Now there's a topic I do not understand.

I see all these videos of like Westfield doing amazing at marching in the 90's, and people talking about them being the best band of that era, but I never hear about them making finals in any major competitions lately.

What is the deal? Did they get a major staff change or something?

Or did they just stop caring as much?...

Now there's a topic I do not understand.

I see all these videos of like Westfield doing amazing at marching in the 90's, and people talking about them being the best band of that era, but I never hear about them making finals in any major competitions lately.

What is the deal? Did they get a major staff change or something?

Or did they just stop caring as much?...

Oh, they still care. Their director, Philip Geiger retired in the past few years, and they have a different director now.

They are still one of the premier bands in the nation, having placed in finals in I believe every BOA event attended until this year. They have made Grand National finals 4 times, never placing lower than 2nd, and they were the 2003 Grand National Champions.

I'm not from Texas, and I can tell you that Westfield is very well respected around these parts, being mentioned in the same breath as the Plymouth-Cantons, the Broken Arrows, the Carmels of the world.

Give them time, and I think they'll be right on the upper echelon again.

Edited by dmbalash

They've undergone some major staff changes and style changes since their 2003 National Championship program. There are very few programs that have sustained their same level of success through a head director change.

I hope something like that doesn't happen to our school..I'm from Cedar Park, and next year our head marching band director is resigning, and our school is branching off...

Edited by euphownz

I hope something like that doesn't happen to our school..I'm from Cedar Park, and next year our head marching band director is resigning, and our school is branching off...

Its very hard to recover from both of those events. Unfortunately my school was never able to get back to where we were in the mid 80's-mid 90's after a school split. I can only imagine what adding a director change to that could do.

However, I believe with time any program can get back to the top with the right direction. To the original topic I think Westfield can return to powerhouse status. It really all depends on how much trust the kids have in the new director.

Isn't your marching band director taking over at the new school? I would call that a promotion, not a resignation.

Well I wouldn't really consider it better...becuase he was second band director at one of the top school in the state, and now he's going to be one spot higher at a brand new school, that is going to be nowhere near as good.

Doesn't seem like a positive.

In the words of my lesson teacher: I would rather be the crap of the cream, than the cream of the crap.

Well I wouldn't really consider it better...becuase he was second band director at one of the top school in the state, and now he's going to be one spot higher at a brand new school, that is going to be nowhere near as good.

Doesn't seem like a positive.

In the words of my lesson teacher: I would rather be the crap of the cream, than the cream of the crap.

Ahh, Marching Band Director, I thought you meant head director in my post above. I just assumed you meant head because of the different systems we come from.

I'm sure most directors aren't content with being assistants their entire career, no matter how successful the program may be. Eventually they want a program that they can call their own.

Ahh, Marching Band Director, I thought you meant head director in my post above. I just assumed you meant head because of the different systems we come from.

I'm sure most directors aren't content with being assistants their entire career, no matter how successful the program may be. Eventually they want a program that they can call their own.

Yeah, that's the main reason he said he was leaving. It's funny though because he said he's still designing our show. And who knows, we might be better, becuase the guy that's taking over is second in command to the Director of SCV.

Cedar Park will be fine, this year Connally went through our first head director change in the history of the school, and still did very well through our season. Connally also was split a while ago when Hendrickson opened, and again Connally rose up and shortly after the split (or maybe the year of the split) CHS won a State Bronze Medal. So your obstacles can be overcome, you just can't think too negatively, just go out there and own!

Cedar Park will be fine, this year Connally went through our first head director change in the history of the school, and still did very well through our season. Connally also was split a while ago when Hendrickson opened, and again Connally rose up and shortly after the split (or maybe the year of the split) CHS won a State Bronze Medal. So your obstacles can be overcome, you just can't think too negatively, just go out there and own!

Thanks, I really appreciate that XD

And how good the new director is.

You know, Cedar Park did amazing things this past season. And while Mr. Spicer is no doubt a great director and inspired you all to your very best, remember it is YOU and your BANDMATES who marched that amazing show that rocked the rafters at the Alamodome. Show leadership, be positive and REFUSE to lower your standards. You'll be amazed what might happen. You know that Spicer would tell you the same thing. :rolleyes:

i know im kinda late and it's been a while but i think i should be the one to say something about since I went to Westfield.

Well of course Philip Geiger was the first head band director with Westfield since the 80s and retired in the 03-04 school year. After that Jodie Rhodes was head band director from the 04-05 school year to the 07-08 school year. Now Diane Vasquez is head band director of Westfield. She has worked under Philip Geiger in previous years and is responsible for a lot of trophies that both Spring and Westfield possess. If my knowledge is correct, I think she was one of the directors who was apart of the Spring '93 show. Plus Westfield has an excellent colorguard director as of now by the name of "K.C." (hadn't learned his full name lol) who directed colorguards in Colorado and is doing an excellent job with the guard now. They haven't lost a winterguard competition yet.

So look out for Westfield. They will be back on top of things in the mere future.

i know im kinda late and it's been a while but i think i should be the one to say something about since I went to Westfield.

Well of course Philip Geiger was the first head band director with Westfield since the 80s and retired in the 03-04 school year. After that Jodie Rhodes was head band director from the 04-05 school year to the 07-08 school year. Now Diane Vasquez is head band director of Westfield. She has worked under Philip Geiger in previous years and is responsible for a lot of trophies that both Spring and Westfield possess. If my knowledge is correct, I think she was one of the directors who was apart of the Spring '93 show. Plus Westfield has an excellent colorguard director as of now by the name of "K.C." (hadn't learned his full name lol) who directed colorguards in Colorado and is doing an excellent job with the guard now. They haven't lost a winterguard competition yet.

So look out for Westfield. They will be back on top of things in the mere future.

Good. I'm excited to see if they can pull off as great quality shows as they did back in the day, if not better.

• 2 weeks later...

K.C. Michael has come back to Westfield after taking a break back home in Colorado, and my has he and his Westfield 2002 alumnus assistant, Lindsey Heinen, changed the guard program around. I have no idea how many of the 12 Westfield TCGC Sate Champion trophies he was responsible for, but I believe it was a good chunk of them. I haven't seen their show this year, but hopefully I'll get to see them at TCGC State. They lowered a class every year under two different head directors after 2004-2005 from Scholastic A to Scholastic AAA in 2006-2007, didn't participate in winterguard under Kevin Nix my senior year, and have been promoted during the current season to Scholastic AA. I'm so proud of them and hope they keep up the work.

Edited by manuel_pablo

• 2 weeks later...

I am an alumni from Westfield class of 2004. I am excited to see how Westfield will grow in the next few years. I think that the Big Red Band has the capability of coming back and being better than ever. It took a lot of dedication and hard work from all members of the band, from students, to parent to teachers. I am sure you all understand that. I went to a couple of their practices the past couple of years and the students are really just need to work on adjusting to the new directors teaching styles. They will get it. Go Mustangs!!!

I am currently the drum major in the Westfield Big Red Band and all i have to say is watch out other texas bands!!!

Westfield is coming Back!!!!

I hope so. Leadership was a big part of the success that we had in 2003, so just stay on top of the section leaders and other office members in the band. If you all work together, you will be able to accomplish some great things while at Westfield. Good luck.