Mansfield High School 1-1-1 = 1

Martin High School 1-1-1 = 1

Richland High School 1-1-1 = 1

Sam Houston High School 2-2-2 = 2

*Summit High School 1-1-1 = 1

*Timberview High School 2-1-1 = 1

Trinity High School 1-1-1 = 1

*AAAA Bands

So - based on the above, how do you know which bands advance to Area B?

My understanding is that all the '1's qualify.

The performance draw has been posted but no schedule yet.

http://www.uilforms.com/regions/2/AREA%20M...rmanceOrder.pdf

Timberview is 5A.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

List of Area D Schools in order of performance link to full schedule: http://www.uilmusicregion18.com/aread.html

School: Region:

Reagan H.S. 12

Pflugerville H.S. 18

Judson H.S. 12

Westwood H.S. 26

MacArthur H.S. 12

Westlake H.S. 18

Highlands H.S. 12

Harker Heights H.S. 8

Round Rock H.S. 26

Roosevelt H.S. 12

Bowie H.S. 18

Madison H.S. 12

Leander H.S. 26

New Braunfels H.S. 12

Bryan H.S. 8

San Marcos H.S. 18

Robert E. Lee H.S. 12

Temple H.S. 8

Wagner H.S. 12

McNeil H.S. 26

Seguin H.S. 12

Belton H.S. 8

East Central H.S. 12

Akins H.S. 18

Stony Point H.S. 26

Steele H.S. 12

Anderson H.S. 18

Churchill H.S. 12

Ellison H.S. 8

Georgetown H.S. 26

A&M Consolidated H.S. 8

C.T. Johnson H.S. 12

Stephen F. Austin H.S. 18

Copperas Cove H.S. 8

Apparently, Westside's web site says that they qualified, so that means at least 8 bands will qualify from region 23. This means that they will have at least 21 in competition at area E, with 4 to move on to state.

I will try to check on the remaining 2 bands from region 23: Alief Taylor and Alief Elsik. No, the region 23 database on uilforms is not yet updated - even though the contest was over 18 hours ago.

Somebody at UIL must be asleep at the switch......

Any idea why all the Area D bands have to travel down to San Antonio for this contest? It seems like with Austin being centrally located to all four regions that there would be less miles driven overall by all bands if the contest was held in Austin rather than the northern edge of San Antonio.

Any idea why all the Area D bands have to travel down to San Antonio for this contest? It seems like with Austin being centrally located to all four regions that there would be less miles driven overall by all bands if the contest was held in Austin rather than the northern edge of San Antonio.

We're not sure. Usually it's up at the Palace in Round Rock. Maybe it was booked or the San Antonio school got tired of driving up to Austin.

AREA B Schedule if anyone was wondering

Martin- 9:00

Colleyville Heritage- 9:15

Marcus- 9:30

Flower Mound- 9:45

Paschal- 10:00

BREAK

Carroll- 10:30

L.D. Bell- 10:45

Arlington- 11:00

Trinity- 11:15

Timberview- 11:30

McKinney Boyd- 11:45

LUNCH

Weatherford- 1:00

Plano East- 1:15

Haltom- 1:30

North Crowley- 1:45

Hebron- 2:00

BREAK

Allen- 2:30

Mansfield- 2:45

Lewisville- 3:00

Legacy- 3:15

Richland- 3:30

BREAK

Grapevine-4:00

Bowie- 4:15

UNT- 4:30

FINALS- 7:00-9:45

Out of the 34 bands playing, 13 are from San Antonio and 2 others, New Braunfels and San Marcos are closer to SA than Austin. Round Rock is about 20-30 minutes north of Austin and geographically the majority of bands are from SA. I am not crazy enough to look at each and every school individually to see if total miles traveled by all bands are greater to SA or Austin, but I would guess total miles traveled over all area D bands would be less to SA (Heros) than to RR. (This is when somebody out there can mapquest each band to each stadium and see what stadium would generate less total miles....lol)

Edited by just_a_texas_girl

Out of the 34 bands playing, 13 are from San Antonio and 2 others, New Braunfels and San Marcos are closer to SA than Austin. Round Rock is about 20-30 minutes north of Austin and geographically the majority of bands are from SA. I am not crazy enough to look at each and every school individually to see if total miles traveled by all bands are greater to SA or Austin, but I would guess total miles traveled over all area D bands would be less to SA (Heros) than to RR. (This is when somebody out there can mapquest each band to each stadium and see what stadium would generate less total miles....lol)

No Mapquest needed. ;)

Region 8 bands (Waco-Temple area): 7

Region 18 bands (Austin proper and cities south of Austin): 7

Region 26 bands (northern suburbs of Austin): 6

Region 12 bands (northern suburbs of San Antonio and cities north of San Antonio): 14

San Marcos is equidistant between Austin and San Antonio so I'll eliminate them from the discussion. That leaves 19 bands travelling from Austin or further versus the 14 bands staying at home for the contest. Figure in that the region 8 bands are travelling significantly further than anyone else in the area and that weighs the mileage travelled heavily in favor to bands from Austin, its suburbs and Waco/Temple area.

Westside is going to Area this year??? Hmm go figure. I wish they would've gone 2 years ago... <_<

Yes, they did earn a 1 two years ago at Region 23. Then they were no-shows for the area contest. Only 19 bands competed at area E, and as a result, area E only sent 3 to Finals. Cy-Woods finished 4th.

This year, the only no-show for area E is SFA. Fortunately, area E already has 22 bands without them, so 4 bands will go to Finals this time around.

I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why SFA does not show up. Surely they think they will qualify for Finals, after winning the BOA show earlier this month. Why did their band director tell them to take the ACT test, instead of competing at Area E? The ACT is offered several times a year, not just October 23rd. I suspect that there is some other explanation at work here.....

Edited by king_leonides

Yes, they did earn a 1 two years ago at Region 23. Then they were no-shows for the area contest. Only 19 bands competed at area E, and as a result, area E only sent 3 to Finals. Cy-Woods finished 4th.

This year, the only no-show for area E is SFA. Fortunately, area E already has 22 bands without them, so 4 bands will go to Finals this time around.

I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why SFA does not show up. Surely they think they will qualify for Finals, after winning the BOA show earlier this month. Why did their band director tell them to take the ACT test, instead of competing at Area E? The ACT is offered several times a year, not just October 23rd. I suspect that there is some other explanation at work here.....

SFA is on Area D schedule.

It's in San Antonio because all the SA people have been whining about it forever....
certainly not whining anymore :P

From what I heard was that it was more economical to have it at Heroes Stadium as they seem to be counting the total of schools going from each region, not by the exact total of all bands, and region 12 had the most. It certainly doesn't seem fair to the bands in region 8 tho. Lucky for Copperas Cove H.S they perform at 6:15pm but not for Harker Heights at 10:15am.

certainly not whining anymore :P

From what I heard was that it was more economical to have it at Heroes Stadium as they seem to be counting the total of schools going from each region, not by the exact total of all bands, and region 12 had the most. It certainly doesn't seem fair to the bands in region 8 tho. Lucky for Copperas Cove H.S they perform at 6:15pm but not for Harker Heights at 10:15am.

KRAC Stadium (Palace) is more centrally located (and thus more economical). It's true that SA has the most amount of bands coming from one general area, but there are more bands overall that are closer to Austin. It's all cool though, since I have to wake up around 5:30 in the morning just to go all the way to San An and perform at like 10:45 and wait another 8 hours to hear finals appearances....

I feel bad for all of you that have to get up that early, I'm glad both Region and Area was held at Mesquite Memorial, all you had to do was take 2 exits and and 4 lights from my house, or 6miles and I was there ready to go. So I feel bad I never had to do that, but for Lufkin and other East Texas schools they did if they got an early slot.

KRAC Stadium (Palace) is more centrally located (and thus more economical). It's true that SA has the most amount of bands coming from one general area, but there are more bands overall that are closer to Austin. It's all cool though, since I have to wake up around 5:30 in the morning just to go all the way to San An and perform at like 10:45 and wait another 8 hours to hear finals appearances....
Yeah, been there, done that. Had to be at school at 3am to take the charter buses to The Woodlands BOA, the band perfomed around 10 am and then had to wait all day to hear results and perform in finals. I think all the bands have to do something like that at one time or another. Part of the joy of marching band. Edited by kdnblue142

We had a football game the Friday night before BOA Houston, had to meet at the school at 3AM to get to Houston for an early performance time, had to wait around all afternoon for the results and then had to perform that night at finals.

It really is part of the program and I am sure that all those parents and kids out there have done it. It is fair to move these competitions around so the same schools aren't always close to the stadiums and the same schools aren't always far away and have to travel. Nobody wants to get up early and travel, but yet somebody does have to do it, so does it have to be the same schools every year? B)

Early morning call times is just apart of band. I remember having a 2am call time to go to BOA Arlington because of our 10:45am performance time. And after having a football game the night before. That was pretty rough.

In the end though its those road trips that are really some of the best times.