Area 6A Finals Marching Scores Conversion to 1 - 100

where did you get the scores? (the 1-1000 scores)

Find them here: 

http://uilforms.com/regions/13/AREA%20MARCHING/2014-2015/2014%20RESULTS%20-%20Area%20E%206A.pdf

If you look closely, on the row above the ordinal score, you will see a number from 1 to 999. That is the raw score that the judge gave to the band, in that category, for that performance. The raw score is then ranked from 1 to 20, with the highest raw score getting a 1, and the lowest score getting a 20. 

where did you get the scores? (the 1-1000 scores)

Basically it's what they use to decide what ranking each band gets.  For example, here's an area F recap.  The 1 - 1,000 composite score is above each ranking.  

20141029-5ry-83kb.jpg

Area B:

1)  Marcus - 97.1

2)  Hebron - 93.8

3)  Flower Mound - 91.46

4)  LD Bell - 90.46 (+1)

5)  Haltom - 90.36 (-1)

6)  Mansfield - 89.4

7)  Trinity - 87.9 (+1)

8)  Plano East - 87.62 (-1)

9)  Martin - 86.66

10)  Allen - 83.68

LD Bell and Haltom were extremely close from each judge, and the 1st visual judge had Marcus over Hebron by a margin of 951 - 718, or 3.34 if each of the 5 judges had 20 total points.   That's......interesting.  Basically if they were judged on a scale of 1 - 100, Marcus kinda would have ran away with it.  The gap taking out that judge with the huge discrepancy was only .58, 78.16 for Hebron, and 78.74 for Marcus without the Visual 1 judge.  I wasn't there or don't know what they were watching.....but that's pretty substantial when in comparison to each of the other judges.  

Area F:

1)  Friendswood - 91.28

2)  The Woodlands - 91.06

3)  Spring - 90.58

4)  Pearland - 88.52

5)  North Shore - 87.12 (+1)

6)  Dickinson - 87.32 (+1)

7)  Dawosn - 86.94 (-2)

8)  College Park - 86.18

9)  Brazoswood - 85.6

10) Oak Ridge - 84.42

Basically it's what they use to decide what ranking each band gets.  For example, here's an area F recap.  The 1 - 1,000 composite score is above each ranking.  

20141029-5ry-83kb.jpg

Area B:

1)  Marcus - 97.1

2)  Hebron - 93.8

3)  Flower Mound - 91.46

4)  LD Bell - 90.46 (+1)

5)  Haltom - 90.36 (-1)

6)  Mansfield - 89.4

7)  Trinity - 87.9 (+1)

8)  Plano East - 87.62 (-1)

9)  Martin - 86.66

10)  Allen - 83.68

LD Bell and Haltom were extremely close from each judge, and the 1st visual judge had Marcus over Hebron by a margin of 951 - 718, or 3.34 if each of the 5 judges had 20 total points.   That's......interesting.  

What I found interesting was that three out of the five judges actually gave Haltom a higher score than FloMo in finals. If not for the one, imo, rogue judge who put them in 9th place(really?), Haltom would've been third. The same judge who gave them 9th in finals, ranked them 7th in prelims. He's also the same judge who ranked them low at Mansfield Preview of Champions, when the other judges gave them 1st across the board. Wish I knew what he saw that the other judges did not. It's curious....

Anyway, needless to say...Area B is intensely difficult to get out of to State. Congrats to all bands..and definitely, the LD Bell bashing I've seen on this site is unnecessary. Bands have off years sometimes...*shrug* Haltom missed State in 2012 by one point, after attending State every year from 2000. They came back this year and made it. Such is life in marching band world. lol (especially Area B!)

What I found interesting was that three out of the five judges actually gave Haltom a higher score than FloMo in finals. If not for the one, imo, rogue judge who put them in 9th place(really?), Haltom would've been third. The same judge who gave them 9th in finals, ranked them 7th in prelims. He's also the same judge who ranked them low at Mansfield Preview of Champions, when the other judges gave them 1st across the board. Wish I knew what he saw that the other judges did not. It's curious....

Anyway, needless to say...Area B is intensely difficult to get out of to State. Congrats to all bands..and definitely, the LD Bell bashing I've seen on this site is unnecessary. Bands have off years sometimes...*shrug* Haltom missed State in 2012 by one point, after attending State every year from 2000. They came back this year and made it. Such is life in marching band world. lol (especially Area B!)

So essentially what you are telling us is that LD Bell should have advanced to state, if UIL used raw scores, instead of ordinals? I am not surprised. 

Nor am I surprised by this: LD Bell's raw scores are higher than those of any band in area G. Hence, if LD Bell competed there, not only would they have advanced to state, they would have won Area G. I am not surprised. 

Nothing about UIL surprises me. Nothing at all. 

An interesting analysis.....And it clearly gives evidence that UIL needs region re-alignment. 

I agree.  Area D is packed with extremely good bands, whereas area G is weak.  The six area D bands at state could all make finals this year, while most of the 8 area G bands will be at the bottom of prelims, as usual.  My suggestion - move region 11 to Area D and region 12 to Area G.  This would move up a couple of the Area D bands that should be at state, like Round Rock, Anderson, and Hendrickson, while Reagan, CTJ, and Churchill would be locks out of area G, with other bands like Judson and Wagner also competitive.  Suddenly area D becomes slightly less of a bloodbath, and area G gets two of the top bands in the state (nation) plus a lot of other worthy programs.

So essentially what you are telling us is that LD Bell should have advanced to state, if UIL used raw scores, instead of ordinals? I am not surprised. 

Nor am I surprised by this: LD Bell's raw scores are higher than those of any band in area G. Hence, if LD Bell competed there, not only would they have advanced to state, they would have won Area G. I am not surprised. 

Nothing about UIL surprises me. Nothing at all. 

What about my post says that LD Bell should've gone to State? I'm so confused.....

What about my post says that LD Bell should've gone to State? I'm so confused.....

They scored a 90.46, according to your system. The highest ranking outfit in area G was O'Connor , with an 84.42. I know that there were different panels in the two areas - you don't have to tell me that. Regardless, LD Bell scored significantly higher than any outfit in area G  - so if Bell competed in G, they would be headed to the Alamodome. Your analysis shows that, and I think we all knew that. 

I wish I could put LD Bell in my Wonkavator and magically fly them to the Alamodome....sadly, it will not fly that far. 

I don't really like the scores of UIL. Usually UIL is pretty good about placing 1's and 2's and ranks like that, but I don't think the scores are very accurate. Like I can guarantee you Hebron is not 140 (or however many points it is) behind marcus visually. These also aren't very accurate because I know for a fact marcus isn't 4 points ahead of hebron, and I know bowie isn't four points ahead of CTJ. That is what bugs me about UIL. The scoring system is a horrible way to judge

I don't really like the scores of UIL. Usually UIL is pretty good about placing 1's and 2's and ranks like that, but I don't think the scores are very accurate. Like I can guarantee you Hebron is not 140 (or however many points it is) behind marcus visually. These also aren't very accurate because I know for a fact marcus isn't 4 points ahead of hebron, and I know bowie isn't four points ahead of CTJ. That is what bugs me about UIL. The scoring system is a horrible way to judge

I agree, I think those numbers are merely for getting the placements, if they actually scored in a 1 - 100 way I think they would be more accurate.

And also, like I said, just for fun. I definitely don't take this as an accurate depiction of how far apart or close these bands were. Was just a little break from my music history studying earlier this week. :)

They scored a 90.46, according to your system. The highest ranking outfit in area G was O'Connor , with an 84.42. I know that there were different panels in the two areas - you don't have to tell me that. Regardless, LD Bell scored significantly higher than any outfit in area G  - so if Bell competed in G, they would be headed to the Alamodome. Your analysis shows that, and I think we all knew that. 

I wish I could put LD Bell in my Wonkavator and magically fly them to the Alamodome....sadly, it will not fly that far. 

Ahh, I see....but that is not my system. That belongs to LKendrick.