2nd - Richland

3rd - Waxahachie

4th - College Park

5th - Birdville

6th - McKinney Boyd

7th - Hays

8th - Alvin

All Captions - Coppell

When does DMI normally post the score recaps? Does anyone have them already? Seems like Coppell had a solid performance; interested to hear from anyone that was there...

Coppell's performance was solid, as always. It's by far the best-designed show they've ever put on the field, so kudos to them on that. They have some musical issues that might be problematic at State, like individuals sticking out, thin section tone in places, and a general lack of resonance on note releases. Those are all part of their style, though, and it hasn't been a huge detractor in years past. Overall, the show was very clean and should make finals at State.

The only time I had seen Richland's show prior to last night was on the MFA website, where it ended with the ballad. I felt it was lacking at the time, but the performance last night was energetic, fast-paced, and very well thought-out. The velocity held them back a bit in visual execution, but it's definitely one of the best sounding Richland bands I've ever seen.

Waxahachie is the little band that could. They were one of the smallest bands (along with Birdville) and were very clean, with the exception of a few minor phasing issues. Blue Shades was by far the most challenging music at the contest, and their velocity was on par with Richland. It was a strong drum corps-style show with great hits and overall tone, but their small numbers keep them from sustaining big, relaxed sounds for extended periods like the larger bands. Definitely the strongest WHS band to date.

I liked College Park's show a lot. Very nice sounds coming out of the band throughout the show, but they had some phasing issues throughout the opener. The drill was a bit chaotic, and upper body carriage was a bit wiggly, which is what dropped them down to 4th in finals.

Duncanville's exhibition was amazing! There are big balance issues in Church Windows with brass covering up the woodwind/pit line, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching their performance. The show seemed to have more energy than other performances I've seen from the band, and the uniforms are definitely sharp. I loved the show design, too! I can see a resurgence of this band into the competitive marching world with this style of show.

I caught bits of Birdville's show and loved the overall effect. They play with very nice tone and balance, and did a great job of filling up with field visually and musically.

I didn't get a chance to see the other shows in full, but I'm sure they were all strong considering those bands' track records.

I can see a resurgence of this band into the competitive marching world with this style of show.

I know what you mean by this statement (this is a huge leap forward in show design for D'ville), however considering Duncanville has made State Finals every year since 1988, I'm not sure "resurgence" is the right word. ;)

I know what you mean by this statement (this is a huge leap forward in show design for D'ville), however considering Duncanville has made State Finals every year since 1988, I'm not sure "resurgence" is the right word. ;)

Good point. To rephrase, I meant I could see them attending some of the more competitive optional contests throughout marching season instead of purely UIL-based contests like Mesquite or DeSoto. I'd be very interested in seeing them attend the Arlington BOA contest in the near future, but I have my doubts as to whether that will happen.

It wouldn't shock me to see Duncanville return to BOA in the near future. With Dr. Shine's retirement, there is not a single director on the staff who was teaching at DHS when the "BOA Boycott" started in the mid-90s (though current director Jeff King was teaching beginners/junior high in the district at the time).