• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think this is more of a classic battle between Difficulty and Cleanliness. DS marches shows that aren't the most difficult in the world, but they are insanely clean. Cedar Park marches a much harder show than DS but isn't quite as clean.

I'll disagree with the previous statements though as I still think that DS will have a really hard time keeping up with CP. This is a Grand Nationals finalist after all...Should be fun though. Looking forward to it!

Maybe I have alot of faith in Dripping Springs but I don't think it will be as much of a runaway for Cedar Park.

But i'll disagree with the previous statement. Although CP may have been a Grand National Finalist, that doesn't always translate to UIL standards. LD Bell won Bronze last year at Grand Nationals but didn't win State.

Now I'm interested to know who will be this years dark horse!

Edited by NickRC

But i'll disagree with the previous statement. Although CP may have been a Grand National Finalist, that doesn't always translate to UIL standards. LD Bell won Bronze last year at Grand Nationals but didn't win State.

Yes, because they got beat at state by the same group that beat them at BOA San Antonio :P I think a better example would be The Woodlands 2006 or SFA 2004 (though there's a lot more to the story with this).

Mr. Chreste wanted the drill to be easier last year for our BOA Grand Nationals show so every fan would be able to easily see the concept of the show (musical notations in the Mahler, E=MC^2 drill and numbers in the Einstein mmt., Picasso-like formations in the Picasso mmt. as some examples). This year, they brought back the good ol' UIL difficulty drill to be able to showcase their skills marching and playing the difficult arrangements of the Mahler symphonies.

Am I the only one who finds it a bit ironic that Cedar Park dumbs down the drill for BOA and goes difficult for UIL? :rolleyes:

Yes, because they got beat at state by the same group that beat them at BOA San Antonio :P I think a better example would be The Woodlands 2006 or SFA 2004 (though there's a lot more to the story with this).

Am I the only one who finds it a bit ironic that Cedar Park dumbs down the drill for BOA and goes difficult for UIL? :rolleyes:

Yeah I noticed that after I posted that, so thanks for the better example!

But I find the explanation for why they dumb drill down for BOA and go difficult for UIL more ironic. :lol:

Edited by NickRC

Maybe I have alot of faith in Dripping Springs but I don't think it will be as much of a runaway for Cedar Park.

Now I'm interested to know who will be this years dark horse!

As far as dark horses, I got money on Waxahachie. They just won honor band so we know they can play. With that and an 8th place finish at state the last time around, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 5 at state this year.

Vandegrift... Spicer... Shostakovich... Nuf said I think.

Cedar Ridge. I saw this program in finals at Sam Houston marching only sophmores and freshmen. I was very impressed by their quality of sound. I'm interested to see what they come up with this year.

And you can't count out Hendrickson. Can't say enough good things about this program. They have been a State Marching Band finalist for the past 3 cycles(where I believe they got 5th all three times) and finals at Honor Band the last 2 cycles.

The whole BOA vs. UIL debate is kind of pointless here because CP has succeeded in both systems over the last few years.

But who knows, I can totally see neither of these bands winning it and Vandegrift taking it. Wouldn't count Connally out either.

Also curious - what are the chances of Area D taking 5 bands this year? they've added VR, Connally and CP since the last cycle, which took 4 bands. Don't know if the area lost some bands though?

The whole BOA vs. UIL debate is kind of pointless here because CP has succeeded in both systems over the last few years.

But who knows, I can totally see neither of these bands winning it and Vandegrift taking it. Wouldn't count Connally out either.

Also curious - what are the chances of Area D taking 5 bands this year? they've added VR, Connally and CP since the last cycle, which took 4 bands. Don't know if the area lost some bands though?

In my opinion Area D is the most competitive, that being said I could see them taking 5 bands this year!

I don't think that area d lost any bands but they sure did pick up some big time competitors.

My Early AREA D top 5 (in no particular order)

Cedar Park

Dripping Springs

Vandegrift

Henderickson

Hays

Remember that this is just my opinion and it's still very early!

Edited by NickRC

Cedar Park

Dripping Springs

Vandegrift

Henderickson

Hays

Honestly, I don't agree with you. Here is my top 5:

Cedar Park - My pick to win it all. They have made the finals at Grand Nationals and won the 4A Contest in 2001.

Vandegrift - A close second. I have only seen them perform one time but they were very good.

Friendswood - They have gotten second three times: 2003, 2005, and 2009. I don't think you can count them out of possibly medaling.

Dripping Springs - Performed a great show in 2009. Could they repeat?

Waxahachie - Won the Honor Band competition this year and have improved greatly in their marching abilities.

Other notables:

Connally HS

Poteet HS

Hendrickson HS

Vista Ridge HS

Aledo HS

Dawson HS

Hays HS

Roma HS

Legacy HS

I am sure there are others I am forgetting. This contest could likely be the most competitive in 10 years. Several of these bands could probably make the finals at the 5A contest next year.

Honestly, I don't agree with you. Here is my top 5:

Cedar Park - My pick to win it all. They have made the finals at Grand Nationals and won the 4A Contest in 2001.

Vandegrift - A close second. I have only seen them perform one time but they were very good.

Friendswood - They have gotten second three times: 2003, 2005, and 2009. I don't think you can count them out of possibly medaling.

Dripping Springs - Performed a great show in 2009. Could they repeat?

Waxahachie - Won the Honor Band competition this year and have improved greatly in their marching abilities.

Other notables:

Connally HS

Poteet HS

Hendrickson HS

Vista Ridge HS

Aledo HS

Dawson HS

Hays HS

Roma HS

Legacy HS

I am sure there are others I am forgetting. This contest could likely be the most competitive in 10 years. Several of these bands could probably make the finals at the 5A contest next year.

Uh oh my bad I forgot to say that was just for AREA D, Well I'll agree for the most part with your overall ranking.

In my opinion Area D is the most competitive, that being said I could see them taking 5 bands this year!

I don't think that area d lost any bands but they sure did pick up some big time competitors.

My Early AREA D top 5 (in no particular order)

Cedar Park

Dripping Springs

Vandegrift

Henderickson

Hays

Although Hays was a state finalist last year and has been improving greatly, I think either Vista Ridge or Connally would take that spot.

Although Hays was a state finalist last year and has been improving greatly, I think either Vista Ridge or Connally would take that spot.

Agreed. Hays was the beneficiary of Connally and Vista not being there 2 years ago. Area D finals will be pretty close to a state finals level this year. Can it be October already?

Legacy HS

Legacy's moved up to 5A so there's no chance of them being at 4A state this year, lol.

And this is the first time I've ever been excited for 4A State. Its definitely gonna be a good one! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
After watching a video from CP from this past week, let me restate - It's gonna be nearly impossible to beat this guys. There are a lot of great bands in 4A this year, but Cedar Park is at the top of its game once again.

Are you talking about the "Mahler Homecoming Performance" video?

I watched that one yesterday and I have to say they look very strong for this early. Their music was arranged very well and their playing was very clean.

I'm old school when It comes to marching. I'm not one for a bunch of GE body movements in a show, but I can appreciate it when a band does it well. I was very impressed with how in sync the band was as a whole during those moves.

Sadly I won't get to see this show live until Oct. 28th. Cedar Park V.S. Dripping Springs football game. Area D is the next day. Nice!

Edited by Rocktapus512

Here's the latest CPHS performance from Friday night if you are interested. Less wind noise but lots of crowd noise this week on the balad. If you are in the area come to the Leander Festival of Band at Bible stadium Monday 9/26. The Leander Band show is very good too, as is Vandy and you can see CPHS's show live. I know that Vista Ridge and Rouse will be good too, but I haven't seen those shows in person yet so I can't really tell you about them. Leander is playing with renewed power this year.

• 3 weeks later...