Multiverse

x04ty29er

Ok. Is there anyone here who believes the multiverse theory? for those who don't know, It basically states that our 'universe' is not unique but rather, it exists in parallel with otheruniverses, hence the name, multiverse. Gravity curves the fabric of space-time, and what some people believe is that the gravitational force of a black hole is great enough to tear a hole in the fabric of our universe, thus revealing a gateway to the others. Since nobody has ever been through a black hole and we have no idea what lies beyond our universe(there are theories), none of this has been confirmed (well duh).

I invite anyone and everyone to post their ideas here, no matter how absurd or reasonable it may be.

I don't quite agree with the multiverse theory. If you really think about it, black holes would have to serve as a gateway, correct? If black holes served as a gateway, what would be an exit? It couldn't be another another black hole because they are a gravitational pull, so then a sort of "anti-gravity" black hole, through which something would have to escape would need to exist. We also know that black holes are

A.) Almost pure energy in extremely high amounts

B.) Are formed when a star collapes

C.) Are like a vacuum in force

In Europe, they created a black hole about a year ago for a split second using high concentrations of energy. Was it a portal to another part of the multiverse? Probably not. When a star collapses, it absorbs into nothing, and it becomes a black hole. What I believe black holes are is nothing more than the universe's way of replenishing stars...kind of like how nature will spread trees around through different methods of germination. In a sense, it seems logical because stars loose all their energy, so why wouldn't the gravity try to pull in sources of fuel? If you look at our sun today, it's composed mainly of gases, if it stops burning, what would it turn into? A ball of gravity...I think the sun is only as big as it is because heat rises. If the sun's gravity weren't that great, then we would probably be prone to sunflares and so on.

So no...I don't believe in the multiverse.

But you have to take into account the fact that the gravitational pull of a black hole is such that nothing, not even light can escape from it (this is not entirely true. For a more complete explaination, go see A Brief History of Time). Since the gravity is such, we do not know what is 'beyond' them. We only know that they exist because of the background radiation, and thus the immense gravity can come from the cumulative mass of another universe through a hole is space-time.

But if you take that into account, you must also consider this; we have discovered that the universe is actually expanding (long, complex explanation as to why, look it up) and if we say that a multiverse is parallel to other universes within it, wouldn't they all be expanding? And if they are expanding, wouldn't the black holes expand as well if they are the cumulative mass of another universe? I understand what you mean as far as space-time goes, but wouldn't there have to be a way for things to come out of black holes, because then once you are sucked into a black hole, or anything for that matter, you are lost into nothingness. I mean, yes, it is logical to assume that there could be something on the other side of a black hole, but I don't believe it would lead to another universe. I don't think it's even a portal of any sort. It's just a pure constriction of gravity. All stars are like that. The sun's gravity is powerful enough to keep the planets in orbit, so it seems logical enough that a black hole is merely a star without the burning lights and fuel. Just to give an idea of how much energy is produced, the sun uses fusion energy. We don't use fusion energy because we have not figured out how to use it without having to put in more energy than it produces. We short circuit a city the size of LA everytime we try to smash two atoms together.

Just the idea of a multiverse seems kind of farfetched for me. I mean, our universe is BEYOND human comprehension, let alone there be more than one. I just got this thought right now of what happens when you touch the end of the universe...where do you go? What happens? What does it look like? I am not saying that a multiverse isn't possible, I just think it's very unlikely.

It is no more likely that the universe is expanding. They believe it is expanding because of the redshift in the stars and galaxies. However, this simply means that the other celestial bodies are moving away from us, or we are moving away from them. And the sun and a black hole are quite different. First off, the sun does not have enough mass to become a black hole when it dies. Second, a black hole is a collapsed star. It is a single point in space with an immense gravitational pull from which not even light can escape(there is a way to escape, If you wish to know, ask). Now, people have come to the conclusion that spacetime is like a fabric, large objects cause hills and valleys. It then also makes sense to believe that this fabric can be torn. Some believe that these tears, wormholes, do not lead to another universe, but rather a different part of ours. As for what is beyond our universe, I do believe that they think it is what they call dark energy. I do not know specifically what this is, but I do believe that it is matter/energy that is repelled by gravity rather than attracted by it. If you have further questions on things beyond the universe, I would ask Fortissimo.

Theoretically, that is what happens. Since no one has ever been in a black hole, all it is is theory. According to conventional physics, an object that has enough gravitational force to keep light from escaping has the force to crush pretty much anything. However, if the immense gravity instead opens upa hole in space-time, other things could happen. According to Stephen Hawking, as you passed the event horizon and approached the center point, time would slow down as you would be slowly streched into spaghetti over what would appear to be thousands of years. However, it hasn't happened. The nearest black hole is too far away to be reached by anything we have right now and thank goodness for that. But if something was designed so that it could withstand the immense force, just about anything you could imagine could happen in a black hole.

My sister is VERY simple-minded...she believes that quantum physics and the mysteries of a black hole are POINTLESS things to think about...which they are if you really think about it, but it's always fun to ponder the possiblities. Anyways, she and I were talking about this earlier, and we have come to a conclusion...and it looks something like this:

God: *creates black hole* HA! That should make them think and drive them crazy!

Yes...we have come to the conclusion that a black hole is God's joke to humans. Along with the platypus.

Ha. That is a simple explaination and a good one. I'll go with it. However, for all those atheists out there (as well as people who are just curious), I will continue to discuss this. Now, if black holes were God's joke to humans, why are they physically explainable? We don't know what happens when you get to close, we have theories, but we do know that they are caused when a massive star burns out and has enough mass to pull all its other mass together. As the matter gets closer together because of gravity, the force mulitipies, thus compressing and recompressing the mass until it is but a tiny point in space with massive pull. Now back to the topic. A better example. Imagine a flat blanket, suspended in air. Put a tennis ball on it, it makes a small curvature. Put a bowling ball in it (its a strong blanket), there is a larger dent. Now, take a needle, attach it to the bowling ball, and put the contraption, point down, into the blanket. There is now a hole,the result of a large mass on a small point, greatly increasing pressure, blahblahblah. But where does it lead? The blanket represents our universe. What happen when you tear a hole and go through? Maybe you pop up somewhere else. But that is the mystery.

My sister is VERY simple-minded...she believes that quantum physics and the mysteries of a black hole are POINTLESS things to think about...which they are if you really think about it, but it's always fun to ponder the possiblities. Anyways, she and I were talking about this earlier, and we have come to a conclusion...and it looks something like this:

God: *creates black hole* HA! That should make them think and drive them crazy!

Yes...we have come to the conclusion that a black hole is God's joke to humans. Along with the platypus.

hahaha i like that Black holes are gods joke to humans. like the platypus hahaha

Im still trying to emrace the fact that the universe is infinite in size (at least I think it is). Talking about more than 1 universe, that is just unreal.

I think that is literally impossible.

The universe has a certain amount of mass in it. To disrupt that mass, i think, would be catasrophic on many many levels. I really dont believe time travel, or travel between parallel universes (if that exists) will ever be possible.

That would kind of suck though...if your other self came to kill you so that he/she could become stronger.

I actually did come back to exterminate myself. and i am, indeed, a much stronger and wiser being. but which me was exterminated? since, theoretically i would get stronger whichever me was offed.

it certainly explains my super-human tendencies. :ph34r:

Hm. You obviously have seen The One. The energy of your being being split throughout all your different incarnations and mutually links is quite unlikely. A 'parallel' universe may not be quite parallel but rather went on a completely different path as a result of something different millions, billions of years ago. Time travel is theoretically possible, but only back to the point at which the device was made. Time is relative and is a dimention, like length, width, or height. Now imagine a macroscopic wormhole, it has 2 ends. Load one end into a ship that travels lets just say .8c. Now, according to relativity, the time for the end in the ship passes slower than the time one the other side. By the time the ship returns, it will be in the same spot where it started, many years into the future, far ahead of the other side. But step through the wormhole, and you have just traveled back in time. Light is energy. Energy and mass are interchangable according to E=mc^2. When the universe began, it is believed that there was more energy than there is now. Why? Some of it escaped beyond the edge before the universe expanded enough to contain it. what scientist have decide is that the average temperature of the universe is ~2 degrees Kelvin. Now, if the universe were infinite, this number would have to be 0. could you explain why you believe that the universe is infinite?

I thought that 0 degrees Kelvin was absolute zero, and so you cant have a temperature lower that 0 degrees Kelvin.

Or is that -243 degrees Kelvin. Or -243 degrees Celcius. AHH I DONT KNOW.

But anyways, are you saying that the average temperature of the universe is less than absolute zero? Cause not even atoms can move when the temperature is absolute zero.

Now, if the universe were infinite, this number would have to be 0. could you explain why you believe that the universe is infinite?

Its called a universe for a reason. There is only one of it, and I take that absolutely.

Like I said earlier, changing the total mass of the universe, in my opinion, would be catasrophic. Changing the total mass of the universe would change much more than just that. Gravitation would be thrown off between all objects. All objects have a certain amount of gravitation towards other objects, no matter how far away that certain object is. The loss of that one item of mass could be disastrous.

in the equation E=mc^2, mass can theoretically be changed to energy. But, the debate still raves on about that equation. Light can not be determined to be mass or light at this point in time. When light travels through the universe, it bends. Why can light bend? Because of its feeling of gravity towards other objects makes it. However, no single amount of light, at least from what we can measure, has any mass at all.

Light cannot bend unless it has a mass and gravity it effecting it, however, the opposite hasnt been proved otherwise. e=mc^2 is a brilliant equation, but it was derived theoretically.

And the Kelvin scale does start on 0.

I think it is isnt it? Zero Kelvin is equal to -273 Celsius I think, which is absolute zero. No scientist has ever been able to reach the temperature of 0 Kelvins. I really could believe the whole 2 Kelvin universal temperature thing, because ultimately, the universe is a WHOLE lot of free space.