Favorite Shows of 2007

I'll agree with that only if you don't count this year in it. lol. Sure, Ascension was amazing, but this years music just worked better overall. I mean, The Engulfed Cathedral as an opener? That's just risky beyond all doubt. And they pulled it off perfectly.

I thought Bell cut "The Engulfed Cathedral." Didn't they open with Pan's Labyrinth at GN? My favorite part of Bell '07 is the snippet of "Blue Cathedral" at the end of the opener. Nice nod to the '04 show.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a little out of the loop this year when it comes to non Texas bands, so pretty much all my favs are from Tx...

Coppell - Nothing like having Gershwin blasted in your face.

Newman Smith - I've really enjoyed watching this band the past few years, and I'm always surprised that they don't finish higher. This years show was my favorite from the past years. As I said in another post, loved the trumpet solos.

Richland - I have no idea why people had them on the bubble for making finals at GN. I had them as a lock ever since Arlington. Halo sounds pretty darn good on the marching field.

LD Bell - Not a lot to say that hasn't already been said. Great way to end the trilogy. It's amazing how much the program has matured and improved even within the past 3-4 years. I could never have imagined marching in a show like 2007 when I was there.

Hebron - Has to been one of the most entertaining groups out there. Every time I see them perform I can't help but feel like those kids are having an absolute blast out there on the field.

The Woodlands - I enjoy The Woodlands because they always seem to have the complete package. Great great music, and awesome marching. This year was one of the most difficult shows I've seen, and they made it look easy.

Ayala - They never seem to get a tremendous amount of hype probably because they aren't from Texas or the Midwest. I'm not the biggest fan of percussion, but that marimba player is amazing.

I have more, but they can wait.

2am work shifts are taking their toll...

Edited by GuitarJoe

I thought Bell cut "The Engulfed Cathedral." Didn't they open with Pan's Labyrinth at GN? My favorite part of Bell '07 is the snippet of "Blue Cathedral" at the end of the opener. Nice nod to the '04 show.

I liked that part too, but I feel it was just kind of randomly thrown in...it just didn't seem to go smoothly into the music, especially with what was being played before (Pan's Labyrinth if I remember correctly?).

Richland - I have no idea why people had them on the bubble for making finals at GN. I had them as a lock ever since Arlington. Halo sounds pretty darn good on the marching field.

we were 21st or 22nd after prelims with an 83... haha we had the worst performance imaginable... a snare falling off the carrier, half the band using the wrong hash, the wrong narration, props left on the field, etc... so we were pretty much on the bubble there on out

lol sweet Ayala !

Just looked at that link, and since im a marimba player, i love the marimba in their show !

it was basicallly a marching marimba lol.

but, of course, i'd have to say LD Bell had the best show. I got to see their show at BOA SA, and it was chilling. I've heard about the new ending and I can't wait to see the video. After watching Pan's Labryinth for the first time last week, I loved Bell's show even more. They truly deserve the title of grand national champs :]

Yay! I'm glad L.D. Bell is inspiring the TxBands community to check out Pan's Labyrinth. I saw it last winter in its theatrical release and I was absolutely floored by how great it was. It's probably my favorite film of the 21st century so far.

Marcus probably put on my 2nd favorite show (after Bell.) Cute, but not excessively so. Their rendition of "Make Our Garden Grow" gave me chills.

My favorite shows:

LD Bell. Some say they like The Remaining better, some say they like Transendence better.

It's really hard to compare. The Remaining was soo dark and Trans was so bright. Musically they were both amazing.

Sachse.

I really enjoyed this show by the end of the season. I wasn't too sure about it earlier on, but by DMI, they sounded awesome.

The Woodlands.

This show was so entertaining. Definitely an original concept.

My mom, who isn't much of a music junkie said The Woodlands was her favorite. So that has to count for something.

Mansfield.

The music was definitely catchy. I loved the saxophone quintet.

Underated for sure.

Marcus.

Yeah, at first I hated to admit that I liked this show. When I first saw it, I was turned off by how easy the drill was.

I like to look at everything.. and while the music was great, the easy drill turned me off from this show. However. After seeing them live again in SA, I was astounded at how awesome this show was. The music was breathtaking. Good show.

I think out of all bands, Marcus is one of the few that has really jumped the ranks the past few years. I hadn't even heard of them until '05.

(in order)

1. LD Bell: New ending was such a subtle but effective touch....I liked the '05 version of Lux better and didn't much care for the solo, but it still is an incredible show that deserved the championship.

2. Cypress Falls: This show I thought was creepier than Bell's show.....it was scary as heck. They had electronics out the wazoo and I always love electronics ^_^.....entertaining show.

3. Ronald Reagan: Really dark impressive brass. I was greatly entertained by just the musical aspect of this show.

4. Marcus: Good clean music, this was just a really well put together show......awesome soloists and gotta love the ladybug (that must have been a blast to run around in--knocking over judges and stuff :P )

5. Mansfield Legacy: Nobuo Uematsu's music.....can never get enough of it ;) .

6. Broken Arrow (OK): This show's ending is enough to warrant putting this up here....bizarre. For some reason I'm thinking it might have been Marion Catholic (IL) but I'm pretty sure it was BA.....I just remember being impressed by the finale.

7. Tarpon Springs (FL): Classy 'fencing' theme....awesome music.....very well put together show.....it would have done very well at Nats had they gone.

8. The Woodlands: The Sudoku theme could have been better utilized I thought, but I really enjoyed the music, I loved the preshow with their 1234 1234 chant.....good stuff :)

In order:

#1 MARCUS. Ultimate quality of performance and design. I laugh out loud reading

the easy drill comments. You guys are forgiving multiple groups that are standing still AND not

playing the majority of the show. Watch your video tapes when they come out,

and you'll see why jumping on the easy drill bandwagon for Marcus is so misguided, even by one

or two of the people that post regularly on this site. Just because they are clean, or

just because their show concept can be appreciated by all age levels doesn't

mean its easy. Also, when you play harder than crap music the whole show,

doesn't that make the drill ten times as difficult? There are no smoke or mirrors for these guys.

I didn't graduate from this school, but if I could go back, I would go here, due to the challenge of the

music AND drill. Their props are just for entertainment and do not substitute for outstanding

playing and marching. Please go to GN.

#2THE WOODLANDS. Very complex show design, great guard, very strong playing skills.

This show also had lots of substance throughout. They seem to clean up late which keeps

people giving them less credit after seeing them early. Again, substance prevails for this group.

Their props are also just for entertainment and do not substitute for outstanding playing and marching.

#3 RICHLAND. This year the next best playing band (to Marcus) in the state. Creative

show, emotional punch. The best section feature of the year was the Turbine trombone section.

Freaking awesome! Their props are also just for entertainment and do not substitute for

outstanding playing and marching.

#4 CHURCHILL. How could a show possibly mean more to a group of kids or to an audience?

This was the most personal performance of the year. It was great for them to decide to do this show.

The guard is always amazing and the hornline & drums play well. Their props are also just for

entertainment and do not substitute for outstanding playing and marching.

#5 LDBELL. The guard was very effective throughout the program. I liked the ending better

before GN- it was creepier and didn't last too long. The most theatrical show this year.

Favorite honorable mentions:

Cedar Park. Great playing, cool design. You guys made us give you a standing ovation!

Haltom. Crazy good clarinet playing; tie for hardest amplified solo of the year. Cool show.

Westfield. Incredible euph solo; tie for hardest amplified solo of the year. Great concept.

Bowie. You guys play with a lot of energy.

Hebron. Wave was a great show concept, and your drum major salutes were awesome.

Thanks for reading.

In order:

I laugh out loud reading the easy drill comments. You guys are forgiving multiple groups that are standing still AND not

playing the majority of the show. Watch your video tapes when they come out,

and you'll see why jumping on the easy drill bandwagon for Marcus is so misguided, even by one

or two of the people that post regularly on this site.

Wait, there's an "easy drill bandwagon for Marcus?" SIGN ME UP!!! I WANNA JOIN!!! ME ME ME!!! /end sarcasm

Yea, their drill this year wasn't nearly as difficult as other bands' drill. It was awesome, had great general effect and was incredibly clean, but a lot of the time I saw them barely moving while they marched. Sure, their incredibly difficult musical book causes the drill to be harder, but it doesn't change the fact that, ON PAPER, it's nowhere near as difficult as Westfield's or Avon's or Bell's.

That being said, their show was possibly my favorite of the year. It would've been, had LD Bell's GN Finals performance been so utterly BA. Seriously, the timing was perfect.

"And the LD Bell Blue Raider Band!" *Half time Pan's Labyrinth theme immediately* aw, too freakin' sweet.

My favorites Texas shows of the year.....

Brazoswood HS - "Rain"

Just a well thought out musical package. The intro from "The Passion of the Christ" did it for me. Very emotional.

Clear Brook HS - "RePercussion"

They played two of my favorite John Mackey pieces---Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night & Turbine.

L.D. Bell HS - "TRANSCENDents"

A musical and visual production. Everything about the show was gorgeous.

Mansfield HS - "Music of Eric Whitacre & Imogen Heap/Frou Frou" (can't remember the title for the life of me)

Any show that combines Whitacre's "Lux Aurumque" and music from Imogen Heap and Frou Frou will be one of my favorites.

Marcus HS - "Botanika"

I really enjoyed Marcus' show this year. My highlight of the program was during their ballad from Leonard Bernstein's "Make Our Garden Grow."

Richland HS - "iShow"

Great musical and visual design. Not only were the John Mackey and Karl Jenkins pieces fantastic but the color guard was as well.

Stephen F. Austin HS - "Mass: A Piece for Players and Dancers"

An emotional, classy, elegant, and beautiful show using music from Leonard Bernstein's "Mass". One of my favorites of the year.

The Woodlands HS - "Sequenza"

A well thought out show and I love how they incorporated Philip Glass' music from "Einstein on the Beach" and "The Hours" with Bernstein's "Profonation."

Westfield HS - "One"

I loved the music to the and how they used "One" concept in their music and throughout the show. I also liked the color guard uniforms where it had the word "One" written in all different languages.