What kind of weather could have taco-ed a sousa without giving enough notice to cancel/postpone the contest? Now that I know that happened, though, I'm glad it's in the dome.

On a side note, and this is just a random thought: What would happen if everyone in the Allen band blasted in the dome? Not saying it would happen, just throwing out a "what if" I thought of after reading Joeyz's statement.

What kind of weather could have taco-ed a sousa without giving enough notice to cancel/postpone the contest? Now that I know that happened, though, I'm glad it's in the dome.

On a side note, and this is just a random thought: What would happen if everyone in the Allen band blasted in the dome? Not saying it would happen, just throwing out a "what if" I thought of after reading Joeyz's statement.

As for the TACO tuba, it was massive rain, after the Baylor football team got thrashed in a home game, so their body imprints were every where like puddles....Okay thats a little over doing it, but their were puddles and holes and it rained all day. Tubas Taco-ed and I believe one band had a kid break some ribs. And as for Allen High, I would love to hear them play in the dome, and if I had to guess, I wouldn't be able to talk to the people around me while they played

As for the TACO tuba, it was massive rain, after the Baylor football team got thrashed in a home game, so their body imprints were every where like puddles....Okay thats a little over doing it, but their were puddles and holes and it rained all day. Tubas Taco-ed and I believe one band had a kid break some ribs. And as for Allen High, I would love to hear them play in the dome, and if I had to guess, I wouldn't be able to talk to the people around me while they played

I don't remember hearing about any broken ribs, but there was at least one broken arm in addition to the taco tuba.

Hey, but Floyd Casey has turf now, so no holes! We actually have brand new turf, again, so it's great for marching.

I understand the reasons for having the contest in the dome, and there are some excellent ones, but I personally think that it should be outside. There's just something about marching under the lights at finals- and outside you don't have the annoying reverb that you basically have to write around if you want to have your music heard in the 'Dome.

I don't remember hearing about any broken ribs, but there was at least one broken arm in addition to the taco tuba.

AHH thats what it was, a broken arm..not to mention, it was freaking cold sitting in the rain. I'm a fan of an outdoor stadium, but not Floyd Casey, maybe a little farther south at UT, but I guess the Alamo Dome works untill a better stadium is selected.....Come on Cowboys stadium.

Come on Cowboys stadium.

Aside from the awful acoustics, I don't think that there is any possible way to hold a tournament in Cowboys Stadium due to the physical logistics of how to move bands on and off the field. There is just no good way to keep things moving in that stadium without creating a log jam. It is designed for football and a single halftime show or concert, and not for multiple shows back to back to back.

Aside from the awful acoustics, I don't think that there is any possible way to hold a tournament in Cowboys Stadium due to the physical logistics of how to move bands on and off the field. There is just no good way to keep things moving in that stadium without creating a log jam. It is designed for football and a single halftime show or concert, and not for multiple shows back to back to back.

The stadium in Houston??? and IF they moved back outside the stadium needs to be south, Austin, Houston area at one of the university stadiums.....but for now it's all good, untill my dad moves and I have to pay for a hotel

In contests with so many bands traveling to far, with days taken off school, they can't postpone. Which is why they DID cancel finals. But as someone said earlier - if you're a really great band, the reverb from the dome shouldn't affect you're performance. I like watching shows in domes better because the music tends to be more in-your-face, so I think Allen would sound awesome in one if they ignored to reverb. Plus its just more comfortable.

Edited by Joeyz

The stadium in Houston??? and IF they moved back outside the stadium needs to be south, Austin, Houston area at one of the university stadiums.....but for now it's all good, untill my dad moves and I have to pay for a hotel

Reliant Stadium is Natural Grass. There's no way they'd let us tear that up in the middle of Football season.

I say I enjoy domes for the State Contests. Especially for the smaller AA or AAA bands that most often need a closed building in order to hear all of the sounds. For the larger AAAA and AAAAA bands, State would most ideally be held outside somewhere nice. Of course, because State holds both small bands and large bands each year, I would have to say a dome would be most logical. It provides a chance for the small bands to play and be heard over the extra noise created by thousands of spectators and venues in the stadium, and the bigger bands wouldn't have to blast their sound just to make an impact. Being a current high school student, I like domes better because of the effects it gives the sound after a hold.

As for judges being on the field at ALL contests. No. Not the best idea. first of all, if I don't sound too horribly opininated, I like to see videos of bands performing without the judge getting run over by the snares.But for technical reasons, I would say BOA is really the only contest they need judges on the field. With so much going on all day, it would be difficult for the judges upstairs to hear everything precisely. At State, I don't believe it is needed as much although it would be logical for judging accurately. BOA needs to judge EVERYTHING to be exact and determine exactly what score each band gets because of its rules but State I think, simply needs a few good judges to hear everything right and score without the absolute need of a judge on the field although it might help.

I do like the idea of judges on the field, as long as they are only judging technique, not the actual marching itself. I believe that element should be left for the judges in the stands, because a major part of marching band is the point of view. Imagine if you had to watch a bands performance from the side, it would look terrible unless they were in horizontal lines the entire time, which can be fairly boring (I LOVE diagonals) especially from that stands.

I also enjoy the ring of Domes, I love listening to the bands in the Alamo Dome because it sounds so great, especially when Marcus has their playing feature in the first minute of their show. As from a playing stand point, it is kind of weird because the echo can easily screw up people who listen to the music for cues instead of watching their drum major. I thought it was a little difficult but it just adds to the fun of the performance.

I also think that the State Marching Contest should be in a dome.

Like today for example Area B Contest experienced rain all day. It messed up some performances and resulted in long delays and the cancellation of the finals. Having competitions in domes solves this problem plus it allows for larger seating capacity and tha nice Ring that evryone loves.

However, i think State should be at Cowboys stadium because it is by far the best football stadium in the world, I speak from experience, I've played there many times myself.

As for judges on the field, no, just no. THey would be too nitpicky and focus on insignificant mistakes. THey should be where the audience is because that is who the contest is for. we perform to the stands and thats where the judges should be, not walking around staring at us while we are trying to perform.

Edited by idesofmarch

I also think that the State Marching Contest should be in a dome.

Like today for example Area B Contest experienced rain all day. It messed up some performances and resulted in long delays and the cancellation of the finals. Having competitions in domes solves this problem plus it allows for larger seating capacity and tha nice Ring that evryone loves.

However, i think State should be at Cowboys stadium because it is by far the best football stadium in the world, I speak from experience, I've played there many times myself.

As for judges on the field, no, just no. THey would be too nitpicky and focus on insignificant mistakes. THey should be where the audience is because that is who the contest is for. we perform to the stands and thats where the judges should be, not walking around staring at us while we are trying to perform.

The Deathstar may look like a cool venue from the outside, but it may be the worst location God (or His counterpart) ever created for sound. I have been to several high school and college games as well as a professionally staged concert there. I can tell you, there is no band anywhere that can be made to sound good there.

Personally i LOVE! domes there are so many cool effects a marching band can do with them. For example this year our ballad was facing back field during the ballad playing full out and the sound traveled around the dome and sounding amazing.

And judges there fine they judge band memebers marching and they can see that a band is totally selling the preformance through facial exppresions and body carriage that cant be seen from a box. Besides if they get in the way you can run them over and not lose any points. What other sport can claim that? ^_^

And judges there fine they judge band memebers marching and they can see that a band is totally selling the preformance through facial exppresions and body carriage that cant be seen from a box. Besides if they get in the way you can run them over and not lose any points. What other sport can claim that? ^_^

Baseball, Football, Soccer, Hockey, Basketball. Need I say more