Overlooked shows

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitewing09 @ Oct 20 2006, 04:41 PM)
hey i was wondering what did bowie rank at BOA San antonio for 2004

James Bowie was eighth.

Finals Results

92.90 - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

91.50 - Winston Churchill H.S., TX

89.65 - Owasso H.S., OK

87.95 - Cedar Park H.S., TX

87.90 - Haltom H.S., TX

87.00 - Westfield H.S., TX

86.90 - Richland H.S., TX

85.75 - James Bowie H.S., TX

83.80 - Creekview H.S., TX

83.45 - Spring H.S., TX

83.35 - Westlake H.S., TX

83.25 - Marcus H.S., TX

80.50 - Lake Highlands H.S., TX

78.00 - Hebron H.S., TX

Outstanding Music Performance - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

Outstanding Visual Performance - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

Outstanding General Effect - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

If you want to take the musical books into consideration, I would also like to mention that Universal Expressions was not easy to pull off.  Churchill had a fairly difficult musical book and drill as well (I feel not many people appreciate Churchill 2004...they made blind "follow the leader" formations look easy).

I think the show overall was a little out of Reagan's reach (not the whole time, only at certain points) in 2004.  I would also agree with the statement that Reagan was not a true playing band until last year, but even so, they performed fairly well at state in 2004.  I just think about it and I wonder, despite my love for the show, how Reagan was a state finalist in 2004.  At UIL, it's supposed to be about who has the cleanest show with the most demanding music and drill, or something along the lines of that. 

That playing Mary Had a Little Lamb comment reminds me of something our director always tells us.  Sometimes, if we mess up pretty badly on something, he will make a comment that sounds something like this...

"If this music and drill is too hard for you, we can set up in a block, march the box drill, and play the Bb scale for 5 minutes.  That's all you have to do to get a first division!"  I don't know why, but I get a crack out of that every time.  I just for once want to see a band at a contest marching the box drill and playing a Bb scale.

(Yes I go to Reagan, no I'm not going to say anything about any of our shows)

Yeah, from multiple people, I've always been under the impression that at UiL it doesn't matter what you're marching or playing, just how you're doing it. My sister told me something like, "You could march out, do a box drill and play the Patterson choral and as long as you execute it perfectly, you'll win state."