Go listen to some really old shows...

so i went backed and listen to a couple real old shows..and dude...there freaken awesome

westfield 1996 - Into The Unknown - this was also the first year higgy was writing for westfield

they won UIL state that year

Spring 1993 - audio

Spring 1993 - video

they won gran nats that year

this one is 1979 gran nats winnder..look how much a marching competition and marching itself has changed..-btw this is when dm's were made to mark time while they conduct...this is no RCA dome...

Sylva-Webster 1979

about that last video

the quads or tenors..are only 3 drums from what i can tell on the video

and at one point the dm turns to the crowd in a dancing sort of move

lots of straight line marching in this show

the color guard has a modded version of the bands uniform (including plumes)

this one part a color guard girl throw a rifle up..and then runs to go get a flag while another girl catches the rifle

the trumpet "ensemble" in the middle was pretty cool when they played with one hand while standing lesurly

-marching chimes

-trombone solo...

-some very akward to me conduction in the closer

-dude marching has changed a WHOLE LOT

The '79 Grand Nat. Winner.... Wow. It's so weird how much Marching has evoled in just 20+ years. Also, three quads and eight snares? Dude, that's crazy.

High Step Marching is definatly pimptastic. Haha. It looks so much cooler, since you can really see it. It's so much more pronounced than our "toes up" style.

Trumpet solo is amazing! It's so well played and...jazzy.

Glad you found these awesome videos!

so i went backed and listen to a couple real old shows..and dude...there freaken awesome

westfield 1996 - Into The Unknown - this was also the first year higgy was writing for westfield

they won UIL state that year

Spring 1993 - audio

Spring 1993 - video

they won gran nats that year

this one is 1979 gran nats winnder..look how much a marching competition and marching itself has changed..-btw this is when dm's were made to mark time while they conduct...this is no RCA dome...

Sylva-Webster 1979

HOLY CRAP That 1993 drill in the percussion feature is PIMP.

Omg...LD Bell? Its a bit odd that they're not running around...lol. The odd thing is that I say Binary Systems RIGHT before I say the 1964 show...yeah...BIG difference. It's so weird how marching has evolved a LOT over the past few years...I have to agree with the person who said almost as much as computers. Also, I've seen the Spring show before, but it never ceases to amaze me...wow. I mean, that was a ground-breaking show. Anyway, thanks for all of the old media links, everyone.

- mm

about that last video

the quads or tenors..are only 3 drums from what i can tell on the video

and at one point the dm turns to the crowd in a dancing sort of move

lots of straight line marching in this show

the color guard has a modded version of the bands uniform (including plumes)

this one part a color guard girl throw a rifle up..and then runs to go get a flag while another girl catches the rifle

the trumpet "ensemble" in the middle was pretty cool when they played with one hand while standing lesurly

-marching chimes

-trombone solo...

-some very akward to me conduction in the closer

-dude marching has changed a WHOLE LOT

You know, I was talking about this back in the "Military Band" thread. That corps-style marching today is just an evolution from the old-school military-style.

I have old videos of my band from the 80's, when the band high-stepped marking time. And they would start with a march, then do a pop-tune, then a concert transcription. Pretty different from what bands do nowadays.

Of course If by some time travel freak, old school band people would see what bands are doing now, they'd probably wet themselves just the same.

Edit: Just saw LD Bell's 1963 show...Bell marching military...that's a hoot! :D

• 3 weeks later...