2023 Mansfield Preview of Champions (Sept. 23)

celesta

1. L.V. Berkner H.S. (85.77)
2. Colleyville Heritage H.S. (83.90)
3. Lake Ridge H.S. (79.87)
4. Legacy H.S. (77.07)
5. Summit H.S. (74.70)
6. Timberview H.S. (68.47)
7. Brewer H.S. (68.37)
8. DeSoto H.S. (59.60)
9. Juan Seguin H.S. (58.23)
10. Ranchview H.S. (56.20)

Music: L.V. Berkner H.S.
Visual: Colleyville Heritage H.S.
Guard: Colleyville Heritage H.S.
Percussion: Colleyville Heritage H.S.

6 minutes ago, celesta said:

1. L.V. Berkner H.S. (85.77)
2. Colleyville Heritage H.S. (83.90)
3. Lake Ridge H.S. (79.87)
4. Legacy H.S. (77.07)
5. Summit H.S. (74.70)
6. Timberview H.S. (68.47)
7. Brewer H.S. (68.37)
8. DeSoto H.S. (59.60)
9. Juan Seguin H.S. (58.23)
10. Ranchview H.S. (56.20)

Music: L.V. Berkner H.S.
Visual: Colleyville Heritage H.S.
Guard: Colleyville Heritage H.S.
Percussion: Colleyville Heritage H.S.

So was colleyville music just Bad? Don’t see how someone can get three captions meaning they shined brighter in 3 different areas then get second. Also Berkner was good but……

15 minutes ago, vandi said:

So was colleyville music just Bad? Don’t see how someone can get three captions meaning they shined brighter in 3 different areas then get second. Also Berkner was good but……

One of the quirks of Mansfield judging, maybe.

I will say that Colleyville's approach to music has changed a bit, probably because of director changes. They're louder but they also push their limits and sound a bit edgier than the past two years. I don't think that's enough to justify that large of a point gap, though.

I don't think the results from today are anomalous, though. Berkner placed two spots under Colleyville at BOA Prosper last year solely because their closer was extremely dirty (6th in music vs 24th in visual... not normal.) If they didn't field their closer, they would have placed much higher, barring any potential penalties.

15 minutes ago, celesta said:

One of the quirks of Mansfield judging, maybe.

I will say that Colleyville's approach to music has changed a bit, probably because of director changes. They're louder but they also push their limits and sound a bit edgier than the past two years. I don't think that's enough to justify that large of a point gap, though.

I don't think the results from today are anomalous, though. Berkner placed two spots under Colleyville at BOA Prosper last year solely because their closer was extremely dirty (6th in music vs 24th in visual... not normal.) If they didn't field their closer, they would have placed much higher, barring any potential penalties.

Just a silly little quirk

1 hour ago, Forreal_EuphoniumUp said:

What about Berkner’s music made such a huge difference in scoring, though? Was it harder?

Berkner had pretty challenging music yeah, the woodwinds were solid and the brass had difficult fast notes to execute and they did it well. Colleyville had challenging music too but yeah idk it is what it is. In a different scoring system Colleyville wouldve taken first because in area visuals counts as much as music i think

3 minutes ago, 5abands said:

Berkner had pretty challenging music yeah, the woodwinds were solid and the brass had difficult fast notes to execute and they did it well. Colleyville had challenging music too but yeah idk it is what it is. In a different scoring system Colleyville wouldve taken first because in area visuals counts as much as music i think

3 music and 2 visual judges for area, so it still could have gone either way