Cadets 2008

dmbalash

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?JServSession...ws_iv_ctrl=1021

The Cadets have released details to their 2008 program that will take fans on an amazing, beautiful and powerful journey into the pursuit of happiness.

In separate presentations last weekend to members, donor and friends, Cadets Director and Program Coordinator George Hopkins and Eric Kitchenman, Staff Coordinator and Assistant Program Coordinator, presented a working title, concept and music selections for the corps

hence the grin. im angry but also pretty darned excited.

also, at least they arent using any of the same music. but if it ends in a smilie face, i'll either jump up and down screaming for joy or in murderous rage; havent quite decided yet.

Come onnnnnn murderous rage...

Unfortunately, we might have another disgruntled audience situation on our hands.

True, I wonder though, how it would effect their future if they carried on the voice over theme. It seems like they're losing support (for the voice over) pretty fast... at least around here. Any chance that this might cause a down period as far as new members and such?

Any chance that this might cause a down period as far as new members and such?

That's a valid question. Prospective members may be turned off by last year's show. However, The Cadets have one of the richest and deepest traditions in drum corps. Former alumni raise their children as drummers and brass players in hopes that one day, they would be granted the opportunity to put on The Cadets uniform. They will probably never run short of new members. Well, unless that Water Rule goes through for 2009 =)

Ha, Cedar Park much? Well, we all know the music will be great, the marching will be great. Too bad we won't hear the music because of people talking. Atleast we can look forward to a good visual show, right?

The cadets were one, if not the loudest hornlines in finals. I hate when people crack that joke...

and as far as the water rule goes, dci.org/rules

sorry, but im not all that up todate with the politics in drum corps... water rule?

The water rule was enacted after the 2004 season. Magic of Orlando had a "Pirates of the Caribbean" show that season, and part of the visual was to take gallon sized buckets of water (pretend rum) and just slosh it all over the place: the judges, the field, each other. After that season, Jeff Fiedler of the Cavaliers proposed a rule that would protect against just that. And now George Hopkins of the Cadets wants to repeal said rule.

I'm sorry, was that a rule for BRASS AMPLIFICATION THAT I JUST SAW?

BRASS NEEDS NO AMPLIFICATION. THATS WHY WE'RE M-F-ING BRASS PLAYERS.

ohh george hopkins, you better be on the lookout in san antonio...

It's just a proposal for a rule. It hasn't been passed yet. It still has to pass the caption heads' caucus meeting as well as the Director's caucus before it can even be voted on.

Some amplification would be acceptable, but that's what staging is for. If you have a soloist, put him front field and just have him go at it.

Regarding the rule proposals:

General Effect Double Panel: For

Honestly, I would love to see a double judging panel at DCI Regionals and World Championships.

Age Requirements for 2009 implementation: For

Use of Water and other water based products: For

I'm all for creativity in drum corps. As long as it's in a tasteful manner and does not create problems for the marching surface.

Additional time for shows: For

Amplification for Brass: For

Amplifying brass instruments adds another layer of color to the music. Just think about Lassiter 2002 and Westfield 2003 with the amped french horns and the trumpet soloist in L.D. Bell 2006 that was amped with the vocoder. UNIQUE sounds.

Use of Electronics: For

Again, I'm all for creativity and innovation in drum corps. Adding the use of synthesizer, mallet kats, electronic drum pads, and etc adds another of color to the music.

Eliminate Percussion 2 judge: For

Sound Board controlled by corps members only: For

--------

Prohibit use of amplified voice, breathing, effects, and etc: Against

Ban all use of amplification: Against

Why limit and put a cap on the activity? I know there's a difference between marching band and drum corps. But in my opinion, you're not a marching band until you're marching woodwinds. Adding electronics does not make you a marching band. I'm all about pushing the envelope and stepping outside the box. Most of the shows in drum corps as of late have lost me on an emotional level. That's why I love marching band more because you get to see ALL types of shows and be connected in different ways on an emotional level. Wes Cartwright said it best on the BOA Podcast several weeks ago. http://www.musicforall.org/multimedia/podc...reakranks15.mp3