Low Brass Sections

reyky

I don't know how other bands classify their low brass, but here we have just Baritones and Trombones in the low brass with Tubas as their own section. Do any of you other sections have any traditions that you all follow?

Here we constantly strive to be the best section on the field and try to be the biggest hard***es ever, haha, but we get along great with everyone.

At my school, the euphoniums/baritones, trombones and sousaphones are all the low brass and we're easily the greatest part of the band ;)

We've got chants and dances and traditions and it's pretty freakin sweet.

Do any other schools march euphoniums and baritones? At my school, the baritone is for 1st part and the euphonium is for 2nd...I think. I'm not sure, but that sounds right. Do any high schools march contra? I know a lot of corps do, but i wasn't sure if many high schools did.

Well... baritones are a lot smaller and lighter than euphoniums (I hope you know that and don't just call yourself different things), and euphoniums in general have a more mellow lower sound, like the concert instrument, whereas baritones are... well.. I hate marching baritones even though I do march with one.

Though I would throw this out there:

I have 7 tuba freshmen and 3 baritone freshmen in my section.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Hendrickson We don't march T-bones... But our BariEuphabones/ Tubas make our Low Brass

we march 22 Baritones (and Trombones) and 2 Euphs and have approx. 5 or so alts. The Euphs are normally reserved for the Bass Trombones to keep the lower sound in their ear (Sorta :rolleyes: ). The only reason we have the 2 Euphs is because the first year the school was opened (only like 5 years ago) They only had 2 or three Baritone players so we kept the euphs, and just added on random baritone brands (We have Jupiter and Yamaha).

Low brass #'s

16 Trombones

12 Baritones (I think)

11 Tubas (Somewhere around that number)

Edited by Dualitybone09

Geez. We had 6 baritones and around 10 trombones. We also have a mix of Baritone models [though next year we're slated to get new ones, good thing I graduate before then, right?], we have Yamaha's and Kings, and they're all in really, really terrible condition. It's embarrassing to be seen up close with them, haha.

My school only marches Baritones, unfortunately. I would switch to Euphonium in a heartbeat though, quite honestly.

a lot of schools lately have made their trombone players march baritone

and the euphs march well, euphs,

we should so do that

:D

wait nvm,

because some trombone players in our section that shall remain nameless

think they can play baritone, and got jenkins pissed at us during a game for switching.

we should so do that

:D

Honestly, a majority of our 'Bones really don't like having to switch to Baritone/ Euph. I know that i'd give anything to have Trombones on the field, and whenever we see Trombones on the field (like from our neighboring schools such as Connally.) We're always like "Whats it like marching Trombones?" Then its like a big story time.

Theres so many good things about Baritones... But so many bad things too...

B) Eh, You can't have it all.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

where is this school that marches contras? oh and btw hendrickson marching bones this year eh? i wish i couldve done wat yall hv been doing and thats march tones so that i would feel more confident going into auditions for this DCI season

auditioning for Crossman and Bloo for sure...

would like to audition for SCV and also Crown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
At my school, the euphoniums/baritones, trombones and sousaphones are all the low brass and we're easily the greatest part of the band ;)

We've got chants and dances and traditions and it's pretty freakin sweet.

Do any other schools march euphoniums and baritones? At my school, the baritone is for 1st part and the euphonium is for 2nd...I think. I'm not sure, but that sounds right. Do any high schools march contra? I know a lot of corps do, but i wasn't sure if many high schools did.

At Connally we're marching two euphoniums (Dynastys) and 8 baritones. All the parts are the same too.

• 1 month later...

Well at my school we have trombones serperate from the tuba/euphs(or baritones during marching season) now what my director wants to do next marching season is put the trombones on marching baritons and the actually bariton/euphonium players are going to use marching euphoniums that gets and the tubas will be marching contras also.

And on another note their are a few schools in my area that march contras the woodlands being one of them

Edited by Euphftw