Mansfield Marching Contest 2017

What a great contest!! I was very glad to have been there. Surprising scores! But I think they pretty much reflected what happened.

Haltom's playing was like silk. They play a lot of long phrases, a lot of notes, and they play them so well. They have a very balanced ensemble sound, and their brass is very centered. They don't play "loud" very much at all, but they play "full" enough that it doesn't matter so much regarding stage presence. They march well, too. I thought their finals performance was a tad better than their prelims; there was a little bit more cohesiveness and execution that made the repertoire sparkle a bit more. They played all the way to the end, although it looks like that they have a few more sets to learn.

Highland Park... what can I say? While their shown repertoire and design was, in my opinion, a B- or a C+... THEY. SOLD. IT. It was their passion that everyone was purchasing, and nothing could hold them back. I can almost guarantee you that every single member of that band -- half the size of Haltom! -- was BOUGHT IN and believed fully in both their goal and the resources to get there. They were the highlight of the contest. They marched cleanly. Their stage presence was enormous, considering their size. Out of all the bands there, they had the most heart. (And, incidentally, the most heart-shaped sets; it was a show about getting married). This is the reason I love this activity, folks. It's amazing, not because it's "marching band," but because it's an effective outlet for being human. And let me tell you, these kids did a very human thing: they achieved their potential because they believed in what they had and they confidently followed through. Highlander band... you've won a new fan today!

Richland... what can I say? It was a rough run in finals for them. It was sort of restrained, but strangely also loose. Plus, they performed a small chunk of their closer, while both Haltom and Highland Park had their entire closers (musically) on and were performing them pretty well. There were moments where Richland was pushing more decibels and steam than anyone else at the contest, but then the energy sank to awkward registers. Need more people playing consistently! The Haltom and Highland Park had them outstripped on that. But, I think the show is in the slow-cooker right now. Great visual general effect moments, though. If there was a VGE caption, I think they would have won it handily. And their guard is improving over past years.

Lake Ridge and Forney were good, but a bit of a step down from the top three. Sort of like comparing plain chocolate ice cream to rocky road. Lake Ridge was very probably the largest band there at the contest. They had a great stage presence. Their show was pretty well constructed. They marched pretty cleanly; I wouldn't be surprised if they scored top 3 in that caption. Forney had a little less energy than Lake Ridge in finals, and they didn't march as well. But both were clearly in the top 5. Forney ended with a slick jazzy section, which made me happy on the inside.

Trinity had some of the best and most consistent brass projection at the contest. It was really a unexpected treat. (Call me unsophisticated, but I love me some loud brass more than almost anything else.) They didn't have quite the energy that Highland Park did -- no one did, really -- but there is something of a comparison there between them to be made.

After that, it was a jump down to Burleson Centennial (not to be confused with Frisco Centennial, which probably would have scored mid- to upper-80's at this contest). Burleson Centennial is pretty small, but they had a really nice field presence and a fun Carmen show.

Lovejoy reminds me of Birdville. It was very controlled, very consistent, no over extension, not really any stick-outs, and pretty clean. Their show was fun -- "Metamorphosis" -- and had some cool effects from the guard in the closer.

Azle had some neat uniforms. Their guard and percussion were burning up! Both prelims and finals. It was slick! I think they used shotgun mic's to amplify their wind's sound, which I thought was interesting. I'm still thinking about how I feel about that, personally.

South Grand Prairie had neat LED props for their show, "Press Play." Good projection from the brass. They were one of the only others bands that performed just through the ballad, I think.

What a great contest!! I was very glad to have been there. Surprising scores! But I think they pretty much reflected what happened.

Haltom's playing was like silk. They play a lot of long phrases, a lot of notes, and they play them so well. They have a very balanced ensemble sound, and their brass is very centered. They don't play "loud" very much at all, but they play "full" enough that it doesn't matter so much regarding stage presence. They march well, too. I thought their finals performance was a tad better than their prelims; there was a little bit more cohesiveness and execution that made the repertoire sparkle a bit more. They played all the way to the end, although it looks like that they have a few more sets to learn.

Highland Park... what can I say? While their shown repertoire and design was, in my opinion, a B- or a C+... THEY. SOLD. IT. It was their passion that everyone was purchasing, and nothing could hold them back. I can almost guarantee you that every single member of that band -- half the size of Haltom! -- was BOUGHT IN and believed fully in both their goal and the resources to get there. They were the highlight of the contest. They marched cleanly. Their stage presence was enormous, considering their size. Out of all the bands there, they had the most heart. (And, incidentally, the most heart-shaped sets; it was a show about getting married). This is the reason I love this activity, folks. It's amazing, not because it's "marching band," but because it's an effective outlet for being human. And let me tell you, these kids did a very human thing: they achieved their potential because they believed in what they had and they confidently followed through. Highlander band... you've won a new fan today!

Richland... what can I say? It was a rough run in finals for them. It was sort of restrained, but strangely also loose. Plus, they performed a small chunk of their closer, while both Haltom and Highland Park had their entire closers (musically) on and were performing them pretty well. There were moments where Richland was pushing more decibels and steam than anyone else at the contest, but then the energy sank to awkward registers. Need more people playing consistently! The Haltom and Highland Park had them outstripped on that. But, I think the show is in the slow-cooker right now. Great visual general effect moments, though. If there was a VGE caption, I think they would have won it handily. And their guard is improving over past years.

Lake Ridge and Forney were good, but a bit of a step down from the top three. Sort of like comparing plain chocolate ice cream to rocky road. Lake Ridge was very probably the largest band there at the contest. They had a great stage presence. Their show was pretty well constructed. They marched pretty cleanly; I wouldn't be surprised if they scored top 3 in that caption. Forney had a little less energy than Lake Ridge in finals, and they didn't march as well. But both were clearly in the top 5. Forney ended with a slick jazzy section, which made me happy on the inside.

Trinity had some of the best and most consistent brass projection at the contest. It was really a unexpected treat. (Call me unsophisticated, but I love me some loud brass more than almost anything else.) They didn't have quite the energy that Highland Park did -- no one did, really -- but there is something of a comparison there between them to be made.

After that, it was a jump down to Burleson Centennial (not to be confused with Frisco Centennial, which probably would have scored mid- to upper-80's at this contest). Burleson Centennial is pretty small, but they had a really nice field presence and a fun Carmen show.

Lovejoy reminds me of Birdville. It was very controlled, very consistent, no over extension, not really any stick-outs, and pretty clean. Their show was fun -- "Metamorphosis" -- and had some cool effects from the guard in the closer.

Azle had some neat uniforms. Their guard and percussion were burning up! Both prelims and finals. It was slick! I think they used shotgun mic's to amplify their wind's sound, which I thought was interesting. I'm still thinking about how I feel about that, personally.

South Grand Prairie had neat LED props for their show, "Press Play." Good projection from the brass. They were one of the only others bands that performed just through the ballad, I think.

I'm a former parent of haltom and from what I heard they have an outro that will be added

I was very suprised that centennial did not win the percussion caption at this event. The amount of difficult notes they were throwing down along with how clean they were was quite astounding for a high school group. But nontheless, congrats to azle for a well deserved caption and a great finals performance

I was very suprised that centennial did not win the percussion caption at this event. The amount of difficult notes they were throwing down along with how clean they were was quite astounding for a high school group. But nontheless, congrats to azle for a well deserved caption and a great finals performance

Agreed....I loved their battery feature.  I didn't hear Azle but they had to have been insanely good to beat Centennial.