Hmm, I've been wondering the same thing myself. It should strike a balance between heavy hitting and techincal... it should have embedded slow sections... and it should have an awesome ending. The intro I'm not so sure about though.... should it just rip right into the show, or should it build? That, I am not sure of.

Hmm, I've been wondering the same thing myself. It should strike a balance between heavy hitting and techincal... it should have embedded slow sections... and it should have an awesome ending. The intro I'm not so sure about though.... should it just rip right into the show, or should it build? That, I am not sure of.

It depends on the show. Look at Niagara Falls It works for this show to rip right into it. But look at Harmonic Journey Wild Nights (second movement). It builds up into the intensity of it.

So I guess it just depends.

(anybody can give a better example for the build into intensity one name it please)

Ok let me know if this sounds good at all i have been thinking of a good BOA show to do you know something not seriuos but not to easy. I thought maybe trying The Lion King but i don't know let me know on some other ideas/.

While a Lion King show has great visual opporunity, I think you might need something a little more intense, but then again, our band doesn't participate in BOA, and I have never been to one of their competition, so what do I know?

• 5 weeks later...
And that is why I am not a big fan of the BOA system. Just my opinion though.

Too much GE... and it's such a subjective category.

i completely agree with you. i am okay with some GE but dont like how much BOA relies on GE for their overall scoring. but thats just me and yes, i realize that that is just how BOA does it and thats fine. i just dont like it.

but back to the question,

if i could turn any music into a marching show, i have always wanted to do a show with Star Wars music. it wouldnt be as cheezy as you are all thinking right now. i would have a vader and a skywalker dueling it out in the middle of the field, unless that got GE points, i dont know but i have always liked that music.

a star wars show has great potential. too bad john williams is crazy about his own music and no band or corp could ever get the rights to use it (except for far and away... which i think he wrote??)

music of david maslanka. *drools* combination of a child's garden of dreams and symphony no. 4. wow...

beginning of first movement of child's garden... big nice brass fanfares

finale from symphony no. 4.

whew... would be one ofthe greatest shows ever.

Hmm, I think a nice, but unusual progression would be

Holst's 1st Suite in Eb for Military Band: Chacone

Stravinsky's Le Sacre du printemps (The Rite of Spring): Augurs of Spring

Mussorgysky's Pictures at an Exhibition: The Great Gate at Kiev

Dmitri Shostakovich's Opus 110a: Allegro Molto

Reprise of Chacone and Conclusion

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, I think a nice, but unusual progression would be

Holst's 1st Suite in Eb for Military Band: Chacone

Stravinsky's Le Sacre du printemps (The Rite of Spring): Augurs of Spring

Mussorgysky's Pictures at an Exhibition: The Great Gate at Kiev

Dmitri Shostakovich's Opus 110a: Allegro Molto

Reprise of Chacone and Conclusion

Oh man, that sounds like an intense show. I'd love to hear that. Anyway, I am still unsure of whether a show should dive head first into things, or gradually build up. In my show, which I still have to work on, I just dove straight into things. Perhaps a bit foolhardy, but, I'm still just a beginner, so, I can claim ignorance and naivete...lol.

- mindfulmusician

Ha, I'm not sure really... There are really good ways to go about starting balls out and lots of good ways of starting out delicately and building... my current work in progress builds into it, but that's just me. I may do the next one differently. who knows? But yeah, that selection of pieces would be rather intense. I have never heard a marching rendition of Shostakovich's op110; that's probably because it is incredibly technical though... I dunno. You would think a Drum Corp would want to tackle such a thing; surely the judges would be very impressed. That's just my thinking though.

whats up with John Williams???

If there are band arrangements of his music for concert why couldnt you use them for a show??? I mean anyone could play the Star Wars Suite for BOA Conc. Band Festival if they REALLY wanted to (lol) and then its on the DVD and BAM

so is it a copyright issue? ohhhhhhhhh maybe its like ARRANGING the music for marching band...???

Thats a cryin shame cuz I listen to his orchestral music and I actually thinkg he would make an AMAZING MB writer - he really knows what to do with the brass and a lot of his woodwind work is interesting AND difficult (or vice versa lol)

poooooooo on John Williams