Somewhat off topic but this thread reminded me of this:

Back when I was marching, the District did not allow us to participate in pushups because of a big ROTC hazing scandal that was exposed. Any extra conditioning other than what was essential and truly necessary to the marching activity had to be all-voluntary because everyone was on pins and needles, just in case some kid decided to go to administration and say that the excerise was "forced" upon him or her.

We stretch and do this thingy where we have to hold our arms our and do weird stuff with them and it's supposed to build strength... it hurts like a mother though.

Arm circles?

The squad leaders used to be able to give pushups to people as punishment, or run The Hill (not a fun experience, anyone that has done any type of sport or physical education at Martin knows what The Hill is.) But now we're not allowed to do that kind of physical punishment. I've heard one of the reasons being because you don't need a physical to participate in marching band so we're not allowed to do that kind of stuff.

We do arm circles, but that's about as far as non-marching conditioning goes.

Our conditioning/punishment is duck walking or this strange exercise where you stand on your toes and mark time by picking up your foot...something like a strange calf raise. Other than that....basically we just do marching fundamentals everyday for conditioning and running the show a few times back to back.

*ahem*

"Go down...left leg...

face the houses, roll the heel up, take it to a lounge, roll your feet forward...go back, face the center, to your right, roll the heel up, take a it to a lounge, roll your feet together, get back to center , rolling up, 2...3...4...5...6...7...8"

Arm Circles, 20, *small* *medium* *big*

Arm stretch exercises... and at the end, HOLD IT, dont bend your arms, ok at ease

massage the person in front of you

and...take a lap

--PUNISHMENTS--

5 pushups, and if you mess up again, 5 MORE, and 10 MORE, until you get it right (meh, only French Horns on the adding part)

youre late?? 10 pushups and a lap

We do a run, stretch, push-ups, run again thing... I had to do 3 laps today because our band director has this thing where if we don't beat someone running, we have to do another lap and I wasn't about to push myself that hard because she's a fast runner and I'm not. And it was really hot because outdoor practice went from 5:30-8 because of teacher inservice. We have to do push-ups for punishment if we mess up with directions (like, only doing going to one set instead of two or something) or is late to practice. He also makes people do laps if they're talking too much or, as in my friend's case, chewing gum. The worst part about it is that we're not used to doing anything like this because our old band director left and he didn't make us do this stuff. But it's not so bad...I'm more in shape, so it works for me

Jumping Jacks or Jumping Janes is part of our excercise before we start, and me and th e rest of the brass have started to suggest just doing 75 of them, and then start to increase it to 100, 120 etc. just because we end up doing that many anyway because people never stop on the right on ex. the drum major tells us we are going to do 26 jumping jacks, people continue after 26 which in turn makes us have to do more, we end up doing around 75 anyways.