Rare Woodwinds

lionbc

I was drooling when I found this website Contrabass.com. Holy crud. Octobass Flute, Octo-Contrabass Clarinet in BBBb, Contrabass Saxophone in Eb, Tubax, Heckelphone, Contrabass Oboe in CC, Bass Shawms, Contrabassoon, Great Bass Sordune, Great Bass Rackett, Contrabass Sarrusophone in BBb, Contrabassophone, and more. I actually downloaded some of the recordings(unfortunately, not Octo-Contrabass Clarinet recording), and some are pretty good, the Serpent one isn't, but it's a bass trombonist playing it, so that much is to be expected.

I forgot where I saw it, but I saw some bizarre inventions of Adolphe Sax on a website, if I can find it again, I'll post it.

One was a cross between an Sax and a Bone.

I think it might have been the slide reed. It's a trombone that uses a bassoon(or something similar) reed instead of a mouthpiece. Atleast that's what I've gathered. It should be on the contrabass website.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So a guy designed a Super ultra mega hyper Contrabass (my words....he just calls it a "contra-bass") using 64' of PVC pipe, a Selmer standard contrabass clarinet mouthpiece and other various accessories. The lowest note that he can get on it is a C-2

That's quintuple pedal C at 4.09Hz.....over 2 octaves below the range of human hearing. For those who aren't

sure what that means and need a more visual representation, it would be this note (concert pitch):

bass%20note.jpg

• 5 weeks later...