2006 UIL State

I really didn't see any antagonizing comments that Xenon made, so how could he lay off? There's nothing offensive about his statements.

I was not talking about just Xenon.... It just seems that like on every forum somewhere someone asks about why Westfield isnt in UIL or why they got disqualified from UIL or whatever so I'm just trying to say to give it a rest... They arent in UIL... so what....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not talking about just Xenon.... It just seems that like on every forum somewhere someone asks about why Westfield isnt in UIL or why they got disqualified from UIL or whatever so I'm just trying to say to give it a rest... They arent in UIL... so what....

They are not competing in UiL + if they were, they would be disqualified...you honestly think a band that awesome practices only EiGHT hours?? Umm Noo...i`m sure they don`t really aim to win state because they could probably easily take it. UiL has sooooo many restrictions + BOA is a national thing with bands who are NOT bound by our restrictions from UiL. They have better chances at Grand Nationals if they don`t abide by that.

They are not competing in UiL + if they were, they would be disqualified...you honestly think a band that awesome practices only EiGHT hours?? Umm Noo...i`m sure they don`t really aim to win state because they could probably easily take it. UiL has sooooo many restrictions + BOA is a national thing with bands who are NOT bound by our restrictions from UiL. They have better chances at Grand Nationals if they don`t abide by that.

I think I disagree with every single sentence you just typed.

most bands DO practice more than eight hours. there are a lot of 'loopholes' and things to where on a week with a contest a band could easily get more than ten.

but, more than eight practice hours is a LOT... so i get where you're coming from.

i honestly think that's asking the kids to do too much, considering they are there for SCHOOL...

there's my two cents.

I think I disagree with every single sentence you just typed.

Ok not to really start a big arguement on the whole issue & i dont know if this is the right place to ask you but..... can i ask why you disagree with every sentence he wrote?

Ok look i posted this to tell people to lay off westfield and why they are not in UIL.... please do not turn it into a big thing. Thanx

Luv Bea

Well, bea, you gotta look at the assumptions that xraidercutiex was making. I personally have to disagree, as well.

-----

A "band that awesome" could only be practicing more than 8 hours.

Marcus is amazing, and I'm fairly sure they follow the 8-hour rule, since they are going to State this year. Reagan placed ahead of Westfield at BOA Houston, and Reagan is a UIL band. Meaning 8 hours. So implying that a good band "must" be practicing over 8 hours a week isn't always true.

-----

The second sentence is an assumption that if Westfield were to participate in UIL, under UIL rules, they "could probably easily take it".

That's not true either, because Westfield has placed under other bands at BOA contests, including ones that do participate in UIL.

-----

Sometimes I get this impression that BOA supporters underrate the level of competition at UIL's All-State contest. I hope that I'm just misreading things, because UIL is rather... rough.

Besides, I have to agree with Mrs. Ian. Asking kids to put more than the-already-incredible-amount of 8 hours a week + games + contests is just too much. They're not in high school for marching band. They're in high school to be in high school. If a student is really that into marching, then he/she should consider joining a Drum and Bugle Corps.

I hope I didn't come across negatively.

*edited*

DesertWind.... No you did not come across as negative.... but I want everyone to realize that I do not necessarily agree or disagree with what anyone has that posted after my comment. The point of the post was to tell people that Westfield is not in UIL so stop asking why they arent or making up stories that they were disqualified. I really didnt want it to blow up like this. This forum is supposed to be about the state competition. good luck at state evryone!

Luv Bea

DesertWind.... No you did not come across as negative.... but I want everyone to realize that I do not necessarily agree or disagree with what anyone has that posted after my comment. The point of the post was to tell people that Westfield is not in UIL so stop asking why they arent or making up stories that they were disqualified. I really didnt want it to blow up like this. This forum is supposed to be about the state competition. SO............

GO SPRING! FUTURE STATE CHAMPS!

& lay off westfield............

Luv Bea

yeaa, i`m done. i have things to do

I was in high school for band.

And I was that into marching, so I did join a drum & bugle corps.

I did the best I could in my other non-music classes, just so that I was able to AP test out of about 18+ hours worth of courses and focus on music in college, and to get scholarships so I could afford it.

If you think band takes too much time, quit. It's an elective course, you don't have to take it.

And kid from Spring: Chill, you're making your band program look ridiculous.

So need an honest opinion...i want to go see finals for state, but the facts its on a friggin Tuesday, and i have tests, makes me very much ponder the decision. However i did tell my sister if they made finals i would make the 2 1/2 hour treck to go watch them perform (no way i can go watch prelims). So I didnt know who on here has actually seen other bands perform and all...i was just wondering what the chances are that they place in finals. I honestly think theres a very good chance since they have taken music at EVERY contest they've gone to this year, and visually arent bad at all. (between prelims and finals at area got 2,2,1,2). So should i plan on the trip?