Plano East Marching Invitational

• 2 weeks later...
Any word on who's going? All I know thus far are Marcus and Poteet. I imagine most of the perennial competitors like Wylie, Allen and Sherman will attend. Perhaps Keller will return to defend their title?

I am sure Berkner, Rowlett, Mesquite, North Mesquite and some of the McKinney schools will show up.

• 3 weeks later...

Schedule!!

10:45 Leonard

11:00 Pottsboro

11:15 Whitewright

11:30 Tom Bean

11:45 Commerce

12:00 Mineola

12:15 Lamar

12:30 Princeton

12:45 BREAK

1:15 Sachse

1:30 Garland

1:45 Lake Highlands

2:00 McKinney

2:15 Wylie

2:30 Naaman Forest

2:45 BREAK

3:00 Rockwall Heath

3:15 Sherman

3:30 McKinney Boyd

3:45 Mesquite

4:00 Marcus

4:15 Poteet

4:30 Keller

This could potentially be a very interesting contest. I do not envy my alma mater's position.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really considering driving up to Plano this weekend so I can support the alma mater and see Marcus at the same time. It will be really interesting to see how all of this shakes out. I will be totally shocked if Marcus doesn't walk away with this, but after that things get a little fuzzy. Here's what I'm kind of thinking:

1. Marcus

2-6: (alpha order)

Keller

Lake Highlands

Poteet

Sachse

Wylie

7-10: (alpha order)

McKinney Boyd

Naaman Forest

Rockwall Heath

Sherman

With Mesquite as a possible spoiler to the last four. I could see Poteet and Keller rounding out the top three in prelims because of performance time, but that 2-6 group is probably going to be really close and could shuffle around a lot from prelims to finals.

I'm pretty sure Marcus is going to pulverize both Poteet and Sherman, and I think our little group of 4A enthusiasts are a little.....well how do I say "delusional" without sounding condescending?

Our perennial champion who topped the nation's gold medalist in the previous age is on the move....and now who is left to stand against him?

Well the last time Poteet went up against the reigning 5A state champ at this contest, they wound up winning (over Duncanville in 2004.) This contest format has historically favored them for some reason. But yeah, not likely to happen this time.

Edited by Donezo

Well the last time Poteet went up against the reigning 5A state champ at this contest, they wound up winning (over Duncanville in 2004.) This contest format has historically favored them for some reason. But yeah, not likely to happen this time.

The weight of the percussion caption scores has favored bands like Poteet. When you look at the recaps from the PESH contest you will find that, more than once, the band with a majority of 1st place scores does not actually "win" the contest. But with their percussion scores, Marcus should win going away.

The weight of the percussion caption scores has favored bands like Poteet. When you look at the recaps from the PESH contest you will find that, more than once, the band with a majority of 1st place scores does not actually "win" the contest. But with their percussion scores, Marcus should win going away.

Exactly. At the '04 contest, the percussion and guard judges nailed Duncanville pretty hard. Just one first place vote in marching pushed Poteet up over the top as a result.

Prelims Results:

2A:

Winds - Tom Bean

Percussion - Tom Bean

Marching - Tom Bean

General Effect - Whitewright

Guard - Tom Bean

Drum Major - Whitewright

1. Tom Bean

2. Whitewright

3. Pottsboro

3A:

Winds - Princeton

Percussion - Princeton

Marching - Princeton

General Effect - Princeton

Guard - Princeton

Drum Major - Commerce

1. Princeton

2. Lovejoy

3. Commerce

4A:

Winds - Poteet

Percussion - Poteet

Marching - Poteet

General Effect - Poteet

Guard - Poteet

Drum Major - Poteet

1. Poteet

2. McKinney

3. Sherman

5A:

Winds - Marcus

Percussion - Marcus

Marching - Marcus

General Effect - Marcus

Guard - Marcus

Drum Major - Marcus

1. Marcus

2. Keller

3. Sachse

Finalists (Performance Order):

Naaman Forest

Sherman

McKinney

McKinney Boyd

Wylie

Lake Highlands

Sachse

Keller

Poteet

Marcus

It's done by rank points I believe. I should know something fairly soon. A Marcus sweep would not surprise me.

It is done by weighted rank points.

Each judge's scores are ranked, then that rank is multiplied by the percentage weight of that caption.

For example, Music is 50% weighted, so the Music judge's rank is multiplied by 0.5 to get the weighted rank point.

Then all weighted rank points are added together and the lowest total weighted rank points wins.

Yay Recaps!!

Key:

Music Music Percussion Marching Marching GE Guard

Prelims:

Marcus 1 1 1 2 1 1 1

Poteet 5 2 3 1 3 4 2

Keller 4 4 2 5 2 2 4

Sachse 2 3 4 6 5 3 8

Lake Highlands 3 8 7 7 4 7 5

Wylie 6 7 5 4 6 5 3

McKinney Boyd 10 6 11 3 11 6 14

McKinney 7 11 9 8 9 11 7

Sherman 9 5 6 14 13 8 12

Naaman Forest 8 13 12 11 7 10 10

Garland 11 9 13 13 8 12 9

Mesquite 13 10 8 9 10 14 15

Princeton 12 12 10 10 12 9 6

Lovejoy 16 14 15 12 14 13 11

Commerce 14 15 14 16 16 18 13

Tom Bean 17 16 17 15 15 16 16

Pottsboro 15 18 18 19 19 17 17

Whitewright 19 17 19 18 17 15 19

Mineola 18 19 16 17 18 19 18

Finals:

Marcus 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Poteet 2 2 3 4 2 3 2

Keller 3 4 2 2 3 4 6

Sachse 4 6 4 3 4 2 4

Lake Highlands 6 3 5 5 5 6 5

McKinney Boyd 5 5 9 7 8 7 8

Wylie 8 7 6 6 6 5 3

McKinney 6 8 8 8 7 8 7

Sherman 9 9 7 10 10 9 10

Naaman Forest 10 10 10 9 9 10 9

^ that gets me on how much i hate area scoring. i mean one judge could be scoring really high and if u happen to be in 10th in his group then u are kinda sunk

Well a high scoring judge isn't as bad as a judge who's using a very broad spread of point value scores.....being at the bottom of his spectrum really blows because even if every other judge has you down as the winner, it doesn't matter because you still lost to the first place band by 40 points in one judge's eyes and therefore are last place.