Whitesboro

William B. Travis

Winston Churchill

Edited by LHS'NET10

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really excited for this contest. It'll give a good read for how state is going to turn out.

Not exactly. Keep in mind that BOA and UIL are judge differently. Let's take a look at 2006 for a minute. Out of the 12 Finalists at the 2006 Super Regional, only four of them ended up making State Finals (L.D. Bell, Marcus, Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan). Two programs who didn't make Super Regional Finals went on to make State Finals (Akins, James Bowie).

Different judging systems means anything can happen. With that in mind, consistent performances are crucial to achieving Finalist status in both realms.

Aledo

Berkner

Cedar Park

Clear Brook

Colleyville Heritage

Friendswood

Georgetown

Haltom

Hebron

James Bowie

Judson

Keller

L.D. Bell

Langham Creek

Leander

Lopez

Loveland

Marcus

Martin

Richland

Ronald Reagan

Stephen F. Austin

The Woodlands College Park

Westlake

Winston Churchill

If I'm not mistaken, this is a list of bands that have made a BOA Finals in the last two years. I think I got it right. It's about as stacked as I've ever seen it.

Also nice to see our friends from Loveland, Colorado making the drive down here again.

Aledo

Berkner

Cedar Park

Clear Brook

Colleyville Heritage

Friendswood

Georgetown

Haltom

Hebron

James Bowie

Judson

Keller

L.D. Bell

Langham Creek

Leander

Lopez

Loveland

Marcus

Martin

Richland

Ronald Reagan

Stephen F. Austin

The Woodlands College Park

Westlake

Winston Churchill

If I'm not mistaken, this is a list of bands that have made a BOA Finals in the last two years. I think I got it right. It's about as stacked as I've ever seen it.

Also nice to see our friends from Loveland, Colorado making the drive down here again.

These bands on your list have never made finals at a BOA Regional for the years you mentioned:

Friendswood

Keller

Lopez

Georgetown (in fact, Georgetown's never made it...but then they've only been competing in the circuit since 2005)

Also add Spring, Cypress Falls and Pearland to the list...they all made it either in '06 or '07.

Cool, thanks for the look-over. I think I got Keller mixed up with Klein, and I could've sworn Friendswood made one... but I must be mistaken. I'm not really sure why I put Lopez and Georgetown on the list. I knew they haven't made a BOA final yet.

Are Spring, Cypress Falls, and Pearland attending the regional? If so, it makes this regional even more stacked. Lots of bands with knockout potential. I dare not make predictions until later in the season.

i never understood why a band from the northern half of colorado would come all the way down here for Super Regional, if SA is really the closest super regional to loveland colorado then there is something wrong, i would think one in illinois would be closer. unless they want to compete with the sweet tx bands, which i can see why. but dear god that is a lonnnnnnnng bus ride or an expensive flight.

By Illinois you meant Indiana right? Actually the San Antonio Regional is 150 miles closer than the Indianapolis Regional or Grand Nationals. There's a Regional in California this year but it's not a good enough Regional to warrant going cross country for. Loveland actually has a rare history of attending multiple Regionals all over the country including San Antonio in 2003 (AA champions), Grand Nationals in 2004 (semi-finalist: 24th place), San Antonio again in 2006 (again....AA champions), and the Flagstaff Arizona BOA Regional in 2007 (5th place overall). I don't get why they choose to go here when they could just go to Grand Nationals, maybe since the contest is a shorter length of time it's less costly since they don't need to stay in San Antonio as many nights as they would in Indianapolis. Or maybe they know they have a better shot at performing in finals and getting to go up in front of that huge San Antonio crowd when they perform here. I dunno....but it's an awesome deal.

EDIT: Oh wow....I was looking at the California Regional and we actually have 2 Texas bands competing in that Regional; Socoro HS and Americas HS. I feel like Xenon or someone mentioned this before but I can't remember which thread it was if he did.

Edited by takigan

By Illinois you meant Indiana right? Actually the San Antonio Regional is 150 miles closer than the Indianapolis Regional or Grand Nationals.

yeah i had no idea where the other regionals were so i kind of guess illinois because they are the state of the two greatest drum corps in the world so it would make sense to put a regional there but whatever. and im kind of curious, did you actually go on mapsquest or google earth and figure out how much closer the indianapolis regional was to loveland than the SA regional was, because if you did, that would be epic

Edited by !{dRuMlInE}!

yeah i had no idea where the other regionals were so i kind of guess illinois because they are the state of the two greatest drum corps in the world so it would make sense to put a regional there but whatever.

Believe it or not, BOA is not as popular in the Western United States as it is in other parts of the country. Many programs out west haven't really bought into the BOA philosophy. With that in mind, BOA won't throw a Regional out there because there simply isn't a demand for it. However, I'm glad the Las Vegas Regional is starting to attract some good numbers.

Food for thought. The nearest Regional to Loveland, Colorado is the Las Vegas Regional. 799 miles. Yeesh.

While we are on the subject of Loveland, I just want to mention again how awesome their 2006 show was at BOA SA. It was extremely emotional and had one of the best drumlines I've ever heard.

Agreed. They had a great percussion performance and their directors were very cordial when we were sitting next to them.

yeah i had no idea where the other regionals were so i kind of guess illinois because they are the state of the two greatest drum corps in the world so it would make sense to put a regional there but whatever. and im kind of curious, did you actually go on mapsquest or google earth and figure out how much closer the indianapolis regional was to loveland than the SA regional was, because if you did, that would be epic

The Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment have nothing to do with marching band. Yeah, they are from Illinois, but those corps draw talent from all over the country. The Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment have tons of Texans in their organizations.

There just isn't a demand for BOA in Illinois by high school marching bands. Outside of Marian Catholic, Lake Park, Prospect, and the Lincoln Way schools...Illinois isn't really a "big" band state when compared to Texas or Indiana. Also, Indiana and Missouri are right next door. The Illinois schools aren't really missing out with the BOA St. Louis Super Regional, BOA Indianapolis Regional and BOA Grand Nationals..

did you actually go on mapsquest or google earth and figure out how much closer the indianapolis regional was to loveland than the SA regional was, because if you did, that would be epic

Yup.....I was a little curious I'll admit. Some of us are nerdy like that. You want to see how curious and nerdy some people can be?....check out some of the stuff people on this site have done:

http://www.txbands.com/forums/index.php?ac...=post&id=10

Someone basically took the predictions for BOA San Antonio last year and arranged them into a spreadsheet based on how the Txbands community thought they would place...either someone really knew how to use Excel, or was really bored because that had to have taken FOREVER.

I was also trying to find one post by.....I think either Mr. Sanchez or Mr. Bui where they took a U.S. map and put a little BOA icon in every spot on the map where a BOA regional would be held for the upcoming year and posted it on the forum. Pretty nifty little map, that it was.