2005 BOA TX Regionals

What's up with the trash talk surrounding the La Joya regional??? A weaker regional than most Texas regionals, yes. But, so what? That the regional is weaker than most Texas regionals doesn't make the bands that go to the regional bad (in Texas, bands are usually anything but). So, again, I want to ask, what's with the groans and trash talk surrounding the La Joya regional?

Or are we a bit elitist when it comes to appreciation of the activity past the creme de creme?

Agreed 100% Alex.

I'm happy to see that bands in the Valley are finally receiving the exposure that other bands in Texas have been getting for the past decade and a half. With top adjudicators in the activity judging and giving helpful comments to the bands down south, one day...maybe the next Texas powerhouse will emerge from the Valley.

Has anyone noticed how many national level competitions are in the Valley now?

--BOA La Joya Regional (La Joya)

--USSBA South Texas Regional (Donna)

--USSBA Southwest Texas Regional (Laredo)

--USSBA Coastal Bend Competition (Rockport)

--USSBA South Texas Championships (McAllen)

--USSBA Crossroads Competition (Robstown)

I love the direction that the Valley band programs are going in. It will only get better.

Easy, easy! I didn't mean to offend anyone. Everyone was just pointing out the Arlington, Houston, and SA regionals, and I just thought I'd make a comment about La Joya. I agree with both of the posts, except that I didn't mean to attack the La Joya Regional in any way, shape or form. Sorry 'bout that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is unfortunate that the LaJoya and Houston Regionals are on the same day. It would be cool to have more "non-valley" bands go down to LaJoya. Although, its not my favorite stadium for a BOA Regional it was a well run show last year. Does anyone know if the LaJoya Regional is going to be a a "real" BOA competition this year or is it still "sanctioned" with different classifiactions and rules? That was my only real complaint from last year.

Does anyone know if the LaJoya Regional is going to be a a "real" BOA competition this year or is it still "sanctioned" with different classifiactions and rules? That was my only real complaint from last year.

Just wondering...

Since it was a sanctioned event last year, was there a difference at the competition when compared to a normal BOA Regional?

There WAS a difference at the LaJoya Regional last year. They used UIL Classifiactions and the finalists were not really the top 10 scores like a normal regional. I don't recall for sure, but there was a certain number of finalists from each classifiaction....thus not a true top 10 competition (there may have been 12 or 14 bands). It was such long time ago.

Even though it was great to get the BOA experience in the RGV, it was a little too "feel good" for my preference.

Yes, they were scored and judged the same as any other regional. I was not questioning that aspec....but the finalists were not based on normal criteria since not everyone in the finals competition were all top 10 bands. I know that the BOA Regional sign-up sheet had different explanations on it, I just don't have one of those sheets.

I was just curious if anyone knew if they were doing the same thing this year.

All of the top 10 scorers from prelims except MacAllen, who had a game and was replaced by Brownsville Hanna (11th in prelims), marched in finals. In addition, Hidalgo, the class A champion marched. Roma, the class AA champion was already in finals

due to scoring 8th overall in prelims. The only difference from a standard BOA regional was that Hidalgo received a score in finals instead of marching in exhibition

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts:

(Houston)

Block 1: Hendrickson pulls out of LaJoya and heads east for Houston. Pearland must have some bad luck with the performance draw. Once again, they will be one of the first bands to go on. Klein will most likely receive the highest score out of the first block. Should be good enough for top 10.

Block 2: I'm wondering what Alvin has up their sleeve this year since they will be attending the Houston & Arlington Regionals. I've heard the program has made major strides lately. We'll see. The bands advancing to Finals out of this block will be Langham Creek & Cedar Park. Clear Lake also has a legit shot.

Block 3: In my opinion, the toughest block of the day. Winston Churchill, Brazoswood, Cypress Falls, Lewisville & Friendswood all going at it. I'm especially looking forward to Friendswood...2003 4A State Silver Medalist & 2005 Texas 4A Honor Band Champion. Although they didn't so hot at the 2002 Huntsville Regional, Friendswood 2003 & 2004 was so much better than the band from '02. It would be GREAT to see a Texas 4A band in a BOA Regional Final. It doesn't happen often.

Block 4: Clear Brook should grab a Finalist spot. I'm not sold on The Colony just yet. I hope they return to their glory days soon. They were one heck of a band in the 1990's-early 2000's. 2004 Huntsville Regional Class AAA Champion, James Bowie, & 2004 Grand National Finalist, Stephen F. Austin, will round out the top 10.

Exhibition: Wow. It's about time! I've always wanted Willowridge to perform at a BOA competition. The most entertaining and best high school show band that I have ever seen. These kids are a class act as well.

--------

(LaJoya)

I'm not really familiar with the Valley bands, so I don't have much to say. It looks like this will be Harlingen's competition to lose. I hope Rio Grande City does well. A friend of mine is their drill designer. And, I'm interested to see how PSJA North does at this regional. They will be the first Valley band ever to attend BOA Grand Nationals.

(LaJoya)

I'm not really familiar with the Valley bands, so I don't have much to say. It looks like this will be Harlingen's competition to lose. I hope Rio Grande City does well. A friend of mine is their drill designer. And, I'm interested to see how PSJA North does at this regional. They will be the first Valley band ever to attend BOA Grand Nationals.

Locks for Finals (in alpha order):

Edinburgh North

Harlingen

La Joya

MacArthur

McAllen

Roma

Sharyland

United

William H. Taft

That leaves only one spot. Donna, Harlingen South, and Rio Grande City will be the three schools fighting for it. I have been impressed with Donna and Harlingen South in the past and I know the staff over at Rio Grande City has been working to make year successful.

It's expected that Harlingen will win. MacArthur will more than likely be their main competition. Valley bands are very fierce when it comes to competiting against one another...Let's see how close I am with the predictions.

I wanted to be there to cheer on my school, but I have a clinic at Laredo Nixon the same day *sigh*.

I absolutely can't wait for the houston BOA show, its my band's second year to go to a BOA regional and i am so excited. thank god Rita didn't destroy houston or things would have to change... i love the thrill of performing in front of that many people, its such an adrenaline rush. i can't wait to see everyone's show and good luck to all of ya!

^blah blah blah ..shut up maneul..lol

um we arent going this year ..cause...well i dont have to tell u ...hahaha

last year we got drill like less than a week before the regional ..so we decided not to go to it..as for this year....well we just had so much fun at arlington that we decided to go there instead..lol :D

• 1 month later...