Royse City Marching Classic (October 14th) Solar Eclipse Day!!!

6 minutes ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

Saw West Mesquite at the Mesquite Marching Festival and was SUPER impressed

They got a new head director that was the feeder ms director for North Mesquite. She’s been doing some awesome stuff at west. The high brass and percussion are really giving it some edge over other programs.

2 minutes ago, MrsE said:

2a-4a finals:

1st Celina

2nd Farmersville (an impressive move up for them)

3rd Kaufman

4th Sulphur Springs

5th sunnyvale

6th Mineola (down from 2nd in prelims)

7th Paris

best percussion-celina

guard - mineola

VERY weird judging considering a judge having celina 7th for perc in prelims, and then now them winning it, as well as mineola dropping 4 places and farmersville moving up so much, curious to see the judging sheets

Just now, deank10 said:

VERY weird judging considering a judge having celina 7th for perc in prelims, and then now them winning it, as well as mineola dropping 4 places and farmersville moving up so much, curious to see the judging sheets

A friend from kaufman said that they had an awful run and still stayed at 3rd from prelims to finals so

12 minutes ago, deank10 said:

Celina was third for percussion in prelims. Ranchview first (didn’t make finals), followed by SS. I was confused about the prelims sheet as well. It looks like maybe they had a separate percussion and guard judge separate from the other judges based on the scoring sheet someone posted above. 

Going off the actual prelim rankings, Sulphur was first for percussion and Celina was second. Ranchview was WAY down the list. 

Based on Division 2 Prelims 2 of the judges seemed to agree on many of the scores and one judge must have been looking at things a lot differently. The Ranchview Percussion award was weird. Also, the one judge who gave Mineola all 7 which cost them 1st overall in Prelims.  I am also curious to see final judges results there was a lot of moving around in scores.

Finals Awards

Overall Color Guard - Mineola

Overall Drum Major - Mineola

Overall Percussion - Celina

13 hours ago, MrsE said:

Celina was third for percussion in prelims. Ranchview first (didn’t make finals), followed by SS. I was confused about the prelims sheet as well. It looks like maybe they had a separate percussion and guard judge separate from the other judges based on the scoring sheet someone posted above. 

Going off the actual prelim rankings, Sulphur was first for percussion and Celina was second. Ranchview was WAY down the list. 

There were two percussion judges on a separate score sheet that did not count towards the advancement of finals for the band.

1 hour ago, oktxregulators said:

Yeah, I was curious how Mineola went from 2nd in Prelims to 6th in Finals. Yet, won Overall Guard and Overall Drum Major in Finals.

Farmersville placed 5th prelims and won both categories as well. The judging was consistent throughout the contest although it does seem weird that a band as well known as mineola placed so low.

1 hour ago, oktxregulators said:

Yeah, I was curious how Mineola went from 2nd in Prelims to 6th in Finals. Yet, won Overall Guard and Overall Drum Major in Finals.

A commenter above stated there were additional judges for guard/DM and drums and those scores did not count towards advancement and, I’m assuming, overall rankings and scores. 

I guess we won't really know what happened unless we see the Final Score Card for the judges. All the bands in the finals are very talented and very deserving. I just like to go back and look at lots of band competition scores cards to see how they compare to each other to understand maybe how a band missed out on placement or making finals. You typically see trends of some kind of a glaring weakness that sticks out.