Essentially, we didn't want to get into trouble with hosting mp3s and videos on our site. BOA has started cracking down on pirating of any kind and personally, I'm not about to lose this site over it. Skramp took his site down because of a similiar situation so we figured we would follow suit. Any distribution of audio or video content, whether it is original or copied material, without the proper permissions, is illegal.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It's a touchy subject and we do not want to rub people the wrong way.

• 2 weeks later...

If the media portion of TxBands doesn't come back up, I'm pretty sure that people will find their ways to get their hands on the tracks they want. The commonly mentioned problem is the price placed on the CD's and DVD's produced. Although I don't like seeing a $100 price tag on the Grand Nat'l or DCI Finals DVD, I understand why it's so expensive. So much is put into those DVD's. The time it takes to edit, add special features, etc... is just plain time consuming, so I understand the pricing. On the DVD's. From what I've seen, the CD's seem to be relatively affordable.

Personally, I wish Music for All and DCI would just put their music on iTunes and other music services. Buying $2.99 recordings from DCI is ridiculous to me... you can't tell me that a recording of Phantom Regiment (a recording where sounds are constantly in different places, causing quality issues every-so-often) is worth more than a single song off of a John Mayer album recorded in a studio. If my logic is flawed, please explain this to me. Even if DCI or Music for All didn't move to music download services, they could at least use mp3's, a file format that could be used on ALL portable music devices (besides, iPods make up about 90% of the portable music device market share)! Plus, they have more to gain than lose by seeling their music on iTunes and similar services. Both activities would definitely gain more exposure, which I think would be great! This crazy marching band/drum corps thing definitely has a niche market,which happens to be pretty widespread (just look pay attention to the crowd shown on the DCI/Grand Nats DVD's). To me, the move to iTunes is a no brainer, it's simply more money and more exposure. As they say in the PR world, "No publicity is BAD publicity!"

QUOTE (rsb3 @ Dec 30 2006, 02:05 AM)
If the media portion of TxBands doesn't come back up, I'm pretty sure that people will find their ways to get their hands on the tracks they want. The commonly mentioned problem is the price placed on the CD's and DVD's produced. Although I don't like seeing a $100 price tag on the Grand Nat'l or DCI Finals DVD, I understand why it's so expensive. So much is put into those DVD's. The time it takes to edit, add special features, etc... is just plain time consuming, so I understand the pricing. On the DVD's. From what I've seen, the CD's seem to be relatively affordable.

Personally, I wish Music for All and DCI would just put their music on iTunes and other music services. Buying $2.99 recordings from DCI is ridiculous to me... you can't tell me that a recording of Phantom Regiment (a recording where sounds are constantly in different places, causing quality issues every-so-often) is worth more than a single song off of a John Mayer album recorded in a studio. If my logic is flawed, please explain this to me. Even if DCI or Music for All didn't move to music download services, they could at least use mp3's, a file format that could be used on ALL portable music devices (besides, iPods make up about 90% of the portable music device market share)! Plus, they have more to gain than lose by seeling their music on iTunes and similar services. Both activities would definitely gain more exposure, which I think would be great! This crazy marching band/drum corps thing definitely has a niche market,which happens to be pretty widespread (just look pay attention to the crowd shown on the DCI/Grand Nats DVD's). To me, the move to iTunes is a no brainer, it's simply more money and more exposure. As they say in the PR world, "No publicity is BAD publicity!"

It would be nice if they moved to iTunes, but that just make it even easier for people to share the music illegaly. I have no problem with spending 2.99 on an APD so long as it is supporting the corps.

like someone said earlier $$$>love of the activity

are you joking me?

ok ya, they edit it nicly, but there not spending that much of a significant time to charge ppl 100 dollors

lol just steal your directors copy of highcam the night after the regional (j/k for all who think im serious)

just start uploading them to rapid share and post the links on a warez site...if the government cant take down the warez sites, what would make you think boa can?

anyways..most warez sites have there forum servers in china or somewhere overseas

are you joking me?

ok ya, they edit it nicly, but there not spending that much of a significant time to charge ppl 100 dollors

lol just steal your directors copy of highcam the night after the regional (j/k for all who think im serious)

just start uploading them to rapid share and post the links on a warez site...if the government cant take down the warez sites, what would make you think boa can?

anyways..most warez sites have there forum servers in china or somewhere overseas

Yes... I'm joking you. Do you really have any idea how time consuming video editing is? Hours are spent just to make sure transitions are smooth, audio is correctly lined up, etc... And that just counts for mere seconds out of the full video. Imagine just how many hours are put into making a quality DVD with HOURS of video on it. The DCI and BOA DVD's are different in the fact that they just don't involve a menu screens. Realistically, I would say that $100 is a fair price for those DVD's just because of the sheer volume of video packed onto the disc. When you've got hours of video like the Grand Nats or Finals Night DVD's, lots of editing has to be done so that it actually looks professional. While I don't like paying $100... that doesn't mean that I won't admit that it probably is the correct price. And i'm not a huge fan of illegally downloading music. Also, as far as being willing to pay $2.99 for an APD - I'd do it - I just feel that price is inflated. The actual file format of the DCI tracks bugs me more than the price. I too am happy to support a corps in many ways, hope I didn't give the opposite impression.

QUOTE (mnkyman @ Dec 30 2006, 03:53 AM)
are you joking me?

You'd be surprised at how much detail is put into producing the DCI World Championship & BOA Grand National DVD's. They spend months on it.

Check out a behind the scenes look of the making of the 2006 DCI DVD's. Tom Blair has also been producing the BOA Grand National DVD's since 2005.

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=b...02-3ab88b67096b

QUOTE (rsb3 @ Dec 30 2006, 04:56 AM)
Yes... I'm joking you. Do you really have any idea how time consuming video editing is? Hours are spent just to make sure transitions are smooth, audio is correctly lined up, etc... And that just counts for mere seconds out of the full video. Imagine just how many hours are put into making a quality DVD with HOURS of video on it. The DCI and BOA DVD's are different in the fact that they just don't involve a menu screens. Realistically, I would say that $100 is a fair price for those DVD's just because of the sheer volume of video packed onto the disc. When you've got hours of video like the Grand Nats or Finals Night DVD's, lots of editing has to be done so that it actually looks professional. While I don't like paying $100... that doesn't mean that I won't admit that it probably is the correct price. And i'm not a huge fan of illegally downloading music. Also, as far as being willing to pay $2.99 for an APD - I'd do it - I just feel that price is inflated. The actual file format of the DCI tracks bugs me more than the price. I too am happy to support a corps in many ways, hope I didn't give the opposite impression.

Yeah i hate wma. Its not too hard to convert it but it is a pain

QUOTE (whitewing09 @ Dec 30 2006, 05:34 PM)
does anyone know where i could get my hands on the audio thingy of Beyond Perimeters???

IM me.

I'll hook you up with Ronald Reagan's mp3 from 2003 BOA Grand National Finals. Which by the way is awesome compared to the San Antonio Finals performance. I loved the changes that were made and the show was so much cleaner at GN.

I'm sorry. I can go get a 2 and a half hour full length movie that costed the producers millions of dollars, months of filming and editing, large scale distribution all for $20.

I realize that there are many things that help the prices stay low that DCI/BOA is lacking such as a much larger market, mass production, and many large corporate sponsers, but still, $100 is ridiculous.

I realize that there are many things that help the prices stay low that DCI/BOA is lacking such as a much larger market, mass production, and many large corporate sponsers, but still, $100 is ridiculous.

Yep! That's EXACTLY why DCI/BOA prices are so drastically different than other DVD titles. The factors you speak of (too many to list or get into) pretty much count for the $100 price tag. And yes, it does suck... maybe we should all just make a TxBands General Media Fund for us poor members who can't buy the CD's and DVD's. Who's with me!? B):lol: