UIL 5A Area F 2023

13 minutes ago, Mello46372864 said:

I don’t think the comps before area matter, there have been a loads of times that bands improve ten fold in the last 2 weeks, guess we will see though, the rain the past weeks definitely doesn’t help anyone (except colleyville and their band indoor field 

Yeah bands do improve alot but sometimes it just comes down to the show design and creativity at the end of the day. Nothing to do with how much “better” the kids are because everyone works just as hard as each other. Of course if your show is harder to execute then you will get points if you execute it well. So yeah there are limits to band’s potential in their show design. And even if you have your best run you still might loose but it isn’t your fault. Everyone band deserves to be applauded.

2 hours ago, Mello46372864 said:

I don’t think the comps before area matter, there have been a loads of times that bands improve ten fold in the last 2 weeks, guess we will see though, the rain the past weeks definitely doesn’t help anyone (except colleyville and their band indoor field 

It would foolish to assume that the previous competitions (whether BoA, US Bands or independent) are irrelevant to this season’s rankings and standings in the area. Yes UIL evaluates with a unique set of variables but historically, shows that are successful at area have had the same success prior to the area competition throughout the season. Also, I doubt Colleyville gets to utilize their indoor field…correct me if I’m wrong. Burleson and Burleson Centennial have indoor football facilities as well and the band very rarely uses them. I know BC hasn’t used theirs this year. 2 reasons…football is always using them AND they’re 60 or 70 yards wide with very little side lines which hinders the ability to rehearse a show.

3 hours ago, Mello46372864 said:

Yeah Colleyvilles indoor facility is for athletics not for marching band I would assume…

3 hours ago, Mello46372864 said:

Are most 5A areas dealing with the weather this weekend?

11 hours ago, AverageTrombonePlayer said:

Are most 5A areas dealing with the weather this weekend?

F is most definitely affected smh. I live not too far from where Area is for F on Saturday and it's been raining cats and dogs all week and is supposed to through the weekend as well. 🤦‍♂️

So what would make a band more prepared to perform through the rain? I don’t think any area F qualifying band is uninformed on the weather outlook and somehow gets thrown off guard on Saturday because of it. All the bands are in the same boat going into this. Also, powerhouse schools don’t get to be a powerhouse by letting a little rain get in their way.

I think the biggest factor would be making sure the band is prepared for a prelims run that gets them to state instead of to finals. I know you always want each time to be the best but human nature can kick in when you know you're good enough for a mediocre performance to get you into finals comfortably. Might not have that luxury this time. It's also probably more nerve-wracking with an early time hoping you stick in the judges' minds. 

Rain can certainly alter performance, usage of electronics, and props. 

22 hours ago, texastrumpetdad said:

So what would make a band more prepared to perform through the rain? I don’t think any area F qualifying band is uninformed on the weather outlook and somehow gets thrown off guard on Saturday because of it. All the bands are in the same boat going into this. Also, powerhouse schools don’t get to be a powerhouse by letting a little rain get in their way.

Some bands have completed practice runs in the rain already this week. I think that is one way to be prepared to perform in the rain. I hope all the bands get to perform without rain being a factor and that there is time to get finals in as well. It currently looks like afternoon bands will have better weather. The word on the street is that finals will still happen if they can be completed by midnight.

On 10/25/2023 at 9:20 PM, texastrumpetdad said:

1 minute ago, ViewyBucket said:

How is this rain delay gonna affect the Everman? They are a clear favorite to win this contest but the rain delay might interfere with this

Everman is by far too good of a band to be affected by the precipitation. Seeing as they are the most apt band at the competition, I highly doubt that anything can knock their score off to a significant extent; subsequently, they should still take home the W, and steal the show. 🌱

20 minutes ago, Forreal_EuphoniumUp said:

Everman is by far too good of a band to be affected by the precipitation. Seeing as they are the most apt band at the competition, I highly doubt that anything can knock their score off to a significant extent; subsequently, they should still take home the W, and steal the show. 🌱

Of course Everman is going to be the clear winner. But clearly they are the ones utilizing bowls in Centennials indoor facilities which clearly means they aren't adapt for the rain. This is throw off their score. 

image0.png

Burleson Centennial show is entitled Breakaway. It’s themed from Kelly Clarkson’s song of the same name. The colorguard looked fantastic with their added outfits. All of the new visuals added were fantastic and the show was the cleanest it’s been all season. Great music and marching overall! Soloist were spot on! Percussion…wow! Speechless…what DCI group did they recruit this battery from???