2014 BOA Grand Nationals

We have two TX bands making the trip all the way up to BOA Grand Nationals this year; Flower Mound and Wakeland. Both perform in Prelims on Friday:

http://www.musicforall.org/what-we-do/boa-marching-championships/grand-national-championships/grand-national-championships

(All times Eastern)

8:00am - Wakeland

11:15am - Flower Mound

9:00pm - Prelims Awards Ceremony

I am making the trip up to Indianapolis to help out with the BOA GN Live Blog(s), but I won't be able to make it to the stadium before either TX band performs in Prelims (good luck to both, I want to see you in Semis!); the other bloggers will already be there, though, so be sure to check out what they have to say.

Prelims Blog: http://bit.ly/1qEHM2i

Semis Blog: http://bit.ly/1EwhpSm

Finals Blog: http://bit.ly/1v53Qu9

Flower Mound REALLY sparkled just now, that show on the field in Indy is peaking right when it needs to, I'd be surprised if they aren't a finalist.  Not two weeks ago at SA, not last week at State, but right now.  

Wakeland was awesome!  Such a creepy dark show.  Sensemeya was awesome, and that closer is intense!  Fantastic job as well!  I think we'll definetely be seeing them in Semi Finals, maybe finals?  We'll see.  

Flower Mound was absolutely spectacular. They should definitely be in finals, and I'm thinking they'll land towards the middle of the pack (6-9).

Wakeland was great as well, but it's a really competitive year on the bubble. I think they'll end around 18-26, which is more than great for a first showing. They'll probably advance on next 8, seeing that Friday is extremely loaded - to the point where all the medalists and more than half of the finalists (9 even?) could come from today alone.

Flower Mound was absolutely spectacular. They should definitely be in finals, and I'm thinking they'll land towards the middle of the pack (6-9).

Wakeland was great as well, but it's a really competitive year on the bubble. I think they'll end around 18-26, which is more than great for a first showing. They'll probably advance on next 8, seeing that Friday is extremely loaded - to the point where all the medalists and more than half of the finalists (9 even?) could come from today alone.

That's about where I have Wakeland, definitely not bad for Nationals!  I could see them anywhere from 14th - 20th, which is a great place to be.  Who knows with those on field captions, stuff can get crazy!  We'll see!  

So basically, the advancers are:

• Top 11 from both days of prelims
  • The next eight highest scores regardless of day
  • Any class representation necessary to make sure at least two bands from each class from each day performs

Then the performance schedule is

• The class advancers (5 this year)
  • 4 of the bands ranked 23-30 of the advancers (I'm not sure how common it is, but it's very possible that a band could be in the top 30 overall, yet not make semi-finals because of severely imbalanced days - 11 bands have to make it from both days. So say 11 made it from Friday, and all of the next 8 made it from Friday too and they were all the top 19 overall. Say the 20th place band was also from Friday, and 21-31 were all from Thursday. Unless 20th place needed to make it in on class representation, they would not make semi-finals, while 31st did.)
  • the top 22 of the advancers, regardless of day, regardless of who was top 11 on whatever day (for example, this year there are 8 from Thursday and 14 on Friday)
  • The other 4 bands ranked 23-30 of the advancers

Kinda confusing, but that's how it is. And you can backtrack and figure out where all the bands placed in prelims.

And here are performance times: (All times Eastern)

8:00 PM - Flower Mound (TX)
8:15 PM - Wando (SC)
8:30 PM - Kennesaw Mountain (GA)
8:45 PM - Homestead (IN)
9:00 PM - Tarpon Springs (FL)
9:15 PM - Avon (IN)
9:30 PM - Carmel (IN)
9:45 PM - Union (OK)
10:00 PM - Marian Catholic (IL)
10:15 PM - Broken Arrow (OK)
10:30 PM - Lawrence Township (IN)
10:45 PM - William Mason (OH)

Flower Mound is yet again cursed with a super early performance time. (They went 3rd at San Antonio and 1st in UIL State finals). Hopefully it doesn't make too big of a difference tonight!

Looking at recaps, Wakeland came in 15th in semi's. Only about 1.5 points out of finals! That's the first visual award a Texas band has taken home from GN since Stephen F. Austin tied in semi's for visual in 2004. Great job Wakeland!

And of course, great job Flower Mound. I'm willing to bet they would have scored closer to William Mason had they performed in the second half of finals. Regardless, 6th place on a first showing? Amazing. Glad they showed everyone San Antonio was a fluke.

Congratulations to Flower Mound!  Wow, 6th in their first nationals!  They should be VERY proud!  

And has there ever been two bands over 97 before?  Both were INCREDIBLE!  Was pulling for Broken Arrow myself, but congrats to Tarpon Springs!  Well deserved!  Hope the Eagle flies back to Texas next year.....I hear there's some major firepower headed up there in 2015.  

Man, Broken Arrow has lost their last two nationals by .15.   Next year........I bet they're going to absolutely bring the heat.  Thought their show was absolutely stunning, I think I understand it now, which brings it to a whole other level.