UIL Classification Realignment

blue-uil-texas.gif

UIL reclassifies schools every two years. To view the entire breakdown of the realignments, go to UIL's website at: http://www.uil.utexas.edu/

A few notables:

Moving down to 4A is Cedar Park, Creekview, John B. Connally, Mansfield Summit, Vista Ridge

Moving up to 5A is Mansfield Legacy, Mansfield Timberview, Seguin

You sure that Seguin is 5A now? I could've sworn they were still 4A.

Area D 4A Marching Contest:

Dripping Springs (2009 4A State Champ)

Hendrickson (2005-2009 4A State 5th Place Finalist)

Hays (2009 4A State Finalist)

John B Connally (2007 4A Silver Medalist, 2008 5A State Alternate)

Cedar Park (2008 5A State 4th Place Finalist)

Vista Ridge (2007 4A State Finalist, 2008 5A State Qualifier)

Vandergrift (2009 4A State Alternate as a first year school, marching 50 kids)

Holy bloodbath Batman, this be a great contest in about two years.

Area D 4A was already heavy - sending 3 bands into finals at State this year and 4 finalists in '07. Now we add Cedar Park who's been one of the top 5A bands, Connally who finished 2nd at State in '07, Vista Ridge who made 4A finals in '07 and then 5A State in '08, and Vandegrift who just missed out on State in their first year! WOW - it's going to be tough getting through this group in 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little heads up: I may be wrong, but I'm almost positive there's a UIL rule that says that when a band moves from 5A to 4A, they cannot participate in the first state marching contest after switching. What this would mean is that all the 5A bands that just moved down would have to wait until 2013 to participate in a state marching contest (because 2011 would be their first state year in 4A). The class of 2013 will actually not get to go to a state year at all in these programs. Again, I may be wrong, but I heard this from a very reliable source, so I highly doubt it.

Just a little heads up: I may be wrong, but I'm almost positive there's a UIL rule that says that when a band moves from 5A to 4A, they cannot participate in the first state marching contest after switching. What this would mean is that all the 5A bands that just moved down would have to wait until 2013 to participate in a state marching contest (because 2011 would be their first state year in 4A). The class of 2013 will actually not get to go to a state year at all in these programs. Again, I may be wrong, but I heard this from a very reliable source, so I highly doubt it.

I do not believe there is a rule in place that says if you switch classes after realignment, you are not allowed to participate in State that year.

For example:

Cedar Park won UIL 4A State in 2001 and participated in UIL 5A State in 2002.

Richland won UIL 4A State in 2003 and participated in UIL 5A State in 2004.

I realize these two schools moved up and not down a class but it wouldn't make sense if there was a such rule.

It would have to be a recently passed rule because Richland was a 5A in 2001, but moved down for the 2002/2003 (and won 4A state), and then moved back up to 5A the following year. Oh and in talking with the Connally directors at TMEA, they are fully expecting to compete at Area in 2011.

Edited by titancoaster

That is absolutely not a rule. Perhaps the rule you are thinking of is the one where if you don't adhere to the UIL Marching 8-hour Rule in a non-State year, then you are not allowed to advance to State in the State year even if you adhere to the UIL Marching 8-hour Rule in the State year.

That is absolutely not a rule. Perhaps the rule you are thinking of is the one where if you don't adhere to the UIL Marching 8-hour Rule in a non-State year, then you are not allowed to advance to State in the State year even if you adhere to the UIL Marching 8-hour Rule in the State year.

Now, now Dan... you know better than to not trust high school kids when it comes to BOA, UIL, WGI, DCI rules! If he/she says it's so, it must be so!!

Besides... they probably heard it from a classmate who was in band class the day their director's student teacher was telling the drum major to go and ask the band president the URL for the 4A/5A stuff. They just foolishly heard UIL!

:P

If I'm remember correctly 2006 Leander was close to making state? Georgetown was also in the running... It's hard to say because there are sooo many good bands in that area

2006 was a great year for Georgetown. 4th in Area D prelims, PASIC champions, Lonestar champions, State runner-up in TCGC. But that all seems so long ago now. I think Georgetown will be in the running for a 4A berth long before they'll ever be back in the 5A game (the school is gradually splitting and will eventually become 2 separate High Schools). They don't have really anything to look forward to with the way they performed last season and how their staff lineup is a constantly revolving door. They lost Kevin Rabon who was the lifeblood of their '06 and '07 successes, and Paul Pape and Tyler Dempsey are now both at Cedar Park. So, what was once a drumline that could go to head to toe with drumlines like Marcus, Colleyville Heritage, Fossil Ridge and Round Rock is now nothing more than a shadow of their former glory. It's all kind of depressing for me as an alumni myself.

They lost Kevin Rabon who was the lifeblood of their '06 and '07 successes, and Paul Pape and Tyler Dempsey are now both at Cedar Park. So, what was once a drumline that could go to head to toe with drumlines like Marcus, Colleyville Heritage, Fossil Ridge and Round Rock is now nothing more than a shadow of their former glory. It's all kind of depressing for me as an alumni myself.

Just FYI Tyler Dempsey is at LBJ High School, and Not Cedar Park, and he teaches lessons at McNeil High School.

• 3 months later...

I think you might be thinking of Honor Band competition. It falls under that "a band cannot succeed itself as an honor band" rule. Lindale won 3A honor band one year, and the next, the school got bumped up to 4A, they still played the 3A honor band concert, but I don't think they could compete for 4A honor band.

As far as Marching, anything goes. Coppell won the 4A state contest, and the next year, they moved up to 5A and made it to preliminaries.

I may be getting my facts mixed up, though.