Langham Creek

Northbrook

Padadena Memorial

Tomball

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so y ai just got back and it was awesome!!

the biggest disappointemnt is that cy falls didnt win!!!

their show was freaking amazing and the frenchhorns!!!!!!!!

there was like 5 and it sounded like a million!!!!

coolest show

idk langham show doesnt really excite me its bland to mee but i guess im wrong?

but ya cyfalls show definately the best one there

^ haha, okay...

langham actually had a great sound.

it doesn't really matter if it doesn't excite you or not, yeah?

and i just got back too, it was amazing :]

dude, what school are you from??

you're always saying something good about cypress falls, lol XD

Cypress Falls also got the best auxilary, percussion, and drum major award right?

Dang.

Too bad that didn't count in with their score.

We got last at finals... well... 10th

I was thinking what I was gonna say about that but all I'm really gonna say is "whatever", we did our best show and it just came down to the judges hating our show, litteraly. But one thing I did think was stupid that I'll mention was us getting last in General Effect, honestly, our whole show was a general effect.

dang, we had a bad run at Finals. tough crowd too.

we were the smallest band, excluding the 1A, and the crowd did not give us any love at all...sigh

ended up 8th though, we could have gotten higher placement if all pistons were firing and if we had the crowd support -_-

Pasadena Memorial has always looked like a DCI band to me, small in numbers, but solid and DCI like moves.

I thought ya'll did pretty awesome imo.

man, lame for duncanville!

im not sure how the math works that they got fourth, with GE only being 30%

and i will agree, that was a TOUGH crowd! they laughed more then they clapped at us, which is admittedly the point, but we're used to getting some applause at the end and that was pretty weak.

darned crowds of fellow band students! :lol::wub:

man, lame for duncanville!

im not sure how the math works that they got fourth, with GE only being 30%

The GE judges called the contest because of their extremely wide scoring ranges compared to the performance judges. There was a 2.2 point difference between 1st-5th in the Music and Marching captions, but a 5.5 point difference in GE.

This essentially more than doubled the weight of the GE judges, thus giving the contest more of a 16/16/68 weighting. These weighting issues are also the main reason that I have a mathematical preference for the ranking system. If ranks were added instead of scores, this is what we would have had:

Cedar Park 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 = 6 = 1st

Duncanville 2, 2, 2, 2, 5, 4 = 17 = 2nd

Langham 3, 3, 4, 4, 2, 2 = 18 = 3rd

Cy Falls 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3 = 20 = 4th

This falls more in line with what I felt should have been the placements (trying not to be biased, but I have to admit association) given the judging criteria of this contest.

Edit to Add: And, yes, given the judging styles in this contest, I did expect Duncanville's GE scores to be lower than some of the more conceptual shows since they just play and march and the kids didn't buy into the visuals as much as the other bands, but I'm also afraid that concepts and designs alone are being rewarded too much recently while the performance parts of GE are being thrown a little bit to the side.

Prelims Class Rankings

Class A

1. Northbrook*

2. Shepherd

3. Sharpstown

4. Manvel

5. Magnolia West

6. Tarkington

Class AA

1. Pasadena Memorial*

2. Magnolia

3. Morton Ranch

4. Pasadena

5. Conroe

6. Sam Rayburn

7. Channelview

8. Caney Creek

Class AAA

1. Cedar Park*

2. Cypress Falls*

3. Lagham Creek*

4. Duncanville*

5. Cypress Woods*

6. Tomball*

7. Cy-Fair*

8. Cypress Springs*

9. Deer Park*

10. Klein Oak

11. Dobie

12. Klein Forest

* - Denotes Finalist bands

Finals

1. 94.05 - Cedar Park HS

2. 91.65 - Langham Creek HS

3. 91.45 - Cypress Falls HS

4. 89.20 - Duncanville HS

5. 85.25 - Cypress Woods HS

6. 81.40 - Tomball HS

7. 77.50 - Cy-Fair HS

8. 76.65 - Pasadena Memorial HS

9. 75.15 - Deer Park HS

10. 74.50 - Cypress Springs HS

11. 59.95 - Northbrook HS

The GE judges called the contest because of their extremely wide scoring ranges compared to the performance judges. There was a 2.2 point difference between 1st-5th in the Music and Marching captions, but a 5.5 point difference in GE.

This essentially more than doubled the weight of the GE judges, thus giving the contest more of a 16/16/68 weighting. These weighting issues are also the main reason that I have a mathematical preference for the ranking system. If ranks were added instead of scores, this is what we would have had:

This falls more in line with what I felt should have been the placements (trying not to be biased, but I have to admit association) given the judging criteria of this contest.

Edit to Add: And, yes, given the judging styles in this contest, I did expect Duncanville's GE scores to be lower than some of the more conceptual shows since they just play and march and the kids didn't buy into the visuals as much as the other bands, but I'm also afraid that concepts and designs alone are being rewarded too much recently while the performance parts of GE are being thrown a little bit to the side.

Could you explain your last paragraph?

You raise some valid points and this contest does seem like it was very close. However, each judge awards points based on each band's performance. Why not reward the band with the highest number of points, rather than tally each judge's score based on how they scored everyone else? The ordinal system should not be used to justifiy how high or how low a band is scored.

My review (In Finals Performance Order):

Cypress Fair: "The Mystery of the Hidden City" by Satoshi Nagisawa

One thing I remember about this band, is that they were loud.....their drill was a tad shoddy and their upper body carriage could use quite a bit of work, but they had a good sound that carried. The stickler for this group was the Colorguard, I liked the color contrast in their outfits, their flag choice, their masks etc......this getup complimented their show very well in all of its chaos and elements of Asian mysticism.

Cypress Springs: "Sol a Zu"

Mad props to this band for their use of.....um.....props? :rolleyes: This band gets the award for the most original look of the evening....I mean their uniforms are pretty much tribal garb....did their district purchase the uniforms exclusively for that show or are they going to be wearing those for awhile? I don't know, but this combined with their massive tribal "rigs" as I'll call them (basically; massive towers of scrap metal that had been reworked and fitted with animal skins/furs and strung up with world drums...which played an integral part in the show) made for a very unique look....did the judges agree? I don't know that either but nevertheless it was still a very entertaining show that I know must have been a lot of fun to put on.

Tomball: "Square One"

I saw this band perform a few weeks ago at the Buccaneer Marching Festival (a contest which they won) and their show definitely improved since then. I hadn't heard much about Tomball before, but combining what I've heard from students who attend/attended that school, and the 2 performances I've seen this season, they're definitely having one of the best years they've had in awhile. Their show is centered around different mathematical concepts which utilize the term "square". Their drill uses lots of square and angular formations and their visuals highlight this concept (like "tutting" the arms to form a "square root" sign)....it took me a second viewing to understand how this all fit together but in the end I liked it.

Deer Park: "Pastime"

Apologies to any of you from Deer Park but this was the one show in finals that I just couldn't get into. The drill was lackluster, a lot of unconfident marching/misteps/out of steps etc. ....the students didn't seem as into it as the other finalist bands. The GE was well used but seemed rather cliche'. The theme is basically a baseball game. The guard was decked out in baseball uniforms. The opening lick of the star spangled banner was very well played by the Trumpet, though the Horn/Euphonium duet not long after needed less Horn and more Euphonium (could barely hear the Euph). The music's redeeming quality was in the ballad, which was very well played and very moving. From a visual perspective; same-old, except for at the very end where a group of guard in the lower left corner of the field smacked a baseball over the band to the opposite right side corner...I wonder how often they had to practice that to make it 100% effective.

Pasadena Memorial: "Clocks"

Something about this band just screams drum corps....I can't figure out what it is or what corps they remind me of, though there's definitely some stabs at the Cavaliers in there....what with the feathered hats and that rotating box at the end that seems like it was ripped straight out of "Frameworks". Out of all the bands this evening this band was the quietest....they just weren't putting out the amount of sound that you'd expect from a band this size...which though not big, wasn't exactly small here. If I were to say, I'd say that this band hasn't spent a whole lot of time polishing their show as a whole as the drill, being as dirty and unconfident as it seemed, could be part of the explanation for the lack of sound. The lack of visuals in comparison to the other bands is also indicative of a more recently completed show. Oh and one more thing....the flags have pictures of clocks on them!.....lol, sorry I just thought this was funny.

Cypress Woods: "X"

What is it with bands and giant 7 foot rainsticks? There were 2 or 3 bands tonight in finals that had at least one giant rainstick in their pit. But that aside, I was EXTREMELY impressed with this band.....in your face with loud, intense hits and fast-paced energetic drill with uniform flashes, quick turns, waves....all that jazz! I don't know how they placed but I had them right behind the big 4 (CP, Langham, Falls and Duncanville), which if that turns out to be their placement, would be a great achievement for a band that's only a couple years old. Very nicely done!

Duncanville: "Highlights from 'Flight of the Bumblebee', 'Aria', 'Festive Overture'" (there's another one I think I missed....Xenon or somebody fill me in)

8 years in the marching activity and I had never seen Duncanville live....until today, and I must say all the rumors about them are true; They're huge as heck, they're loud as heck, they're clean as heck, and they're.....conservative as heck <_ is what killed their ge score . they look like a military band marching corps style. i really don understand why this didn win best foot placement gait everything seems it has been painstakingly broken down and worked from the ground up formations were simply flawless....their drill might not have as difficult cedar park but was obviously cleaner think should won out regardless of how or flashy was....but that just my opinion.>

Cedar Park: "The Pursuit of Happiness"

I had heard from various sources that this was another off-year for Cedar Park and they weren't putting out what they're known for, but considering my impressions of this performance in addition to their first place finish in both prelims and finals (with a clean sweep of 1st place lock-ins--which I might add, I would not agree with in the least bit on this part so much that it almost seems political how it turned out) I'd have to disagree with them. This was an awesome and...classy performance, typical of what you'd expect from CP. 8 snares!....a lot, but they were clean. Claire de Lune was very well executed via Clarinet ensemble and the music performance as a whole was very impressive, noticeably in the loud to soft contrasts. The smiley face form with the applause cue from the pit was a nice classy finish ;)....and the frolicky field exit had the audience giggling ^_^. Well done...

Cypress Falls: "The Shining"

With Cedar Park's show; portraying the epitome of childhood bliss, Cy-Falls's show establishes a campaign to set out and suck all of those sugar and candy feelings straight from the holdings of your very soul! Reminiscent of LD Bell 2006, "The Shining" was definitely a show designed to make little children cry. It's scary! but definitely the crowd favorite for the night (and mine as well). With electronics out the @$$ (microphones on all of their Marimba and Bell resonators....I mean what'll they think of next?!) as well as props (doors!.....it had to be doors!....darn you Cadets 2k5 :angry: ) and visuals galore--not to mention the voiceovers (which were prerecorded <_ though well executed and guard uniform changes....and it all worked fit so why didn this band win ge heck i had them winning the whole thing....even with sugarcoating they played marched very well. show disappointed got oh well.....they going to own san antonio>

Langham Creek: (didn't catch the show title)

In terms of look and feel, this band and Cedar Park seemed like twins (school colors aside). They're similar in size, style and ability.....I'm not going to bother elaborating further but that's just the impression I get. Clarity with this band! Straight up. This band plays beautifully and with emotion. Their ballad was incredible! definitely the most moving part of the evening....brings a tear to my eye. The visual aspect of their Asian theme worked nicely...Geisha costumes in the guard, and an assortment of wooden poles riveted to the ground, which I assume were supposed to represent a bamboo forest of some sort. Musically and really as a whole I enjoyed this show more than Cedar Park's but I can understand why Cedar Park beat them out. Awesome!