Texas ALL-STATE Music Announced!

Trumpet music is alright.

Maybe its just me, but this music is twice as hard as last year lol.

I don't think it's just you...the clarinet music is a little harder than last year, because one of them has us playing across the break (like, a low C to a middle Eb..well, I'm not sure if those are EXACT notes, but you get the idea), which sucks. But I guess it seems harder because I don't know it very well

Oh. My. Gosh. The clarinet music is a friggin joke. Espically the slow one- not to sound cocky but I sightread that. And first etude is really repitive- but fun to play- that gonna be my favortie one, and the 2nd fast one with the sixteenth sextuplets looks like fun to play also.

I'm excited. But If I mess up that slow one I'm going to beat myself to death.

Oh. My. Gosh. The clarinet music is a friggin joke. Espically the slow one- not to sound cocky but I sightread that. And first etude is really repitive- but fun to play- that gonna be my favortie one, and the 2nd fast one with the sixteenth sextuplets looks like fun to play also.

I'm excited. But If I mess up that slow one I'm going to beat myself to death.

I haven't really looked over the music much, but yeah that slow one doesn't look difficult at all. One accidental, nothing too hard on rhythms, etc

yay for easy :)

I went out and bought myself 'the book' of all the music. Before I always just used copies I got from school, but I'm gonna be an over acheiver this year and actually do good at region ;)

I don't like the ferling book because everyone uses it for lessons so just about every sax player has alraedy played the etudes

I'd imagine most of the people who actually got through the book properly would be upperclassman though, who naturally would have an edge anyway. Most freshmen don't really get too exposed, and most Sophomores know some of the etudes but not all, atleast in my general area.

I played the 3rd oboe piece my freshman year, so I'm very familiar with it if any oboists need advice. The other 2 I'm not as familiar with but can probably pick it up fast if I sit down and do it. If you need any help let me know. Esp. if you are doing EH, I have so many tricks for tackling the beast.

I haven't really looked over the music much, but yeah that slow one doesn't look difficult at all. One accidental, nothing too hard on rhythms, etc

yay for easy :)

I went out and bought myself 'the book' of all the music. Before I always just used copies I got from school, but I'm gonna be an over acheiver this year and actually do good at region ;)

Yeah, after I made the post I actually played my music for more than 20 minutes and the 2nd movement was effing easy......I'm not the greatest sightreader and I got that down the first time. I've been working more with the 1st one, and it doesn't seem like it's so bad after all. The 3rd one is iffy...I liked last year's clarinet music a lot better-I'm not sure why, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm from Indiana so I'm just curious how your honor bands work. Do you get harder music after making that first band?

Because in Indiana we just try out for the top band right away, and to get into a region or district band you apply at different times.

Anyways our all-state try-out music (at least on sax) is much more difficult than yours. When I was working on site-reading a couple of years ago during my lessons, we used your sax audition music for this year. For the Indiana All-State band, we get the audition music about 2 months before the audition date, and it is normally music that no one has ever seen before (not drawn from all these common books). We also have site reading in our audition.

I've always heard that Indiana has the best All-State band, but I've gotta love your marching bands!

Ours move up different levels, and its always the same music.

First you try out for region, then area (you try out against others in your area, but theres no area band), then state auditions.

You only move on to the next level if you are in a certian top cut they take from each group.

The texas music might not be the hardest, but to make it any farther than district you have to be able to play alot more than notes and rythms. It gets pretty industinguishable in the upper levels, and they base placement off of things like style from when the music was written(baroque for example.)

When I first heard that percussion would have to play a four-mallet piece, I didn't quite know what to think. Now that I've seen it I don't think it'll be that bad (especially since it's in triple time and i love triplets! :wub: ), but it means I'll be using up time I could be using for what I really need to work on, i.e. snare and timpani. (mostly timpani. the timpani piece scares me. :ph34r: )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When I first heard that percussion would have to play a four-mallet piece, I didn't quite know what to think. Now that I've seen it I don't think it'll be that bad (especially since it's in triple time and i love triplets! :wub: ), but it means I'll be using up time I could be using for what I really need to work on, i.e. snare and timpani. (mostly timpani. the timpani piece scares me. :ph34r: )

I, personally, do not fancy the keyboard percussion world, however whenever i can get the chance to play the four mallet peice, i do.. it is amazing.. i love it. so dark and mysterious opposed to the two mallet peice which is always pretty and blissful... it just makes me sick. i am getting to like keyboard though.

however whenever i can get the chance to play the four mallet peice, i do.. it is amazing.. i love it. so dark and mysterious opposed to the two mallet peice which is always pretty and blissful... it just makes me sick.

Wow, are you serious? The 4 mallet piece is more like a warmup than music. The arrangement took like no musical skills. All you do is go up and down a C scale playing thirds, with an accidental everynow and then. If you think that piece is cool, then i have a lot of 4 mallet solos to show you. :)

yeah... i must admit, it is easy. compared to rythme song, its like chicken and a roll-_- to Cheesy Poofs^_^ ... i atempted to play rythme song but i couldnt hack it... seeing as i've played snare 98% of the time since 8th grade i think it is a little above my expirience level. but the all-state four mallet piece is a breeze... its just fun. :D

Ours move up different levels, and its always the same music.

First you try out for region, then area (you try out against others in your area, but theres no area band), then state auditions.

You only move on to the next level if you are in a certian top cut they take from each group.

Also it depends on region to region...

Some parts of TX have so many students from so many schools that are auditioning that they have to have a district level auditions. The hiarchy goes like this:

(district)

region

(pre-area)

area

state

the ones in parentheses are the ones that don't really exist in the smaller regions.

Also, I've heard that some of the bigger regions (like 3 and 20) have scales and sightreading in their audtions. I'm wondering if this is true in some of your cases.

• 2 weeks later...
Atleast the Saxophone music is back out of the Ferling book. Last year's music was incredibly easy, and a good deal of mediocre players would be able to play it, without putting any time or effort in it at all, putting alot of variables in some of the judging room.

The sax music is alot easier this year. For one, all three etudes are much shorter. Also, they don't have nearly the technical demands that last year's did. I don't know. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey thats a good recording, the best I've heard since they were released, if you or anyone else can find a good website that has the Bass Trombone region music recorded that would be great. :D

Connally Low Brass,

Johnny

The bass trombone music is INSANE this year. Ive seen it, and i'm so glad i'm a tenor its not even funny. Our hardest etude is like half as hard as the bass tbone music.

• 5 weeks later...