Haha! IT IS COMPLETE!

Hoolllyyy crap, I finally got a chance to really sit down and work on SOAC for the first time in like 2 weeks, and so I finished it this afternoon. It's pretty friggin' awesome, I must say. I mean, I reallly like it. You may not. But that's ok. I'm still really proud of this show. Here, have a listen, tell me what you think!

So, without further adue, Suite of Assorted Cataclysms:

http://rapidshare.de/files/9006534/Suite_o...clysms.mp3.html

I liked the music in general, and, it was cool, since I've heard this piece at 3 different stages, to finally hear a finished product. What I would criticize you on is the fact that there wasn't a "ballad" of sorts...nothing that was too lyrical. Nothing that made the band sound "pretty." However, that's all I can think of to say at this moment. Perhaps I'll comment later if I can think of any other comments.

- mm

Yeah...

Oh, here's the list of sections in the show:

1. Intro

2. Mvt 1: Blizzard

3. Mvt 2: Brave New World?

4. Mvt 3: Blood Hail and Fire

5. Mvt 4: The Four Horsemen

6. Restatement of Intro and Minor Canon

7. Mvt 5: Death and rebirth

8. Conclusion

Here's how to tell what they are:

1. It'sat the beginning... of course...

2. Starts at the quiet spot right before the tubular bells and xylophone solo, right before it gets realy friggin' loud

3.The slow part after the tubular bell + xylophone soli and brass build

4. After the pause after Brave New World?. Starts with the repeated note in low brass and the french horn chord.

5. Starts with the 5 octave chromatic/ augmented chord build up and slow augmented chord hits.

6. Starts when you hear the intro again... instead of the original halftime part of the intro now though, there is a minor canon of sorts.

7.Occures right after the modified, minor extended, authentic cadence. It starts as a 3-4 section. Notice, the Death is focused in on the accelerando section, while rebirth occures right afterwards and is presented as themes from each of the different parts of the show, except modified to major chord structures.

8. Jsut a standard conclusion witha reiteration of the transition between Blizzard and Brave New World?.

I liked the music in general, and, it was cool, since I've heard this piece at 3 different stages, to finally hear a finished product. What I would criticize you on is the fact that there wasn't a "ballad" of sorts...nothing that was too lyrical. Nothing that made the band sound "pretty." However, that's all I can think of to say at this moment. Perhaps I'll comment later if I can think of any other comments.

Does a show need a slow movement?

• 2 months later...

Holy WOW!

I wish I were... 1.... 100th the composer you are goodness

I have to agree the drumset thing sounds a little odd - but your Midi driver or program is like... it sounds a lot better than mine -especially all those cymbal / auxillary / pit kinda sounds TONS better than Finale

WHat program do you use?

I think my favorite movement is blizzard (like I said Im in love with ostinatos) and the 4 horseman

and I like the little jazzyness in the intro

somethings: Im no expert... but I doubt youd ever find a marching band with the capacity to play this - maybe if you somehow got all the best musicians from every band and put them together, but still wow

I've run into the same thing when Im writing though my theory teacher goes "did you want people to actually PLAY this, or is it just midi music?" then I go sulk while I fix the whole danged thing

what else

the fact that you have a "how to tell them apart" post means your audience is probably going to be a bit lost / minds reeling after 10+ minutes of pure intensity

once again a "live performance" issue

but once again - totally amazing. I hope someday someone can/will perform this as it is in its original pure state - the show potential is really there

SUPERBE :)

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much; and yes, I do seem to have trouble toning down the difficulty level of the things I write, unfortunately. And, indeed, this show is in fact a very constant, in your face, and quite violent show. I like it, but it would be really hard to hold up the intensity the whole way through.

• 8 months later...