Yea, it's understandable to be angry at not making finals. However, it could very well happen that the three music judges had you guys at 4th place and the visual judges had you at 9/10th place. That happened to Hebron last year at 4A Area C finals. I think we were 1/2 in visual, but our music scores didn't cut it. Thus, we didn't make it. You learn to accept it, and you move on. No big deal.

By the way, does anybody have the full recaps? I wonder about the placements each judge gave the bands.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to be bitter, and I don't normally like complaining, but I think we (Summit) were better than Richland and Haltom. Just because they have the name and have been in this area forever doesn't mean they're better than us. This was our first year at Area B.

I don't get it.

It doesn't make sense that 3 judges think that we were 4th, and then the other two think we are 9th and 10th.

BUT

It is what it is, we don't have any control over any of that, but it was fun. I just don't like losing, and nobody should.

Is our best performance ever really just a 6th place performance? The answer is no.

So yeah, it sucks, but we must accept it, and move on.

I love you all.

Y'all have a good show, but I actually agreed exactly with how the judges placed y'all.

You had great music performance, but your show was plagued with marching issues. This shows up in a very consistent manner in the judges rankings. People need to remember that there are two different captions; Music and Marching.

Like I said, the music judges gave us 4, 10, and 4. The marching gave us 4 and 9.

You didn't say that, and if that were actually correct, then you would be advancing to State due to the "Bad Judge" rule since 2 Music and 1 Marching judge had y'all advancing.

But you aren't advancing, so either those are not the correct rankings (likely) or the judges and directors (including your own directors) did not catch that the rule should be enacted (less likely).

You didn't say that, and if that were actually correct, then you would be advancing to State due to the "Bad Judge" rule since 2 Music and 1 Marching judge had y'all advancing.

But you aren't advancing, so either those are not the correct rankings (likely) or the judges and directors (including your own directors) did not catch that the rule should be enacted (less likely).

Actually, Conner is exactly right. The music judges had Summit 4-4-10 and marching judges 4-9.

The "bad judges" rule is only if two music and one marching have you third or above. See link:

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/music/scoring_procedure.html

In addition any band below tenth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals.

Either way, Summit still had a pretty solid showing. Be proud to accomplish what you did; making finals, nonetheless 6th place, is a title that could've easily gone to half a dozen other bands. Besides, other bands have been hit in the past with far greater judging descrepencies. UIL in particular isn't reputed for the most consistent scoring in the world. As easily as you can believe the judges who ranked you 4th were correct, the oppisite side can come argue the same thing for those 9th and 10th place spots. I'm not saying this to belittle your performance (truth be told, I liked it a lot), but there's always going to be some element of dissapointment to cope with.

Actually, Conner is exactly right. The music judges had Summit 4-4-10 and marching judges 4-9.

The "bad judges" rule is only if two music and one marching have you third or above. See link:

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/music/scoring_procedure.html

I was under the impression that rule only applied for prelims/finals and not to advancing to Area. At least, that's what I understand it to say.

In prelims, you weren't advancing OR first alternate so that first place rating didnt really help you, did it.

If you're going to jump on someone, and attempt to rub something in their face, make sure you are completely aware of why they said what they said. Don't make yourself seem ignorant. Connor was simply replying to Xenons comment that "You had great music performance, but your show was plagued with marching issues. This shows up in a very consistent manner in the judges rankings. People need to remember that there are two different captions; Music and Marching. "

He was only proving a point by stating that appearanlty if Summit's marching was such an issue, and was consistantly ranked throughout, then how do you explain a first place marching rating in prelims in such an impressive Area? Usually marching shows "plagued with marching issues" don't recieve rankings such as this..

But whatever, it's all over now, so good job to everyone who advanced. Appearanlty you guys met the standards more than we did. So amazing job, and good luck at state. I know all of you will do very well.

If you're going to jump on someone, and attempt to rub something in their face, make sure you are completely aware of why they said what they said. Don't make yourself seem ignorant. Connor was simply replying to Xenons comment that "You had great music performance, but your show was plagued with marching issues. This shows up in a very consistent manner in the judges rankings. People need to remember that there are two different captions; Music and Marching. "

He was only proving a point by stating that appearanlty if Summit's marching was such an issue, and was consistantly ranked throughout, then how do you explain a first place marching rating in prelims in such an impressive Area? Usually marching shows "plagued with marching issues" don't recieve rankings such as this..

But whatever, it's all over now, so good job to everyone who advanced. Appearanlty you guys met the standards more than we did. So amazing job, and good luck at state. I know all of you will do very well.

I was actually only talking about the finals performance. I probably should have clarified that more. The finals performance was just off.

And as far as the "Bad Judge" rule goes, that must be a new change. As late as August 1st, that page still said if those three judges had you in an advancement placement, not just 3rd or higher.

mmk so what what exactly happend to letting go of guard flags creekview was definately the olny guard in finals who threw multiple doubles well even threw one double for that matter frankly i'd like to see good bands (the ones who made finals) go back to the military tradition of using weapons and flags Insted of just probps *caugh* marcus* caugh* there needs to be a standard of difficulty set for guards thats all i have to say

oh yeha but also congradulations to those bands who made it they were freeking awesome even if there guards were'nt hard core. there showes were still somewhat entertaining (mabey not exciting and fast pased) but entertaining none the less.

anyone know why they announced top 5 in alphabetical order? i'v never heard of that happening before. my only thought is the announcor didnt want to anounce bell as 2nd. please tell me if you know why? cuz i kinda think it was rude to allen ans us (creekview) when they started with the letter "H".

You know, I about had a coronary as I thought they had passed over "Bell"... :D

haha. that's funny.

idk though. the do weird stuff. in 04 at area c they anounced marcus last, eventhough we got second and rowlett(or something that starts with an 'r') made it. but i think they were just messing with our heads cus it was our first year, lol. they prolly just didn't want to deal with the placements. i don't think they would really care about saying bell got second... i mean they don't win EVERYTHING, lol.

uil announcers are just dorks, plain and simple(at least that's my theory, lol)

does anyone know the rank points(or whatever they're called) from finals?

mmk so what what exactly happend to letting go of guard flags creekview was definately the olny guard in finals who threw multiple doubles well even threw one double for that matter frankly

I think I missed something either that or I'm reading this incorrectly...you're saying that Creekview was the ONLY colorguard to throw a double on flag in finals?

mmk so what what exactly happend to letting go of guard flags creekview was definately the olny guard in finals who threw multiple doubles well even threw one double for that matter frankly i'd like to see good bands (the ones who made finals) go back to the military tradition of using weapons and flags Insted of just probps *caugh* marcus* caugh* there needs to be a standard of difficulty set for guards thats all i have to say

oh yeha but also congradulations to those bands who made it they were freeking awesome even if there guards were'nt hard core. there showes were still somewhat entertaining (mabey not exciting and fast pased) but entertaining none the less.

I think your time would be better spent in english class rather than practicing your doubles.