How to Make a Section Solid?

C1Sherman2010

Hey! A friend of mine and I are going (my predictions, dont know yet) to be section leaders next year. He was already section leader and I was drill assistant but our other section leader who is a senior is graduating this year. That makes it that he and I are going to be section leaders together. I have this policy of "Do it right or run". Obvioiusly I am not going to be doing that during Fish Camp and the first few weeks of Band Camp, but at least once school starts, they should know how to march and I should not have to tell them over and over, thus the "do it right or run" policy works :) . Because I wasnt section leader this year, I can really do punishments.

What should I do to become an effective section leader that gets the section to do as he says and to do it right but to also have fun? I am a very loud and fun person! I really want to have an amazing senior year and state year (yeah, you will see Sherman at State in 2009 !!)! Please, any imput!!!

Sign,

Chase

I'm also Clarinet section leader. Although I march Tenor Sax. There was a tenor hole, and we had extra clarinets. So one of the Bb's went to my Bass Clarinet spot, and I filled the Tenor void.

Don't skip fundamentals at music rehearsals. Long tones are your friend, especially for Bb Clarinets. Get them to breath together, go for 2 counts before the first note. If they can breath together, chances are they will be able to play together as well.

And most importantly, lead by example.

hey, im not a leader but if i can just put my word in as an outsider...

punishment isnt always the best way to get them to listen. itll most likely just make them be mad and then theyll be grumpy all rehearsal.

my leaders are pretty good actually, they call us out and stuff, but like rpd said, they lead by example, and thats the biggest thing. freshmen need an example to look up to, and thats the biggest thing in my opinion.

I guess I'll chime in here. Sometimes making kids run isn't always the best way to motivate them, though in many cases it is. I marched with a drum corps the past two summers and they took the ''beat the kids into the ground'' approach for the first month, realized we were all unhappy and miserable for the first month, then they tried a much different approach. We ended up with our highest placement in 29 years and having a much better time.

So basically don't just punish them for the sake of punishing them :)

Yay, a fellow clarinet player!

Well, I was section leader for two years when I was in high school and it was kind of tough for me because I'm not the most assertive person in the world (I have been told I'm "too nice") and because I was only a junior when I became the only section leader and there were seniors I had to boss around. Anyway, it's not always fun and games being a section leader; you really have to prove that you're capable of telling others what to do and try not to care whether it'll make you 'cool' when you have to do your job. For example, I had to tell some of my fellow clarinets to take off certain jewelry before a region marching band contest...they didn't want to, especially this one girl whose bracelets wouldn't come off, but were showing whenever she would play her clarinet. I thought we were going to have to cut them off (they were a cloth-type thing) but I bargained with her and we somehow rolled them down her wrist and got them off. I also had issues with the older crowd, who didn't feel like listening to me when I told them to quiet down or would try to overstep my authority and would tell the underclassmen to do something they were told not to do by me AND the band director. I guess with that example you could also learn that when things get too tough, you need to call in the band director. Just because you're section leader doesn't mean you have super powers :) I wasn't allowed to punish my section, though, but I don't think I would have. The worst trouble i really had with my section was talking during rehearsals and playing around, but that got taken care quickly with a talk and a threat that if they didn't stop I would go to the band director and it would probably affect their class grade as a whole..lol..

Anyway, I could go into way more detail, but I think that if you can realize that being section leader entails a lot of responsibility and that you can't always be the 'cool' section leader you envision you'll always be. There will be some times when you have to bite the bullet and go against what's popular in demand. But seriously, there were so many amazing things that I got out of being a section leader that I wouldn't change any of it if I had to go back to high school and do it over. GOOD LUCK!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

check this out... being a section leader isnt easy i know... but i seem to notice especially my last 2 years that being yourself is your best friend.. we as leaders werent allowed to discipline but just going out there and being a a-hole isnt going to get you anywhere u want to be serious when its time but u also want to also keep your character as well... the rules of the band hall are always in effect no matter who u are... if freshman see u doing something ur not and ur a leader chances are for them to do the same thing are much more likely... so the best advice ive ever recieved is be yourself but also know the rules and when its time to work and be serious

• 2 weeks later...

Take this to heart: it can drastically improve a section's playing ability, which is the whole goal of this whole band/corps thing anyway.

Never underestimate the power of section chemistry. A unified ensemble that not only practices together, but actually likes to, can make a decent ensemble good, a good one great, and a great one outstanding.

Plan some time to get your boys and girls together to put away the instruments and just hang out. Find a restaurant (us in my 'ol HS line have done Buffalo Wild Wings multiple times, and even us that graduated still do) or any place to chill and be in a relaxed but fun environment.

It's hard to believe at first, but it can pay off dividends in the way y'all play.

• 1 month later...

I am going to be section leader for the trombones/lowbrass this up and coming 2009 season. Now as most of you know low brass players are a completely different species. any tips on how to lead the low brass section and not give in to the peer pressure of acting like an idiot? is that even remotely possible? lol

I am going to be section leader for the trombones/lowbrass this up and coming 2009 season. Now as most of you know low brass players are a completely different species. any tips on how to lead the low brass section and not give in to the peer pressure of acting like an idiot? is that even remotely possible? lol

Easy. You have to win over the majority of your section. Get them to buy into what you're selling. Once that happens, acting like an idiot will become very unpopular amongst the group. Those few students will see that their attempts to act a fool will go without much attention.

Easy. You have to win over the majority of your section. Get them to buy into what you're selling. Once that happens, acting like an idiot will become very unpopular amongst the group. Those few students will see that their attempts to act a fool will go without much attention.

thanks for the advice. i suppose i have enough charisma to pull that off. I havent built a reputation of stupidity so it wont be difficult for my section to take me seriously.

yay, people who actually care about being good leaders!!!!

(here's the part where I speak about my experience and why I should be listened to, skip if you wish) I was a Section Leader for the Trumpet Section (the cockiest section, full of those who dont want to listen) for my Sophomore and Junior years, and for my Senior Year. My Sophomore year, I was up against a huge class of trumpet Seniors, all of whom did not care about anything I had to say at first. I eventually won them over and helped them excel at BOA Grand Nats. Junior year, I led the section through a high drama year (mostly from other trumpet leaders), and ended up injured, leaving me unable to march, but I became a field conductor, where the entire band began trusting me, (some liked me better than the DMs) and we ended up a State Silver Medalists. This Year I was the center Drum Major, and I had no issues with people following me, or respecting me, and I think there is enough talk on these forums about Connally's show this year to show how well we ended up.

(here's where I give advice)

There is no perfect way to lead a section, and anybody who says they have found the "one way" to lead is lying. Here are a few guidelines:

1. Never, Never, Never be the one to give out discipline, that is what directors are for, you should never make anybody run, do push-ups etc. (Just be the one to remind others about the rules, that way when you say the rules, you arent bad, they will actually perfer to listen to you, because there is no negative result unlike when a director says the rules)

2. Choose the Correct way of doing things NOW, and dont ever do anything else. (Follow the rules, practice, etc. if you dont do it the right way, how do you expect them to?)

3. Be Consistant. My band-mates respect me because I do the right thing all the time, and I am always trying to get the best of them. They have come to the understanding they will be better off listening to me, so they listen. (or they know I will nag them until they do it)

4. Be Positive All the time. This is what I struggled with. You must always be a positive realist. Approach rehearsals in a "I cant wait to get better" kind of way. Always hope for the best at the next competition, or football game, or even the next rep. (on the other hand dont be cocky, or unrealistic, dont expect to come out in first, or have a perfect show, becuase lets face it it wont happen)

5. Become a good listener. Care about your fellow section mates, learn what makes them tick, take the time to get to know them, it makes you feel much more connected to others.

6. Reward them for doing well. (they tend to repeat good behavior if there is a reward at the end of it)

7. The entire band is your section. (this goes with consistancy) dont treat anybody differently than you would your own instrument, otherwise your section will not like you because you begin to look like you are picking on them.

8. Dont break traditions (unless they are counter-productive) it just doesnt end well.

9. Dont give up if its not working, just try a different way, the moment you give is when you become a bad leader.

10. THE MOST IMPORTENT THING: you are a regular member of the band, if you act high and mighty you are screwed, treat yourself as an average joe, and people will like you better.

Yeah, sry for the long post but after spending 3/4 years in high school as a leader there is a lot of info to be shared, PM me or email me if you have any questions. Good Luck with Auditions, and your season!

yay, people who actually care about being good leaders!!!!

(here's the part where I speak about my experience and why I should be listened to, skip if you wish) I was a Section Leader for the Trumpet Section (the cockiest section, full of those who dont want to listen) for my Sophomore and Junior years, and for my Senior Year. My Sophomore year, I was up against a huge class of trumpet Seniors, all of whom did not care about anything I had to say at first. I eventually won them over and helped them excel at BOA Grand Nats. Junior year, I led the section through a high drama year (mostly from other trumpet leaders), and ended up injured, leaving me unable to march, but I became a field conductor, where the entire band began trusting me, (some liked me better than the DMs) and we ended up a State Silver Medalists. This Year I was the center Drum Major, and I had no issues with people following me, or respecting me, and I think there is enough talk on these forums about Connally's show this year to show how well we ended up.

(here's where I give advice)

There is no perfect way to lead a section, and anybody who says they have found the "one way" to lead is lying. Here are a few guidelines:

1. Never, Never, Never be the one to give out discipline, that is what directors are for, you should never make anybody run, do push-ups etc. (Just be the one to remind others about the rules, that way when you say the rules, you arent bad, they will actually perfer to listen to you, because there is no negative result unlike when a director says the rules)

2. Choose the Correct way of doing things NOW, and dont ever do anything else. (Follow the rules, practice, etc. if you dont do it the right way, how do you expect them to?)

3. Be Consistant. My band-mates respect me because I do the right thing all the time, and I am always trying to get the best of them. They have come to the understanding they will be better off listening to me, so they listen. (or they know I will nag them until they do it)

4. Be Positive All the time. This is what I struggled with. You must always be a positive realist. Approach rehearsals in a "I cant wait to get better" kind of way. Always hope for the best at the next competition, or football game, or even the next rep. (on the other hand dont be cocky, or unrealistic, dont expect to come out in first, or have a perfect show, becuase lets face it it wont happen)

5. Become a good listener. Care about your fellow section mates, learn what makes them tick, take the time to get to know them, it makes you feel much more connected to others.

6. Reward them for doing well. (they tend to repeat good behavior if there is a reward at the end of it)

7. The entire band is your section. (this goes with consistancy) dont treat anybody differently than you would your own instrument, otherwise your section will not like you because you begin to look like you are picking on them.

8. Dont break traditions (unless they are counter-productive) it just doesnt end well.

9. Dont give up if its not working, just try a different way, the moment you give is when you become a bad leader.

10. THE MOST IMPORTENT THING: you are a regular member of the band, if you act high and mighty you are screwed, treat yourself as an average joe, and people will like you better.

Yeah, sry for the long post but after spending 3/4 years in high school as a leader there is a lot of info to be shared, PM me or email me if you have any questions. Good Luck with Auditions, and your season!

Best advice I've seen thus far.

• 2 weeks later...