2008 BOA Regional & Grand Nationals

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say guaranteed, anything can help for example Brazoswood 07 (BOA Houston) Cedar Park 05 (BOA San Antonio) and Hebron 07 (BOA Arlington)

I would agree...but there are some groups you can guarantee will be in Finals. Like, you know with 99.9999.... % certainty that Bell is going to make Finals at whatever comp. they're at. Same with Marcus right now. Same with the Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Cadets, and Phantom at DCI Championships.

Yes, at the 2006 St. Louis Super Regional, you beat them. You were 16th. They were 17th. Last year, Lafayette placed 6th at the BOA Houston Regional. Our boys in the stands were very impressed with them and I trust their judgement. I have no problem calling them a lock for Finals again. This is Lafayette H.S. from Louisiana.

LOL.

Brandt.

It was NOT one of our worst performances.

UTA was. By Far. That and the Mansfield Vs. Creekview game where we had massive injuries and mauling by props.

The problem with that performance is that they did not have hashes for us Texaners. We were the only Texas band competing in that Regional, so I guess they found no reason to add the hashes. I remember being pissed when Broken Arrow brought out hashes as "props". I sat there thinking... WHAT THE CRAP?!

But for not having the hashes, it was a pretty awesome performance. More musically than visually, yes.

Wait so people in other states don't use hashes?

There are 3 different kinds of hashes.

- Highschool: Splits the field into 3rds. (This is what most HS's outside of Texas use)

- College: This is what HS's in Texas use.

- Professional: When you march at Texas Stadium or other proffessional stadiums.

If you march at a professional or highschool stadium outside of Texas, they may not have the College hashes marked. If this is the case and you are trying to use them to guide, you will be in trouble.

Wait so people in other states don't use hashes?

Other States use hashes. Sanchez just explained it above. I just watched the Mansfield performance at the 2006 St. Louis Super Regional online and I couldn't really see any hash marks on the field. If that's the case, then everyone must have been in that boat.

I went through a similar situation at Grand Nationals in 1999. We had alternates throw down yellow-tape hash marks before we went on because the RCA Dome did not have the hash marks we used. BOA had no problem with this, as long as we made sure that we didn't leave a mess on the field.

This reminds me of a situation a few years back at Grand Nationals. A bunch of kids from a certain program hopped on the BOA Board and started complaining that the hash marks they used weren't very visible on the field. There was a lot of talk on the contrary, as many spectators were able to see the hash marks easily. They claimed that this was the sole reason that they weren't in Finals. As far as I know, BOA/MFA provides the directors information on which hash marks will be on the field. However, if the hash marks at a BOA contest aren't the ones you use or if you have any hunch that this might be a problem, it is the program's responsibility to take care of it. As I recall, several people from this program made themselves look ridiculous and we all had a great laugh about it.

okay so im interested on your band and whether or not ya'll participate in BOA contests.

I mean I don't mean to put them down or anything, but at my school we've always not really taken them seriously.

You know directors always making jokes and stuff.

I don't know much about these contests I just know a lot of the bands are very "propish"

using lots of props and dancing and such.

I mean it's entertaining and all but what happened to traditional marching band ???

and I know not every BOA band is like that and the top ones probably aren't.

and I may be horribly misguided about BOA.

But anyways back to my question,

DOES YOUR BAND DO BOA??

I don't know much about these contests I just know a lot of the bands are very "propish"

using lots of props and dancing and such.

I mean it's entertaining and all but what happened to traditional marching band ???

and I know not every BOA band is like that and the top ones probably aren't.

and I may be horribly misguided about BOA.

I would say that your view on the BOA "program" is a little off. There is plenty of music and movement to keep even the most discriminating tastes happy. I've heard the "They Only Won Because They Had Props" argument before and it makes my stomach turn each time. Not every program uses props. The well-known programs that do have props in their show utilize them effectively, even if it is as simple as a black barrier on the sideline to hide the guard equipment.

The truth of the matter is that you must play and move well in order to be successful at a BOA competition.

The props are just to add a little spice to the show not to win. PLENTY of shows with props won't make finals because their playing or marching isn't up to par, plenty of shoes without props will make finals because they have what it takes.

yeah i understand that.

I'm just stating the majority of BOA bands have props and seem to go for more of a entertaining factor than anything.

But anyways I didn't really want to get into that, I was just interested in other bands that don't do BOA, like us.

lol

haha

I definitely don't mind NOT being a BOA band myself.

I actually am kind of proud we havn't got sucked to it yet and stuck to our traditional marching band roots :]

If you think about it, there's really no such thing as a "BOA" band. In 5A, everyone pretty much competes in UIL and BOA at some point. Having said that, there are very few bands in the State who can be successful in both marching philosophies. Yes, one show can satisfy both BOA and UIL judges. It's not impossible. The line between UIL band and BOA band is blurring because the same programs, year and year, continue to be satisfy both philosophies very well.

Like I've said before, you still have to play well and march well in order to be successful, no matter what the judging system is.

Heh......HEB :).

The first time I saw the words "HEB Marching Contest" the first thought that popped into my head was; "Oh.....so HEB Grocery is doing some kind of corporate music initiative/ sponsorship thingy and they're doing a marching competition....that's interesting", then I looked into it a bit and noticed it stood for Hurst-Euless-Bedford and was like "Oh.....Suberb ISDs.....that would make more sense -_- ".

Yeah, don't mind me, I'm slow >_> ....

Heh......HEB :).

The first time I saw the words "HEB Marching Contest" the first thought that popped into my head was; "Oh.....so HEB Grocery is doing some kind of corporate music initiative/ sponsorship thingy and they're doing a marching competition....that's interesting", then I looked into it a bit and noticed it stood for Hurst-Euless-Bedford and was like "Oh.....Suberb ISDs.....that would make more sense -_- ".

Yeah, don't mind me, I'm slow >_> ....

hahahaha

the same thing always pops into my head when i hear HEB.

esspecially when our director announced it im like WTF ghetto grocery store contest??