Cadets 2008

dmbalash

Regarding the rule proposals:

General Effect Double Panel: For

I can find no fault with this rule. It just sounds smart to me.

Age Requirements for 2009 implementation: Torn.

This is one of the rules under big discussion on DCP. While it sounds great that kids will get one more year to march corps, people do provide the argument that the summer special kids are then going to be 23 and is it still that youth related with 23-year-olds? I see both sides.

Use of Water and other water based products: Against

I'm all for innovation and creativity, but within the rules that were allotted. It might sound restricting, but the whole reason I was attracted to drum corps was because of the precision and the ability and the lack of elements so prominent in marching band. Feel free to bring the torches and pitchforks if you disagree (wait, that's DCP), but it's just my deal.

Additional time for shows: For

More time to make a production? I'm in.

Amplification for Brass: For

Again, I can go either way. Interesting voicing and staging? Sure, that's a plus. But I mean, if you've got a soloist, why not just stage them up front?

Use of Electronics: Conditional

Electronic amplification of voice is in, and so it goes. But mallet kits, keyboards, everything else? I didn't go march in drum corps because I wanted to put on a rehash of successful BOA shows. I enjoyed the creativity and innovation percussion writers would use in order to create the sounds they needed to have for their shows while still being within the rules.

Eliminate Percussion 2 judge: For

Sound Board controlled by corps members only: I don't have enough knowledge to really have a say on it

Prohibit use of amplified voice, breathing, effects, and etc: Against

Ban all use of amplification: Against

Just my two cents.

i cant resist i love critiquing the system so here it is

General Effect Double Panel: For

quite honestly this is quite fair, it prevents that "oh, we got beaten by THE judge"

Age Requirements for 2009 implementation: I'm not too sure how i feel but as far as 23 being too old, 23 isn't too diffrent than 22 (although i personly havent experienced it)

Use of Water and other water based products: Not in my life time

any chance of of the field being altered for the next corp is out of the question

Additional time for shows: Meh

Its nice but it really depends on how much... beware the overkill

Amplification for Brass: May I quote actualgirltrombone

BRASS NEEDS NO AMPLIFICATION. THATS WHY WE'RE M-F-ING BRASS PLAYERS.

Use of Electronics: Against

it just takes out all the challenge, people just need to be creative

Eliminate Percussion 2 judge: as a brass player i'll leave this to the percussionist

Sound Board controlled by corps members only: Against

forcing someone to stand there and deal with the stupid thing is cruel, but heck if they voluenteer why not.

Prohibit use of amplified voice, breathing, effects, and etc: i'd accept it only for breathing just because thats pretty dang hard to recreate.

Ban all use of amplification: sure i really don't care to allow something like breathing amp. but otherwise i don't care for it

So you're saying that adding electronics would make drum corps easier? What challenge is it taking out?

That's what I was thinking.

If anything, electronics makes it even more challenging. I'm talking about a synthesizer that's actually being played by someone rather than sound effects. Playing a synthesizer (which plays like a piano) takes as much talent as playing any other instrument. I recommend watching any of Ronald Reagan's shows from 2001-2004.

i don't think i'm being clear enough... I dont mind syntesisers as in keyboards that a person plays in the pit, its artifical sounds and prerecorded music that i disagree with. All of which fall under electronics. I actually think that synths can be increadible, my freshman year we had a synth semi-solo where it took the place of bells/chimes, or something.

All this to say the rule needs to be more specific.

i don't think i'm being clear enough... I dont mind syntesisers as in keyboards that a person plays in the pit, its artifical sounds and prerecorded music that i disagree with. All of which fall under electronics. I actually think that synths can be increadible, my freshman year we had a synth semi-solo where it took the place of bells/chimes, or something.

All this to say the rule needs to be more specific.

Where have you heard pre-recorded music before? Because pre-recorded music is banned in BOA, UIL, USSBA, and pretty much every other marching circuit. If electronics is passed, I'm sure DCI will do the same and ban it. Now, sound effects that are recorded are fine because it's not music.

Where have you heard pre-recorded music before? Because pre-recorded music is banned in BOA, UIL, USSBA, and pretty much every other marching circuit. If electronics is passed, I'm sure DCI will do the same and ban it. Now, sound effects that are recorded are fine because it's not music.

How'd Westfield get to do the opening for "One," then? Or does music while coming on the field not fall under the rule? Or was someone actually rocking out on synth and I just missed it?

Personally, I like DCI not being BOA.

BOA is entertaining. But, If I wanted to see this kind of stuff I would goto BOA Grand Nationals, not the DCI World Championship.

So,

Yes to the changing of the age out year.

No to water/SFX

No to "Electronics"

I can already imagine it...

The 2010 Cadets Present: "Guitar Hero"

feat. "Free Bird"

"Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine

and "Possum Kingdom" by Toadies

Edited by WestCoastCorpsFan

How'd Westfield get to do the opening for "One," then? Or does music while coming on the field not fall under the rule? Or was someone actually rocking out on synth and I just missed it?

The pre-recorded music in Westfield's show this past year happened during the "set up/warm up" time and not the actual judged portion of the show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...