Ideal number of people in a band

I'd say a total number of performers ranging 160-200. That way your band isn't so large as to have essentially no mobility, which means crappy/boring drill, and the pathetic if ever so strangely useful advantage of being able to hide the poor musical skills of weaker performers behind a horde of people (especially with winds, whom can just kind've follow their section around and pretend to play). A 160-200 person band, if directed right, can be a far more elite group than bands that are excessively large through the ability to put not only better drill on but the grater necessity of good playing in order to compete with the very large bands; it also takes away the excuse of "larger bands hiding their mistakes" from those viewing it.

holy crap! has any body heard them play? i bet that is a pretty awesome sound.

It is really amazing to FEEL the sound in your body.

And they move around quite a bit too. During the drum feature they did:

- The Vertical Lines to S's back to Vertical Lines move.

- The Big Diamond to 4 Smaller Diamonds back to Big Diamond move.

- A 4-to-5 block pass-through

- The Diamonds to X's to Diamonds move.

All at the same time!

I'm a Drum Corps fanatic, so I think that the Allen Marching Band's size is the most absolutely stupid thing to ever exist. That's more like a Mongolian horde given instruments than a true band... not to say that the players are necessarily bad, but there just really isn't much skill required to fill in a form when there is 600 people to make them. Lining it up (musically and visually) would be the only great challenge, and even then their chance for serious error (let's just call such errors "marching solos") is close to non-existant. They should be limited to exhibition, if they aren't already... unless of course two large 5A bands can combine to make one comparable band.

There freakin huge, i've always wanted to hear them play. Any know if there any good?

They are definitely something that you have to experience.

They have really good marching fundamentals and as I have said before, they actually do move around quite a bit, and every time they have straight-line formations, they are always really straight, even in the transformations.

They also have an amazing sound that will blow your hair back even from the top of the stands in the largest of stadiums. And even though they are loud, their sound is not blatty or harsh like most other bands that try to play really loud and amazingly, even though they are spread from goal to goal, they generally don't have any problems with phasing.

They are definitely something that you have to experience.

They have really good marching fundamentals and as I have said before, they actually do move around quite a bit, and every time they have straight-line formations, they are always really straight, even in the transformations.

They also have an amazing sound that will blow your hair back even from the top of the stands in the largest of stadiums. And even though they are loud, their sound is not blatty or harsh like most other bands that try to play really loud and amazingly, even though they are spread from goal to goal, they generally don't have any problems with phasing.

big advantage for the football team too, god their band was so LOUD in the webcast and the other bands in other webcasts...nothing at all...too bad Allen lost to Southlake Carroll aha.

And they didn't get mad or anything when we beat them... they we're actually very upstanding about it and cooridinated their yelling to where they congratulated us from across the stadium. And, when we walked by them shortly afterward and there was no one else around, even either band's directors, they didn't jump us! Lmao, man, it would've been a slaughter; like 2 on 1... lmao

1 per part

think about how clean it would be

3 trumpets (ahhh :))

3 clarinets

3 flutes

2 alto saxes

it would be so beautiful

but really I would have to say about 4 players per part, maybe a few more on the lower parts (i.e. tuba, 3rd trumpet, low reed, etc.) 9 snares 4 tenors and 6 bases

that would be pretty sweet

and 50 drum majors

^Yep our band is pretty small... about 30 people. Judges commented on how big a sound we had from such a small amount of players. And when I heard about Allens band I almost passed out...

1 per part

think about how clean it would be

3 trumpets (ahhh )

3 clarinets

3 flutes

2 alto saxes

it would be so beautiful

but really I would have to say about 4 players per part, maybe a few more on the lower parts (i.e. tuba, 3rd trumpet, low reed, etc.) 9 snares 4 tenors and 6 bases

that would be pretty sweet

and 50 drum majors

lol, that description sounds almost exactly like my band... exept for the 50 dm part.