The day of competition

I just want a general idea of what different bands do on competition days...

For example, whenever we have a competition, we have rehearsal for 2 or 3 hours.

Like, today for our UIL Region contest, we got out of school early, at 11:30, so that we could go rehearse until about 2:45. (I thought it was so funny that we got out of school just to rehearse :P)

I personally think it's a bad idea to have such long rehearsals before a contest...I mean, we're always so tired by the end of the rehearsal, and then we have a contest to go to (and sometimes we have to perform twice)!

I mean, I just think it would be better to make the other rehearsals longer and just have a shorter but meaningful rehearsal prior to the contest. That way, the band isn't tired, but they're focused.

But anywho! I was just wondering if all bands have long rehearsals the day of contest, or if people have short ones, or maybe none at all?

we usually meet anywhere from 3-5 hours before our warm-up time and do some really good breathing, buzzing, and other fundamentals to get us relaxed, focused, and at the top of our game. and after that we get a quick stretch and start reinforcing choreography and other essential parts of the show. and finally a run-through.

i think pre-contest rehearsals are my favorites.

We usally have a one hour practice/run-through before each contest. Practice typically sonsists of 10 minutes of stretching, 20 minutes of fundamentals, 20 minutes of last-minute cleaning and then a full run.

Brian

Trumpet

The Woodlands College Park High School Band

i think that's pretty much what we're going to do tomorrow.

Usually, the band hall opens about 3 to 5 hours before we perform, which can change depending on how far away the stadium is.. We warm up about an hour or 45 minutes after the band hall opens, we have our inspection and run through about 45 minutes after for probably an hour, then we load up and go.