UIL 5A Area B 2024

This area is a bloodbath and with the same regions in this area this year, all signs point to it being a bloodbath again this year. There are legit 5, maybe even 6 bands that could make state finals from this area, but only 4 can make it. There will be many interesting storylines in this area this year. Northwest and Princeton are going up to 6A, Lake Dallas is going down to 4A, and Anna is moving up to 5A which means they will be joining this area. The top 6 scores last year were EXTREMELY close last year (Also I know that it's very late to ask lol but does anyone has the raw scores from this area competition last year? I've looked everywhere but can't find them lol, hopefully the UIL starts posting raw scores again this year) and I would imagine the same is gonna happen this year. Also bands like Emerson, Walnut Grove, and Memorial have been getting better and better and I'm very intrigued to see what things they could do this year. Also Lone Star beat Wakeland in prelims last year and if it would've rained more and finals getting canceled, Lone Star would've won area so I'm very interested to see if Lone Star can build on that momentum and potentially take the area crown away from Wakeland. Here would be my WAY too early predictions:

1. Wakeland (one of the best bands in the nation and could win state this year)

2. Lone Star (this band just keeps on getting better and better and always had one the funnest shows last year)

3-7. Argyle/Lebanon Trail/McKinney North/The Colony/Lovejoy

Argyle has been one of the most impressive bands to come up from 4A over the past few years and were very close to making state after being 4th in prelims but then coming in a close 5th in finals. Their success in UIL competition has been very impressive with 8 state championships (currently the state record even though Cedar Park could tie with them this year if they win state again) and once their size gets bigger, they could potentially be a force to be reckoned with if they keep their momentum up. They will also be going to Grand Nationals for the 1st time ever so that'll very exciting for that program. 

McKinney North had one of the funnest shows last year which had them make state for the 1st time in a while. Many people were expecting them to move up to 6A for the next realignment but missed the cutoff by literally 2 students which makes them the biggest 5A school in the state with Aledo and Leander being around their size as well. If they have another amazing season this year, they will easily be in that mix to get into state and maybe even make state finals if they qualify for state.

Lebanon Trail has always been very consistent in this area. They dodged a bullet last season with area finals potentially getting canceled which would've had them come up just short behind Argyle and miss state but area finals ended up happening which led to them getting a redemption from prelims and making state by passing up Argyle in finals for that final state spot which led to them making state finals and getting 12th. I'm very interested to see what Lebanon Trail does this season and if they can run it back to state.

The Colony has been on the rise lately and had one their best seasons to date last season. They went from being 1 spot short of finals to a threat to make state all in the span of a year. Based their momentum lately, they could certainly make state which would be a huge accomplishment for that amazing band program.

Lovejoy has always been a consistent area finalist and have been very to making state a few times. They had a rough end to their season last year with getting a 2 at region by a timing penalty which led to a very unplanned to the end of their season. I think Lovejoy is due for redemption year this year and if they have a great season like they had in 2022, they could easily be amongst the bands that could make state.

8-10. Memorial/Centennial/Emerson/Walnut Grove/Reedy/Independence/Liberty/Frisco (it could honestly be any of these bands)

19 minutes ago, Mike McBandiel said:

This area is a bloodbath and with the same regions in this area this year, all signs point to it being a bloodbath again this year. There are legit 5, maybe even 6 bands that could make state finals from this area, but only 4 can make it. There will be many interesting storylines in this area this year. Northwest and Princeton are going up to 6A, Lake Dallas is going down to 4A, and Anna is moving up to 5A which means they will be joining this area. The top 6 scores last year were EXTREMELY close last year (Also I know that it's very late to ask lol but does anyone has the raw scores from this area competition last year? I've looked everywhere but can't find them lol, hopefully the UIL starts posting raw scores again this year) and I would imagine the same is gonna happen this year. Also bands like Emerson, Walnut Grove, and Memorial have been getting better and better and I'm very intrigued to see what things they could do this year. Also Lone Star beat Wakeland in prelims last year and if it would've rained more and finals getting canceled, Lone Star would've won area so I'm very interested to see if Lone Star can build on that momentum and potentially take the area crown away from Wakeland. Here would be my WAY too early predictions:

2. Lone Star (this band just keeps on getting better and better and always had one the funnest shows last year)

Argyle has been one of the most impressive bands to come up from 4A over the past few years and were very close to making state after being 4th in prelims but then coming in a close 5th in finals. Their success in UIL competition has been very impressive with 8 state championships (currently the state record even though Cedar Park could tie with them this year if they win state again) and once their size gets bigger, they could potentially be a force to be reckoned with if they keep their momentum up. They will also be going to Grand Nationals for the 1st time ever so that'll very exciting for that program. 

McKinney North had one of the funnest shows last year which had them make state for the 1st time in a while. Many people were expecting them to move up to 6A for the next realignment but missed the cutoff by literally 2 students which makes them the biggest 5A school in the state with Aledo and Leander being around their size as well. If they have another amazing season this year, they will easily be in that mix to get into state and maybe even make state finals if they qualify for state.

Lebanon Trail has always been very consistent in this area. They dodged a bullet last season with area finals potentially getting canceled which would've had them come up just short behind Argyle and miss state but area finals ended up happening which led to them getting a redemption from prelims and making state by passing up Argyle in finals for that final state spot which led to them making state finals and getting 12th. I'm very interested to see what Lebanon Trail does this season and if they can run it back to state.

The Colony has been on the rise lately and had one their best seasons to date last season. They went from being 1 spot short of finals to a threat to make state all in the span of a year. Based their momentum lately, they could certainly make state which would be a huge accomplishment for that amazing band program.

Lovejoy has always been a consistent area finalist and have been very to making state a few times. They had a rough end to their season last year with getting a 2 at region by a timing penalty which led to a very unplanned to the end of their season. I think Lovejoy is due for redemption year this year and if they have a great season like they had in 2022, they could easily be amongst the bands that could make state.

8-10. Memorial/Centennial/Emerson/Walnut Grove/Reedy/Independence/Liberty/Frisco (it could honestly be any of these bands)

Great breakdown! I think your predictions are spot on, and with programs on the rise, it will be very fun to see how things shake up, but my predictions are in line with yours 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 8:39 PM, Mike McBandiel said:

I did see that Lone star did win in prelims this last year but I have heard that is becuase of the scheduling and because lone star had one of the latest times it put them much more easy to compare to othe programs compared to wakeland which had a earlier perfomance time. This is a such competative top 5 that it will probably always be wakeland to win but the effort that the programs like lone star and mckinney north put in could some day in the far future get them to the level that wakeland puts out year after year.

7 hours ago, TubaBoi123 said:

I did see that Lone star did win in prelims this last year but I have heard that is becuase of the scheduling and because lone star had one of the latest times it put them much more easy to compare to othe programs compared to wakeland which had a earlier perfomance time. This is a such competative top 5 that it will probably always be wakeland to win but the effort that the programs like lone star and mckinney north put in could some day in the far future get them to the level that wakeland puts out year after year.

Yeah Lone Star for sure got a better time in prelims which really boosted them prelims. Wakeland got a better time being 2nd to last (performance time) in finals and they are on a whole new level, especially finals which helped them earn a judge’s sweep and an area championship. I do think that Lone Star and McKinney North will eventually reach the levels that Wakeland has been at since their results have been for sure getting better year over year.

16 hours ago, Mike McBandiel said:

Yeah Lone Star for sure got a better time in prelims which really boosted them prelims. Wakeland got a better time being 2nd to last (performance time) in finals and they are on a whole new level, especially finals which helped them earn a judge’s sweep and an area championship. I do think that Lone Star and McKinney North will eventually reach the levels that Wakeland has been at since their results have been for sure getting better year over year.

I can't wait to see how McKinney North and Lonestar do this year! Area B is always fun to see the scores after because of how close each band is to each other

• 3 weeks later...