off a bit. And, I also love it when bands have soloists. I'm happy to remain a fan instead of a judge. I don't want to take the fun out of watching all these kids show off their hard work. Thanks again. B)

By looking at your post...I would say that your are either from Rowlett or a ex of Rowlett.

Coppell is a band that really specializes in technicality of both music and drill. If you really listen to what they are playing...the demand and execution is at a very high level. The drill...while not flying all over the place...has some serious difficulty to it. Look at the block rotations...almost perfect. This year...they are using the huge props. They are getting credit for the originality of the use of these props. They are actually part of the drill and are truly used to enhance the show. They don't just sit in one place.

You have to look at what is on the judges sheets. While credit is given to design...a majority of credit is given to achievement of the design. That is where Coppell truly makes a jump on other organizations. They have very high achievement.

And you have to admit...every now and then...its nice to see a band that achieves what is being asked of them instead of watching bands who almost achieve, but don't quite get it. Its the difference between watching someone learn to ballroom dance and try advance moves versus watching a truly trained couple who can achieve those advanced dance moves with ease. While the beginning couple makes it look hard because they struggle through it...the advanced couple makes what they are doing look not quite as hard because of the ease of which they achieve.

1. Rowlett 1 1 2 2 2 = 8

2. Berkner 2 2 3 3 3 = 13

3. Duncanville 4 3 5 1 1 = 14

4. Coppell 3 4 1 4 5 = 17

Music1, Music2, Music3, Marching1, Marching2 = Total

I would agree with all of those, I had a 1st in music for duncanville, but I'm bias to sexy Uniforms!! :P . I don't think Sachse Should have been Alternate, and I think if Finals would have taken place they wouldn't have been, but thats my opinion. The top 4 would have stayed the same 4 but maybe a different order.

How was Duncanville's performance? It seems odd how low their music score was.

Lol Duncanville had the worst time to perform. When they started the clouds opened up, and they performed in heavy rain and Lightning :o . With that being said, they were fantastic and would have probly over taken Rowlett in a final. Duncanville seems to always give me what I want as a Fan and I have always loved that big sound and solid marching they always bring to every contest. Even in the thuderstorm