6a Area D Marching Contest

I don't think it's the UIL judging system that is as bad as the judges themselves. Judges who obviously put other aspects into their judging other than how well it was performed (and personally I feel like difficulty should be a small factor) should be under a list of people who can't judge UIL period. There are judges in UIL that very obviously love the idea of incorporating a theme and using props with your show, well news flash guys, not every band does that. Some just march and play the heck out of their show, others use visual aspects to help their GE and Visual scores in BOA and other competitions.

A 4 spot difference in a bands placement is the border of normal and suspicious, 5 and higher is just crazy at that point. You could argue that the judge might have noticed different things which could be possible, but once it's practically every other band they're definitely not fit to judge UIL.

I have a lot of qualms with the "not fit to judge" line of thinking. Check the resumes of those guys who judged this contest. All of them have had success in the UIL system. The argument does not hold up. Who do you propose should take their place?

I never said it's everyone and I never said judging period, I said UIL judging, which is meant to be only on how well your marching and music is performed. And as for take their place, I honestly have no idea, but other people would be found.

But explain to me the 22 spot margin (9th and 31st) with Smithson Valley who ended up getting 23rd. I'm not saying they're bad b/c I've actually never even heard of them before, but I'm pretty sure someone in that panel prefers one type of show more than the others.

How many of you guys were at finals last night? The one thing I pointed out while I was there is that every one of those bands last night were on par with the bands that made semi finals last year at grand nationals. I wouldn't want to be a judge. I know daniel s. Was supposed to be there last night but his battery died. Can you give us your honest thoughts on finals?

I made sure to watch just about all the predicted "top 10" in prelims, I was even there for Bowie as the second band of the day. I can honestly say that Hendrickson was the cleanest marching wise on the field from prelims. That band has come so far and they, to me, sounded and looked like a state worthy band, and I don't disagree with the placement of first at all. If they were the best band in prelims then they deserved to be first. I was in fact shocked to see such a large drop. I could see moving down 2 or 3 placements but all the way to 8th? This just baffles me especially when bands such as Westlake did not have such a superior run in finals....

I agree. I can tell you that all 10 of the finalist bands deserved to be there. They were all neck and neck. It could have gone either way. (Although I am quite surprised Westwood moved on, but anyways congrats to them). Some people call Bowie's show "boring". Although I can say in my opinion it's not very exciting it is played and marched WONDERFLY.

I made sure to watch just about all the predicted "top 10" in prelims, I was even there for Bowie as the second band of the day. I can honestly say that Hendrickson was the cleanest marching wise on the field from prelims. That band has come so far and they, to me, sounded and looked like a state worthy band, and I don't disagree with the placement of first at all. If they were the best band in prelims then they deserved to be first. I was in fact shocked to see such a large drop. I could see moving down 2 or 3 placements but all the way to 8th? This just baffles me especially when bands such as Westlake did not have such a superior run in finals....

I have to agree on this - the placement of Westlake baffles me - no disrespect intended but there were some obvious musical challenges that occurred. 

Wow on Reagan!  I liked the show when I saw it at BOA Austin, but it is truly stunning now.  They are performing at an extremely high level now.  I find the marching to be quite fantastic - body carriage, spacing, sets locking - terrific. Love the contracting multi-ring circle right before the ballad and some of those helix passthroughs. Very excited to see this in person again at BOA SA!