reagans 2005 music

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Seeing how this thread started as a query about Reagan's music selection, I have no idea how this puerile bashing of the Marcus drumline, a class act group, started. Some people need to grow up.

But the reason I am posting is to contribute my two cents to the discussion on whether Reagan "actually played" the pieces. Montoya's post says it all. The show is basically a set of themes used as a point for a myriad of variations. A strikingly simlilar process was used by Hindemith to compose "Symphonic Metamporphois." The main themes of S.M. are based on piano pieces by Carl Maria Von Veber. Hindemith kept many of the themes almost verbatim, but added much more sophisticated harmonies.

So my question is, why would someone want to hear a complete orchestral piece on the marching band field? Extensive alteration is necessary in almost every case to make it fit the idiom. It just so happens that Reagan's arranger is an amazing composer, who basically performed a "metamorphosis on a metamorphosis." I dont think it gets much cooler than that.

By the way, I think its funny that the poster who was arguing that they didnt "play the pieces" has a blue devils logo on their signature, because Blue Devils 03 is another great example of a "fantasy on the themes of..."

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...